Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #10,411 of 11,345
  Incremental mods of the  Daenerys T50RP

Dampen with wool and cotton

New Mods

Nice job!  I'm patiently awaiting for my pair of T50RP to arrive for some experimenting 
cool.gif
 what are you using to take measurements with?

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #10,413 of 11,345

I made my own binaural mic connected to a PC's soundcard. I'm using Holmimpulse a freeware frequency chart reader.

http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php

Very cool...this is something I'd like to explore so I can take measurements on upcoming projects.  I'll have to read up on it a bit of course but your charts look good so far!

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #10,415 of 11,345

[size=large]I found 10 feet of CANARE L-4E6S STAR QUAD BALANCED MICROPHONE CABLE BULK 21 AWG 4 conductor cable for $11 on ebay. [/size] It has 2 blue wires and 2 white wires. I'll have to use a multi-meter to identify one of each color wire and mark it. I used the marked wire as the negative conductor.

Classic 4-pin XLR pinout (pin - signal - wire color):
1 - Left +     Blue
2 - Left -      Blue with mark
3 - Right +   White
4 - Right -    White with mark

Since it's a shielded cable I'm going to ground only the amp end of the shield to the connector barrel so the shield will provide interference protection and yet keep the signal lines balanced.

For the amp 4 Pin XLR connection I'm using HiFiMAN's diagram of the female full size 4 pin XLR connector:
http://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/HiFiMAN_Pin_Diagram.gif

Nothing to do with Fostex, but I just thought the coincidence was fun as I just found some Canare L-4E6S and use'd an image from Google images for the pin layout to make a balanced cable for my Sennheisers, it was only just now that I see it's from a robrob and I'm rob80b.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #10,416 of 11,345
WRT earpads is it pretty much foam, foam or foam for the interior ? Are there no companies running a different internal earpad material these days ?

I can get custom earpads made, but uniform/consistent foam cuts is a problem as they have to be machine-pressed don't they ?

I'm looking at running off some wood cups along the lines of Orpheus size (supra-aural end of the scale) or would they be too OTT for the dimensions of the Fostex 50 planar vs the bigger planar discs ?

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #10,417 of 11,345
  WRT earpads is it pretty much foam, foam or foam for the interior ? Are there no companies running a different internal earpad material these days ?

I can get custom earpads made, but uniform/consistent foam cuts is a problem as they have to be machine-pressed don't they ?

I'm looking at running off some wood cups along the lines of Orpheus size (supra-aural end of the scale) or would they be too OTT for the dimensions of the Fostex 50 planar vs the bigger planar discs ?

The only other thing I can think of is 'memory foam', but otherwise standard foam and vary in density.  For example, the stock HiFiMan velour pads have denser foam than the stock Beyerdynamic velour pads, so the Beyers feel softer and more plush initially.  I'd say for consistency, it would be best to have them 'pressed' with some sort of industrial hole punch or possibly utilizing a circular cutter of some sort.  I can't speak much more on that as I've only seen pictures but I've never used either myself.

I think the HD600 is similar in size, maybe even a bit smaller so that may be a better (i.e. more easily accessible) reference.  I know I've seen a few pictures of 'woodied' HD600 around too.  A larger cup shouldn't be an issue for the driver size as it's about the same size as most full-sized dynamic headphone drivers, and could potentially afford the ability to angle the driver a la HD800 or T1. 
cool.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #10,418 of 11,345

I made my own binaural mic connected to a PC's soundcard. I'm using Holmimpulse a freeware frequency chart reader.

http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php

Are there any cheaper commercial alternatives for measuring? I'm not that experienced with it yet, but I have some phones I'm curious of testing. Also how did you make your binaural mic any tutorials you could point me to?
Thanks

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #10,419 of 11,345
Dec 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #10,420 of 11,345
Since some of the popular mods include replacing the stock ear cups with wooden or printed versions, I'm wondering if it would make a difference to apply something to the outside of the stock cups to make the exterior walls thicker.  Sorry if this has been discussed before and I missed it.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #10,421 of 11,345
Are there any cheaper commercial alternatives for measuring? I'm not that experienced with it yet, but I have some phones I'm curious of testing. Also how did you make your binaural mic any tutorials you could point me to?
Thanks

Read Post 1 in the link in my signature. Look for 'Solderdude's' phantom power supply and Panasonic WM-61A mic. Simple for DIY measurements with REW software.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #10,422 of 11,345
Hey guys, im looking at maybe getting a pair of these. I have an O2 amp in the mail and im wondering how well these sound with the O2 and if it can power them decently?? I tried the search but the search mostly popped up with the pads. Whats stopping me from getting a pair of these is im afraid of screwing these up if I was to try and mod them and my wife would kill me if I broke them.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #10,423 of 11,345
Hey guys, im looking at maybe getting a pair of these. I have an O2 amp in the mail and im wondering how well these sound with the O2 and if it can power them decently?? I tried the search but the search mostly popped up with the pads. Whats stopping me from getting a pair of these is im afraid of screwing these up if I was to try and mod them and my wife would kill me if I broke them.

Go slowly. Follow the tutorials. If you break them, send to me and I may be able to repair them for you. No guarantees, but free.

The O2 and ODAC work just fine . Same for Magni and Modi.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #10,425 of 11,345
Would you say it is cheaper to mod myself? Which mod should I do? There's so many haha.

Yes, definitely cheaper to DIY. Look at the DBV3 variation with Paxmate in the baffle compartments, cups, and ear side of the baffle. Add cotton, stiff felt over the back of the drivers, 18 mm treble reflector disks, and Shure pads. Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back