Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #9,796 of 11,346
You don't need the scale or Mic unless you were trying to replicate a recipe precisely. But even then, it probably wouldnt measure identically. You are tuning the headphones to your taste since everyone hears differently. I don't necessarily want a headphone that measures perfectly, I want a headphone that sounds great. Do one mod at a time and learn what it does to the sound. This way you know what to change if you don't like it.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #9,798 of 11,346
Quote:
I got most of my bits from the Uni engineering department or ebay. The T50RP cost me ~£90100, SHure SRH840 pads I already had, but new ones will cost ~£15, the velour SRH940 pads are slightly more at around £20(I got mine from juno.co.uk). Overall cost was around £160. Pads and the pleather suspension band were the most expensive parts for me.

I've been trying to source a cheap seller of T20RPmk2s for a while now, I found one on eBay but he has since gone AWOL over the New Year. The Shure840 pads, the cheapest I've found 'in-stock' (juno constantly being out of stock for me) is thomann.de.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #9,799 of 11,346
I agree.  Do one mod at a time with the intention of eventually getting to DBV #3.  You definitely don't need a scale.  I did my mod entirely without a scale or a microphone and I can tell absolutely no difference between my pair and BMF's "real" DBV #3.  I used a different brand of acoustic foam, different cotton, and different modeling clay than he did, too.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #9,800 of 11,346
I have an inkling that the clay doesn't matter at all.. and that the acoustic foam and the specifics of it probably doesn't matter much. I think you could probably get away with just dampening and felt over the driver. Those would be the first mods I would do, if I was doing it again.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #9,801 of 11,346
Quote:

I've been trying to source a cheap seller of T20RPmk2s for a while now, I found one on eBay but he has since gone AWOL over the New Year. The Shure840 pads, the cheapest I've found 'in-stock' (juno constantly being out of stock for me) is thomann.de.

I think Juno order the 840 pads on request. They did with my 940 pads anyhow.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #9,802 of 11,346
Quote:
I have an inkling that the clay doesn't matter at all.. and that the acoustic foam and the specifics of it probably doesn't matter much. I think you could probably get away with just dampening and felt over the driver. Those would be the first mods I would do, if I was doing it again.

Re: the acoustic foam, I noticed a rather large difference between using closed cell foam(makeup applicators) vs silverstone acoustic foam, FWIW.  I don't think the type of clay matters too much, and, for that matter, you could probably get away with using anything to fill in that space(and change the volume of air in the housing) and dampen the housing.  Dynamat on the outside + silicone in place of clay would probably work just as well.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #9,804 of 11,346
Could someone please direct me to the correct place to learn about custom cup creation? E.G What type of material to use for the cup, thickness of cup, space inside cup behind driver. I have searched around this thread a bit but have failed to find anything relevant to me.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #9,805 of 11,346
Quote:
Could someone please direct me to the correct place to learn about custom cup creation? E.G What type of material to use for the cup, thickness of cup, space inside cup behind driver. I have searched around this thread a bit but have failed to find anything relevant to me.

Check this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants/975

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #9,806 of 11,346
Does anyone know if the T20RP/T40RP/T50RP are discontinued? I've been told by 3 sellers now that they are and I'm near sweating here, this cannot be the case right? Hopefully I'm not fear mongering.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #9,809 of 11,346
Quote:
Does anyone know if the T20RP/T40RP/T50RP are discontinued? I've been told by 3 sellers now that they are and I'm near sweating here, this cannot be the case right? Hopefully I'm not fear mongering.

Still show as "available" at Amazon, fullcompass, and bhphotovideo.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #9,810 of 11,346
shows discontinued at several other online retailers 
eek.gif

I might have to buy a backup pair...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back