Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #8,821 of 11,345
Quote:

I thought the t50rp's preform poorly with a tube.

It depends on how you mod them.

With the right mod, the T50RP to really shine with any good amp. If you mod them correctly they can essentially sound like nothing so when you tube roll, you really get to hear the tubes for their individual sonic qualities.

I use my T50RP out of two modified amps...one of which is a modified CTH and I can't complain about the sound.

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #8,824 of 11,345
I found the HiFiMAN EF2A to, strictly build-quality wise, be more substantial. The volume knob especially. I do love the aesthetic of both amps, the LD I+ and EF2A. The gain was simply too much for my low impedance headphones. My LD I+ is on the lowest gain setting and that works well with my 598s and other headphones. It works with the T50RP too, but to get loud they have to be turned all the way to 90/100! Both are great amps with the T50RP though, in my experience.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #8,826 of 11,345
Quote:

I thought the t50rp's preform poorly with a tube.

One can't live off of folklore.  Certainly, one does not need to follow each and every quote that has been posted on this board.  If one person doesn't have a favorable experience, then the negativity multiplies.  I tend to work with opposites.  If someone indicates something should or should not be used, that is when I'll try the component myself to see how it performs to me.  Besides, we're talking about the EF-2A and the Little Dot I+ here.  Both amps are hybrid amps with the tubes only presenting the "Pre" stage of the amplification process and they are not 100% tube-based amplifiers.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #8,827 of 11,345
Finally got caught up with the treads last 20 or so pages. Usually can just cruise threw most treads as it mostly opinions. Here though its lots of interesting thoughts and experiments. Bought my first pair a while back not realizing it only had the larger jack. Finally got around to getting a grado adapter.

Thanks to BMF for his endless amounts of help and to wje for posting a link to a cheap price so I could get a second pair to keep stock for referance.

I am a bit worried about having a good ear for changes in sound from different mods. Does anyone have a some good songs to test by. I would rather not listen to my favorites. Because I doubt they would stay that way for very long if I was listening to them over and over. I know hdtracks has a test album. Is that worth a try or is getting something else a better idea?

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #8,828 of 11,345
In my opinion, FLAC files fed through Foobar, through my GrubDAC, into my Millett Hybrid MOSFET Max into my modded t50rp's results in amazing music but.... Just because I like it doesn't mean you will. I read so much in these forums about how "x" product works with "y" product but it all comes down to listener preference. I've been lurking in these threads for a few years now (Bilavideo anyone?) and have messed around with Grados (still love 'em!) and "progressed" to the Fostex's, built the MHM and GrubDAC (thanks to quite a few head-fiers here), but I can't say that my setup is better or worse than yours. The only thing I can say is that at the end of the week, I fire up my gear, put on my tunes of choice and get lost in the awesomeness of it all. Will I find something that impresses me more in the future? More than likely but for now, I'm content. These Fostexes are good. They're fast as hell and IMO respond extremely well to the MHM. I've turned them up to the point where they're practically bouncing off my head (short periods!) and been impressed with the lack of distortion at that level.

Oh yeah, basically what I'm saying is that in my opinion, these cans rock with a tube amp BUT, it's the only tube amp I've listened to them through... 

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #8,829 of 11,345
Ok I am probably just being paranoid here. Does adding all this packing in tje headphones make them more fragile? Obviously not the housing but the stuff in there falling off and rolling inside. Is that a bonus of packing cotton that it holds everything in place.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #8,830 of 11,345
Quote:
Ok I am probably just being paranoid here. Does adding all this packing in tje headphones make them more fragile? Obviously not the housing but the stuff in there falling off and rolling inside. Is that a bonus of packing cotton that it holds everything in place.

No.  Nothing is fragile when one performs the modifications.  The Acoustipack is secured in the cups by an adhesive that's on the back of the foam.  Also, the plasticine is pressed into the cavities on the back of the baffle around where the driver is mounted.  The heavy felt is secured in place by using small, thin pieces of transpore tape to hold the felt to the outer frame of the driver.  Then, one basically just has the cotton - and, it will sit in place where you install it.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8,831 of 11,345
Quote:

<edit: wje beat me to it>

nothing that i'm aware of can fall off or roll around - if you're referring to the plasticine/newplast, compressing it into the baffle spaces & it won't come loose. everything else will be either glued, taped or compressed in position.  one is more likely to break the leads to the driver or strip the screw mounts than have anything come loose.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #8,833 of 11,345
Quote:
My mods explode if the headphone isn't handled carefully. 

you need to find an inert substitute for that nitrocellulose damping compound ...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #8,834 of 11,345

Users who are viewing this thread

Back