Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 12, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #8,567 of 11,346
Jun 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #8,568 of 11,346
Here is the graph of HM5 pads vs 840 pads as requested.
I just noticed I forgot to rename entry #7 in the previous one... that one is the 840 pad stretched around baffle.

Note that when you 'glue' the pads on, the shape you glue it will affect the sound too; a stretched pad will be easier to reach consistent readings from other people.

Here is a much more dumbed down (more smoothing applied) version of that graph; for general modding purposes this may actually just be enough.

I may as well add, for convenience:
Once again, these graphs have no value aside from the relative changes.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #8,570 of 11,346
Quote:
getting very nice results, by the way, driving a stock T50RP with the Centrance DACport - can others chime in on that combo?

I have not tried the Dacport but the Dacmini with 1 ohm output impedance mod sounds great.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #8,572 of 11,346
Quote:
FWIW, I added a Google Document in the WIKI under "BMF V8.1" --->  "BMF V8 - A Simple Mod Variation That Sounds Great."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10WkwNRrnmgcMtpjSQ-viAgQ3bBGbpv5P26iprhm-GAs/edit

Beautiful !  I love the Wiki page where people can go as a central collection point of the various modifications to choose from.  I think my current T50RPs have been through several mods and I figure it might just be best to place another order through B&H to get the Fostex and the Shure pads at the same time.  Sadly, I'll have to pay shipping on the pads.  It's all good, though.

A brief question about MrSpeakers variations of builds.  I believe that last update that was applied for his "flavor" was back towards the end of last year.  Is that currently the build that is in circulation?  Or, am I treading on rough waters and the current release is top secret?  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #8,573 of 11,346
Jun 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #8,574 of 11,346
Quote:

Beautiful !  I love the Wiki page where people can go as a central collection point of the various modifications to choose from.  I think my current T50RPs have been through several mods and I figure it might just be best to place another order through B&H to get the Fostex and the Shure pads at the same time.  Sadly, I'll have to pay shipping on the pads.  It's all good, though.

A brief question about MrSpeakers variations of builds.  I believe that last update that was applied for his "flavor" was back towards the end of last year.  Is that currently the build that is in circulation?  Or, am I treading on rough waters and the current release is top secret?  
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have his Mad dogs modded T50RP but apparently he's even improved that mod.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #8,575 of 11,346
Quote:
I have his Mad dogs modded T50RP but apparently he's even improved that mod.

Yes.  I will be giving updates to my early customers (I've already notified those who can use it).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 13, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #8,576 of 11,346
Quote:

For those wondering about my very flat measurements, it is based upon this mod, though one or two small details are different.  It is a VERY good modification.

After reading through the basic modification again, I've realized how close mine is to the latest document from BMF.  Essentially, the only difference is,

1. - I have craft foam in place instead of the acoustic foam.  I do have acoustic foam and I've used it before, though.
  2. - I have plastix on my baffles and not newplast.  I just received some newplast in the mail last week, though. Yippee!
  3. - I'm using fiberglass insulation instead of cotton balls at the moment.

I'm assuming that the documented use of Rite-Aid cotton was the use of the cotton pads instead of the cotton balls?  From the instruction, it appears to indicated they are pressed against the insides of the cup - which would almost indicate that they are the cotton pads.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #8,577 of 11,346
Rite Aid cotton is in a roll. There are similar brands perhaps not as finely textured. The other sort of equivalent I got came in a big one pound roll ~$7. Its sort of a soft sheet of layered loose stuff. One width of a cup is one single chunk cut down.It's late I'm gonna stop typing unless I get even more confusing.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #8,578 of 11,346
Quote:

After reading through the basic modification again, I've realized how close mine is to the latest document from BMF.  Essentially, the only difference is,

1. - I have craft foam in place instead of the acoustic foam.  I do have acoustic foam and I've used it before, though.
  2. - I have plastix on my baffles and not newplast.  I just received some newplast in the mail last week, though. Yippee!
  3. - I'm using fiberglass insulation instead of cotton balls at the moment.

I'm assuming that the documented use of Rite-Aid cotton was the use of the cotton pads instead of the cotton balls?  From the instruction, it appears to indicated they are pressed against the insides of the cup - which would almost indicate that they are the cotton pads.

Yes, the Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton Pads I use are cut to ~2.5x6x7 cm (uncompressed) and fill the cups from top to bottom and touching all 4 sides of the cups. I've tried pulled cotton balls layered to the same dimensions but I could never match the SQ of the cotton pads. That's not to suggest, however, that you or others cannot match or beat cotton pads with pulled cotton balls, rock wool, fiberglass, other felt, microfiber cloth, etc.

Is the craft foam you use closed cell or open cell?

I don't remember: did I send you some Acoustipack Lite to try?

BTW, I have tried fiberglass in place of cotton and in combination with cotton that, together, measure the same overall dimensions of my cotton pads. The results were similar but I have consistently achieved the best SQ and measurements with cotton pads.  That said, I've had good results from reducing the thickness of the cotton pads by 5 mm and adding a sub-layer of 5 to 10 mm fiberglass to the cotton pads that measured ~ 2x6x7 cm.

FWIW and IME:  Some configurations I've built have required extra "fluff" cotton teased and placed around the outside perimeter of the cotton pads filling all the gaps.

Small changes in cotton thickness and fluff work well for me when tweaking the bass:treble --> more cotton = more treble extension/detail/air and less bass; less cotton = less treble and more bass.

Closing the cup vents completely or, for some of my mod configurations, making a 2x3 mm bass port in one vent slot = better controlled bass to prevent bass bloat. There is still very good quality/quantity sub-bass extension.

Closing the baffle port = more bass.

Sealing wire and jack entry points into the cups = more bass that sounds tighter, to me.

Stiffened craft felt and/or Transpore tape of various sizes on the back of the drivers = tighter bass and more extended treble response.

Shure 840 pads work better for me than stock pads with my configs.

With all these mod components, I find that the key to achieving the best SQ is finding the right combination that produces a euphonic interaction.

As always, YMMV.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #8,579 of 11,346
Quote:

Closing the cup vents completely or, for some of my mod configurations, making a 2x3 mm bass port in one vent slot = better controlled bass to prevent bass bloat. There is still very good quality/quantity sub-bass extension.

Closing the baffle port = more bass.

I'm a bit confused here. The baffle port is that single hole on the baffle right? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back