Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #6,106 of 11,345
LFF, I'm not hitting on you or anything

good your not trying to cause i been down that road. i been rejected hardcore cause i'm not his type.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #6,107 of 11,345

Quote:
I believe you gotta get the newest T20RPmkII though.  And I wouldn't trust they're the same until I saw the specs on the retail package.  Up until people on head-fi started believing they're the same (very recently), T50RP had a much higher rated power handling than the '20 or the '40, lending credence to Smeggy's (and others') claim that even as recently as last year, they were different.

The whole thing is confusing to me, especially with the internet (namely, head-fi and very many online vendors) as my only source of information, but basically I've been wanting someone to clear this up once and for all.  Especially if it means you can score basically the same headphone for like $60 and will tune the ports yourself anyway.

I believe this might be the case.  I did find some pictures of the Fostex T20RP via Google.  They were taken apart and featured the round drivers in them.  However, there's a pair FS in the sale section on this forum for about $100 and the seller claims the round drivers are better than the current square drivers.

For now, I'll focus on the T50RP - so, I don't have to face any hassles with shipping something back that didn't seem right.  However, if the pair appeared again on Craigslist, I'd at least contact the person for more details then opt for them if they were legit.

On another note, my search also pulled up some T40 headphones via Guitar Center that are apparently on "Clearance."  There were 4 pair of them still left in a south Miama G.C. store, so I called them.  They're asking $139.00 a pair for them ... on clearance.  Um, NO!

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #6,108 of 11,345
Mine don't either....

i iz jelly. but of course how can i compare to the master? i still have lots to learn. study,study,study!

just kinda disappointed in myself a bit i did not hear that recession in the midrange area i had when i gotten mine measured.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #6,109 of 11,345

Quote:
LFF, I'm not hitting on you or anything, but has anyone ever told you that you've got a nice graph?

LOL!

Thanks....a few people have mentioned it before.....

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #6,110 of 11,345
^ hehe 
rolleyes.gif
 they sound as nice as that looks!  

-M

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6,111 of 11,345
Quote:
Hey shame on you. You should be proud to have Tim Horton coffee (Just kidding) 
wink_face.gif
. I'm from the same castaway region (Québec) so I feel the pain.
For pad option I'm waiting for the new Hifiman Leather (Pleather??) replacement earpad at $20 + shipping. I currently have the SRH-840 and like them but I was curious on trying these one. I'll report back the differences when they arrived.

Oh but I totally love the Tim Hortons coffee lol! People like to say work coffee is nasty but I quite enjoy it. Though I banned myself from coffee for a while to see if it helps with my insomnia so everytime I pass by one (which is like... very often!) something inside me dies... with that said I don't think I've been there more than single digit times.
And please do report back on the pads! They don't look much thicker than the stock pads tho... hm... too early to judge from just the picture, I'll wait for your response xP

Quote:
Anyone experiencing this? I just listen one through one song with this and I can no longer stand it. it's really bad.

I experienced this when I was really tired. I think it was the volume... in the evening the next day my ears were fine again. Depends on the type of music too; in order to test them out I had to try with songs of different bpm and genre and eventually that made my ears hurt a bit. I can sense the pressure level changing in my ears so that's probably what's causing it.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #6,112 of 11,345
Feb 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #6,113 of 11,345

Quote:
I can't find any reviews comparing modded T50RP's, could someone give me some guidance?
The Rastapants are fairly cheap, and their responses seemed good (http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/4185#post_7845429) although I haven't found any reviews of them. The Thunderpants are regarded pretty highly and look sexy as ****. The Koda^2 look interesting but they seem to be the most expensive. I want to use these for metal.

Some people have owned the modified T50RPs with wooden cups and have felt that the additional cost did not make up for an equal improvement in sound.  I will have a pair of Maple-cupped modified headphones next week to compare to my "treated" T50RPs with the standard plastic cups.  I'll run through various genres of music and utilize my O2 amp, my C&C BH amp as well as my Sansui 881 receiver.

There's a modified pair of Fostex T50RPs on the F.S. section here for about $200, I believe.  However, the wooden bowls have 3 total cracks in them.  Since the wooden bowls are a larger wooden surface area, I'd imagine that keeping them from cracking due to humidity and dryness fluctuations would be a never-ending process.  Just look at how Hifiman has converted their headphones over to plastic rings for the outer cup areas because when they utilized wood, many buyers experienced cracking issues.

But, based on my experience of the T50RPs so far, I'd opt for the $20 - $25 in internal modifications, then work on a new cable - about another $20 using Mogami quad cable and then check into some of the pad replacement options.  Get those in place and call the project "done."  With the money that you will have saved, spend the money on an amp or some more music to enjoy.  To me, the T50RPs in their plastic housings look like "sleepers" and many people won't be keen to what's under the hood ... er, what's inside the cups.  They're not a blingy headphone or a Blows headphone, so theft risk on them would be quite low.

Enjoy!

Edit: I have seen the pictures of the Koda^2 headphones.  I think they've done an outstanding job of incorporating the driver and the side headband pieces into cups that look like multi-layered wood circles.  I suspect the Koda^2 would weather out the changes in humidity much better than a pair of cups cut from a single piece of wood.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #6,114 of 11,345
I believe this might be the case.  I did find some pictures of the Fostex T20RP via Google.  They were taken apart and featured the round drivers in them.  However, there's a pair FS in the sale section on this forum for about $100 and the seller claims the round drivers are better than the current square drivers.

For now, I'll focus on the T50RP - so, I don't have to face any hassles with shipping something back that didn't seem right.  However, if the pair appeared again on Craigslist, I'd at least contact the person for more details then opt for them if they were legit.

On another note, my search also pulled up some T40 headphones via Guitar Center that are apparently on "Clearance."  There were 4 pair of them still left in a south Miama G.C. store, so I called them.  They're asking $139.00 a pair for them ... on clearance.  Um, NO!
Here's where it'll screw with your head though:

Check out Wikiphonia.  http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fostex_Orthodynamic_Line_Overview

There's the round driver T20 in two versions (informally, v1 and v2), and there's the square driver T20RP MkII in at least one flavor, presumably two if there is indeed a refresh of the MkII to include high-power T50RP drivers.  I can get into the empirical/visual differences if anyone's interested.  Knowing what to look for helped me weed out a T20v2 out of eBay's sea of MkII's.  Except for this much-rumored T50-driver version; I wouldn't know if I had one in a MkII, short of reading the specs and seeing the higher power rating, assuming of course that that is indeed the way to tell.

This is the part I haven't gotten much intel on, waiting for some industrious young Head-Fier to find out the facts about this product.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #6,115 of 11,345

Quote:
This is the part I haven't gotten much intel on, waiting for some industrious young Head-Fier to find out the facts about this product.

Sounds like a winner to me.  Heck with the T50 prices rising about as fast as oil prices, we might need to find a good source for the correct T20s to keep the fun moving along at such a low expense.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #6,116 of 11,345
Feb 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #6,117 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Are you guys being sarcastic? Both of your graphs show a very obvious peak around 10KHz relative to the rest of the frequencies around it.

Not being sarcastic at all....

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #6,118 of 11,345
Quote:
Not being sarcastic at all....

LOL, I'm really confused then. You have a really solid looking graph, but there is a small peak around 10KHz. RexAeterna's graph, however, has that valley around 2-5KHz with the slope after that peaks around 10KHz. I've not seen one T50RP graph that doesn't exhibit this, even if it is slight.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #6,119 of 11,345
I'm wondering how audible is 30-40Hz with the graph line extending flat to 20Hz, because my pair starts rolling off quickly after 50Hz. I'm currently using my M50 as a reference for bass extension and I can clearly hear 30-40Hz and I'm curious if the M50 is accurate in that range.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #6,120 of 11,345

Quote:
Here's where it'll screw with your head though:
Check out Wikiphonia.  http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fostex_Orthodynamic_Line_Overview
There's the round driver T20 in two versions (informally, v1 and v2), and there's the square driver T20RP MkII in at least one flavor, presumably two if there is indeed a refresh of the MkII to include high-power T50RP drivers.  I can get into the empirical/visual differences if anyone's interested.  Knowing what to look for helped me weed out a T20v2 out of eBay's sea of MkII's.  Except for this much-rumored T50-driver version; I wouldn't know if I had one in a MkII, short of reading the specs and seeing the higher power rating, assuming of course that that is indeed the way to tell.

Thanks again for the link.  Actually, now that I've had a chance to review the details of the T20 / T20RP, it appears there might be some hope in the following:

the middle style (says "T20" on 'phone, but Fostex calls it a T20RP)-- call it T20v2. Made from '87 to 2006, significantly better sounding than its predecessor, though the driver appears identical, and far better sounding than its successor.

Maybe, others would think otherwise.  However, I did locate a seller of a use pair.  Granted, they won't be the model with the 35mm planar driver, but they still exhibit some potential according to further reading on the Wiki site.  Then again, I'm not sure if I want a 3rd pair of Fostex headphones with the same signature as the two pair of T50RPs that I'll have in my possession.  When I located the TP50RP (or ver. 2), it was being sold for $25.00.  This price along with $7.00 or so in shipping should be about where things end up for me in getting these other Fostex phones to play around with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back