Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Dec 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #5,236 of 11,345
I wonder (for all of us who claim we cannot mod any further to improve on sound -- including myself) how close all our headphones sound.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5,237 of 11,345

Quote:
I wonder (for all of us who claim we cannot mod any further to improve on sound -- including myself) how close all our headphones sound.

Very, very different....

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #5,239 of 11,345
Great work HDman. Very generous of you to document your mod so well and congratulations on your results. I think I might try your mod as I can get all the materials you used even though I am very happy with my current configuration. Did you get your mic cable from Jaycar as well? I have used it to make an amplifier speaker post connector cable for my fostex and it seems like it would be a little too thick for headphone cable.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #5,240 of 11,345
Thanks for the encouragement

Yeh I picked up the cable, connector, heatshrink and Response from Jaycar.

It is thick, but I like it, still has give to it though. From what I have found in my previous experiences with audio speakers, is that the most important improvement in sound from cables, is from the size more than the type of metal used. Silver, when I tried some years ago, to me didn't sound any different when A/B-ing directly.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #5,242 of 11,345

Quote:
@Dogwan - where did you buy the sponge material? I think I remember reading your posts. I've had a cursory look at the supermarket before but didn't really find what I was looking for.

Trader Joes, a specialty supermarket here on the West coast.

I used the "Pop-up sponges" because they are compressed and expand with water. While they are compressed it was easy to slice them into 1-2mm strips, then wet them and they expand into discs 1-2 mm thick. Let them dry for about 2 days before inserting into cups( just when dry but still flexible). The packaging says "natural vegetable cullulose".

I'll be really interested if someone else tries this and reports their results. One disc in each cup totally changed the sound. I tried the cans with just the damping lining the cups and the plasticiness was gone but still had a "hollow"-ish sound that was good, but not quite right. After inserting  the sponge discs right behind the driver I was floored by how good they sound.

My theory is that the random size of the sponge cells has a positive effect in absorbing more than just a range of frequencies. That and being tight up against the driver helps with damping the driver while absorbing the reflections before returning back through the driver. Thus helping to create a sense of openness. I swear I'm not listening to closed cans when I have these on.

BTW, I do have one reflex dot (small rubber door bumper) directly on the center back of each driver. Stuck right on top of the white felt.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #5,243 of 11,345
those strips kinda look like cheese. i wonder if they'll have a unique taste to them?

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #5,244 of 11,345

Quote:
Very, very different....

Whats your basis for conclusion on that statement?

I think that as performance increases it would sort of converge to an ultimate performance factor so our headphones will sound more and more alike as performance increases.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #5,245 of 11,345

Quote:
Whats your basis for conclusion on that statement?

I have tried all the mods that have been posted here and some that haven't. Moreover, I have met with other modders and listened to their headphones with their own mods. I also met with another member and had a listen-off followed by measurements of both our headphones. All them sound very different to me.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #5,246 of 11,345
Dec 3, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #5,248 of 11,345

Quote:
I have tried all the mods that have been posted here and some that haven't. Moreover, I have met with other modders and listened to their headphones with their own mods. I also met with another member and had a listen-off followed by measurements of both our headphones. All them sound very different to me.

True. I think the only time all the modded T50RPs will sound the same is when everyone uses the same setup and everyone aims for a natural sound. If that is the case eventually it will sound close to the same.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #5,249 of 11,345

If I spot something like this, I'll try it for sure. I found a grotty old sponge that had random cells but I don't want that near my ears.
Quote:
Trader Joes, a specialty supermarket here on the West coast.

I used the "Pop-up sponges" because they are compressed and expand with water. While they are compressed it was easy to slice them into 1-2mm strips, then wet them and they expand into discs 1-2 mm thick. Let them dry for about 2 days before inserting into cups( just when dry but still flexible). The packaging says "natural vegetable cullulose".

I'll be really interested if someone else tries this and reports their results. One disc in each cup totally changed the sound. I tried the cans with just the damping lining the cups and the plasticiness was gone but still had a "hollow"-ish sound that was good, but not quite right. After inserting  the sponge discs right behind the driver I was floored by how good they sound.

My theory is that the random size of the sponge cells has a positive effect in absorbing more than just a range of frequencies. That and being tight up against the driver helps with damping the driver while absorbing the reflections before returning back through the driver. Thus helping to create a sense of openness. I swear I'm not listening to closed cans when I have these on.

BTW, I do have one reflex dot (small rubber door bumper) directly on the center back of each driver. Stuck right on top of the white felt.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #5,250 of 11,345

Quote:
If I spot something like this, I'll try it for sure. I found a grotty old sponge that had random cells but I don't want that near my ears.

Yuck! yeah keep that out of your headphones. You might open them up to find'em full of mold one day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back