Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 15, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #3,871 of 11,345
Wow, busy thread :p
I went @&$#%! when I heard them out of the box... After modding, I went @&$%#!!! one more time :D
Will pick up the silver t40 on Monday. Going for an open mod :D
I'm staying with my ultra cheap synthetic pads :cool:

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #3,872 of 11,345
Perhaps someone can help me with this...My T50RPs are currently modded as follows:

1. Silverstone acoustic foam completely covering inside of cups (nice and tidy, keeps as much volume as possible)
2. Modelling clay in the driver baffles, around the edge to make a gasket seal, etc. (brand is Sargent Art)
3. Silverstone acoustic foam on top of the Plasticine around driver
4. 2mm stiffened craft felt in place of white felt on back of driver (not the Creatology or whatever it's called brand)
5. Felt/foam removed from ear side baffle to expose driver (mesh left in place)
6. Stock ear pads. Stuffed fiberloft in back half of ear pads
7. Vent is entirely sealed except a 1-2mm hole in corner of bottom vent, Silverstone acoustic foam covers all but the bottom vent slit on inside of cup, vent felt on inside removed

I'm having a lot of issues with the treble and upper mids. It's just harsh and peaky. Not very smooth to listen to. Still trying to tune the bass. It's very hard to get it balanced between being too boomy/bleeding into mids or too weak. Seems like it's almost impossible to get that right...The upper mids/treble is the main issue, though.

Any suggestions on how to smooth these out? I have the 840 ear pads on the way, if that will help.

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #3,874 of 11,345

Quote:
^I think no one else is still using the stock pads for all modded T50RPs? :wink:

Raises hand embarrassingly. 
redface.gif
I.. I like the stock pads.
tongue.gif

Waiting for more to come.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #3,875 of 11,345

Quote:
Perhaps someone can help me with this...My T50RPs are currently modded as follows:

1. Silverstone acoustic foam completely covering inside of cups (nice and tidy, keeps as much volume as possible)
2. Modelling clay in the driver baffles, around the edge to make a gasket seal, etc. (brand is Sargent Art)
4. 2mm stiffened craft felt in place of white felt on back of driver (not the Creatology or whatever it's called brand)
7. Vent is entirely sealed except a 1-2mm hole in corner of bottom vent, Silverstone acoustic foam covers all but the bottom vent slit on inside of cup, vent felt on inside removed

I'm having a lot of issues with the treble and upper mids. It's just harsh and peaky. Not very smooth to listen to. Still trying to tune the bass. It's very hard to get it balanced between being too boomy/bleeding into mids or too weak. Seems like it's almost impossible to get that right...The upper mids/treble is the main issue, though.

Any suggestions on how to smooth these out? I have the 840 ear pads on the way, if that will help.

Upper mid bass tinny harsh fix, worked for me.

Naked drivers both sides.
Fill cups with cotton wool.
Bass ports only one left open (stripes).
Raise the rear of the pads as much as possible, stock or 840 pads both work.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #3,877 of 11,345

Quote:

Can we get a picture of the felt you're using?
regular_smile%20.gif
Or a link! (if a good picture is available) It might be thicker than what we're using and not letting the drivers breathe.

Are you using this felt? Or something thicker? If it's thicker and harder, it may be the culprit.

It is not a bass heavy can with stock pads. Perhaps wait for your 840's to fix this.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #3,879 of 11,345

Quote:
So with RP2 configuration using stock pad you still prefer RP2 to LCD2 
blink.gif

Yeeep. Well, it's close. I do think it could improve with just a little bit more distance though. Mainly it's the seal, how much bass you want, and how perfectly balanced you want it to be. That is what the pads entail. I think it's great now. Maybe I'll agree with mrspeakers when I hear it in O2 pads. Maybe I won't. Likely will though. It's something incredible already. I know LFF likes it with the 00-3 pads.

In the end it will sound amazing no matter what pads you use, pads are just fine tuning from there..

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #3,880 of 11,345

Quote:
Yeeep. Well, it's close. I do think it could improve with just a little bit more distance though. Mainly it's the seal, how much bass you want, and how perfectly balanced you want it to be. That is what the pads entail. I think it's great now. Maybe I'll agree with mrspeakers when I hear it in O2 pads. Maybe I won't. Likely will though. It's something incredible already. I know LFF likes it with the 00-3 pads.

In the end it will sound amazing no matter what pads you use, pads are just fine tuning from there..

False.

I LOVE them with the 003 pads. Also, keep in mind, my mod is completely different than the RP2's.

Quote:

False.

The pads you use have a huge impact on the sound quality. It is important that you get a good seal and some pads are better than others in that regard.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #3,881 of 11,345

Quote:

False.

The pads you use have a huge impact on the sound quality. It is important that you get a good seal and some pads are better than others in that regard.

Perhaps I underestimated it. Personally, I love how they sound now, but am interested in upgrades. This is true. But the sound of the headphone (it's signature) largely remains the same, but the pads DO make a substantial difference.

Think about it like Grado. (To whomever's interested).

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #3,882 of 11,345
So when are you guys going to start cutting wedges and pyramids into the foam?

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #3,884 of 11,345
I wanna ask two things: someone answered my previous question about amping, but I feel that person meant was that these headphones are easy driven and I was asking more about if they are power hungry. Do they need lots of power to make it shine or better focus on quality amp?

Also I wanna ask about cups. Do wooden cups change the sound or is only for aestethics? 

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #3,885 of 11,345

Quote:
I wanna ask two things: someone answered my previous question about amping, but I feel that person meant was that these headphones are easy driven and I was asking more about if they are power hungry. Do they need lots of power to make it shine or better focus on quality amp?

Also I wanna ask about cups. Do wooden cups change the sound or is only for aestethics? 

They play fine out of my Sansa Clip+ but they definitely improve by leaps and bounds with an amp. They like quality amps.

As for wooden cups, it depends. If the wooden cups are properly implemented and damped, then the sound will improve. If they are not done correctly or properly damped, then the sound might actually get worse.

Modding headphones is a combination of art, science and luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back