Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #3,856 of 11,345

Quote:

Pretty much. You have-have-have to mod these. They sound like 74$, out of the box. But man is that driver is capable. It's actually one of the most stylish pairs of cans too to boot! Great things can come out of that driver.

Yes ... but keep in mind, I've been listening to orthos since cetoole sent me a modded Yamaha YH-3 and a Fostex T20v2 several years ago.  The YH-3 was as good as anything I've ever heard above mid-bass (even now).  I sold my TR-50RP's to Smeggy, but not for myself - he needed them for his business.  I made a couple of attempts at non-permanent mods, but was not very successful at getting the sound I heard from Colin.  So, I kept removing whatever mod I made and kept them in pristine shape before I sold them.  I decided that in the future, my DIY activities are just going to stick with amps and DACs, instead.

Just an FYI, but the HE-5LE I heard at last year's CanJam is about as good as I've heard from ortho's, IMHO (better than the LCD-2).  I still like Grados as a mainstream manufactured headphone, though.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #3,857 of 11,345
Ok. I've been reading this thread for the pass week now and I'm giving up. Where can I fine these Fostex in Canada?  I just checked Moog Audio and they carry them for $98 but not sure if they have them in stock. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #3,858 of 11,345

Quote:
Ok. I've been reading this thread for the pass week now and I'm giving up. Where can I fine these Fostex in Canada?  I just checked Moog Audio and they carry them for $98 but not sure if they have them in stock. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Cheers!

There's an ad for Amazon just to the right of these posts on Head-Fi right now.
wink.gif
  I'm sure they ship to Canada.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #3,859 of 11,345

Quote:
Cheers!

Long & McQuade carries them.  If you have a local store near you, you can ask them to order it into the store for you to pick up, that way the shipping is free.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #3,861 of 11,345

Quote:

Long & McQuade carries them.  If you have a local store near you, you can ask them to order it into the store for you to pick up, that way the shipping is free.

Just checked and they dn't carry tem online but found some in the Moncton store. I'll check with tem tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip Dabomb!

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #3,862 of 11,345
I'm attempting the RP2 mod but it takes a lot of time to complete them. I'm not even halfway done and about to call it a night. I put the dynamat in the cups, acoustic foam in the cups over the dynamat and foam over the modeling clay around the driver. I need to put foam around the ear side of the baffle which won't take too long and then I'll be done with one side and then will do the other side tomorrow. I also have electrical tape over the bass vents.

I'm not done but I do notice that the side I did the RP2 mod is lower in volume but hard to compare now so will do the rest tomorrow..I'm tired :p

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3,863 of 11,345

Quote:
I'm attempting the RP2 mod but it takes a lot of time to complete them. I'm not even halfway done and about to call it a night. I put the dynamat in the cups, acoustic foam in the cups over the dynamat and foam over the modeling clay around the driver. I need to put foam around the ear side of the baffle which won't take too long and then I'll be done with one side and then will do the other side tomorrow. I also have electrical tape over the bass vents.

I'm not done but I do notice that the side I did the RP2 mod is lower in volume but hard to compare now so will do the rest tomorrow..I'm tired :p

You have O2 pads so you can do this! I am mildly jealous.. Need O2 pads... Need O2 pads..

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #3,864 of 11,345
It's just time consuming since I want everything to look clean inside as well which I think it came out better this time. I finished the left side completely with the RP2 mods. I was gonna try something slightly different but by the time I realized I was already screwing the left cups back in so maybe another time but I should test out the RP2 first. I'll have it done tomorrow morning/afternoon and then can have some comments about how it sounds.

Also the reason it took so long was because I had to take off the foam to put dynamat inside the cups and that was a bit of a pain since the sticky part remained a bit while the foam just ripped off easily. I'm not taking it off again :p

Hennyo, I did get the O2 pads a bit cheaper since it is brown and from a head-fi member so a slight discount. It still is the most expensive pads I've bought and more expensive than the T50RP :p

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #3,866 of 11,345

Quote:
What are the dimensions of the O2 pads?

Quote:
O2 pads measures once mounted:

- 10cm outer diameter
- 1cm high in the thin part
- 2cm high in the fat part.

I don't think that you can copy the effect that they make using other earpads. The EP-007 are made of real leather, some kind of memory foam and the fabric is sustained by a hard ring material that fits inside the earpads. Also, the inner hole of the earpads isn't round, it has a straight side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back