Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 11, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #3,676 of 11,346

Quote:

Closed-cell foam did not work for me.

Yes, the cups definitely need an open cell acoustic foam like Paxmate or Silverstone to absorb/eliminate sound reflections. The e-Dead materials are to reduce resonance by adding mass. I don't think the closed cell neoprene would be all that useful but thought it was an interesting material. I'm sure it's too thick and light to be much use for reducing resonance but who knows.

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #3,677 of 11,346

Quote:
Nice find.  The three layer stuff is probably all too thick.  Couldn't quickly find how thin the 2 layer goes...  If it gets too thick I'd worry about overdamping and killing the bass.

AcoustiPack LITE 2-Layer is 4mm: http://www.quietpcusa.com/AcoustiPack-LITE-PC-Soundproofing-Kit-P436C4.aspx

Could be a good alternative! It has the sound absorbing foam on top of a dense flexible damping layer so it might provide a similar function to Paxmate on top of Dynamat/FatMat in one product. The 3 layer 7mm product however has the dense acoustic barrier sandwiched between foam layers so I don't think that would work as well for reducing cup resonance.

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #3,678 of 11,346
This stuff looks like the right stuff.  Ordered.

Thanks for the link.

Quote:

AcoustiPack LITE 2-Layer is 4mm: http://www.quietpcusa.com/AcoustiPack-LITE-PC-Soundproofing-Kit-P436C4.aspx

Could be a good alternative! It has the sound absorbing foam on top of a dense flexible damping layer so it might provide a similar function to Paxmate on top of Dynamat/FatMat in one product. The 3 layer 7mm product however has the dense acoustic barrier sandwiched between foam layers so I don't think that would work as well for reducing cup resonance.

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #3,679 of 11,346
Looks great. I used a three layer product in speakers for Platinum Audio around 2000. Very similar...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #3,680 of 11,346
Finally my black O2 pads have arrived (fortunately without any custom taxes). The improvement in the sound is spectacular and the comfort superb, as well as the look. Best USD150 spent EVER, couldn't be happier. 

I have finished these in a 99%. The only thing left is a minor tweak of the highs, because the O2 pads bring out the treble a lot. If Fostex sold the T50RP with these pads and mods in carbon fiber cups I would likely pay USD1000 for them without thinking about it.

Maybe in the future I will modify another pair à la thunderpants and keep this as a special item in my collection.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #3,682 of 11,346
don't give them any ideas!! $100 was about my budget when I got these (of course now I've spent 3 times that including 5k pads, dac and amp) 
confused_face.gif

Quote:
Finally my black O2 pads have arrived (fortunately without any custom taxes). The improvement in the sound is spectacular and the comfort superb, as well as the look. Best USD150 spent EVER, couldn't be happier. 

I have finished these in a 99%. The only thing left is a minor tweak of the highs, because the O2 pads bring out the treble a lot. If Fostex sold the T50RP with these pads and mods in carbon fiber cups I would likely pay USD1000 for them without thinking about it.

Maybe in the future I will modify another pair à la thunderpants and keep this as a special item in my collection.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #3,683 of 11,346
imagine spending 10x the cost of the T50RP for an amp :p

My O2 pads are set to be delivered today so hopefully there is someone hope to pick it up for me or I will have to wait until saturday..

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #3,684 of 11,346

Quote:
imagine spending 10x the cost of the T50RP for an amp :p

My O2 pads are set to be delivered today so hopefully there is someone hope to pick it up for me or I will have to wait until saturday..

I don't care much about audiophile amps, as long as I have my pro audio equipment that drives them with ease :p

Why do you have to wait until saturday?

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #3,685 of 11,346
interested in getting these to mod, see how good mods like the thunderpants actually are. also, are the wooden cups necessary for the mod? i'd like to save some cash and i prefer their stock look

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #3,686 of 11,346

Quote:
I don't care much about audiophile amps, as long as I have my pro audio equipment that drives them with ease :p

Why do you have to wait until saturday?

They deliver when I'm at work so can only pick them up on Saturdays since I don't work then.

Quote:
interested in getting these to mod, see how good mods like the thunderpants actually are. also, are the wooden cups necessary for the mod? i'd like to save some cash and i prefer their stock look

Most of the mods people have been doing outside of smeggy and I believe a few others have been with the stock cups.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #3,687 of 11,346

Originally Posted by AnotherN00b /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could be a good alternative! It has the sound absorbing foam on top of a dense flexible damping layer so it might provide a similar function to Paxmate on top of Dynamat/FatMat in one product.

Oooh! And maybe you can easily peel off the acoustic barrier(that looks very thin) and tape it on top of tungsten putty on the baffles, hah!
turbocatcat.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3,689 of 11,346
Congrats rythmdevils. I was wondering when more of you guys from the Ortho thread were going to show up, there really aren't that many of you here. I guess these aren't old enough for most of the guys there to take an interest in. It will be interesting to have the perspective of a long time Ortho tweaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back