Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Aug 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #2,131 of 11,345
Okay, I figured it out, turns out the honky mids were a combination of the stock pads and a bad fit, which bending the rods on the headband fixed. I was worried because srh840 pads only made things worse with my setup, (edit: nevermind, it was just the fit) but rx700 pads fit perfectly and really make these sound nice, probably because they're completely circumaural and get your ears right against the driver.

Right now, WOW. These kept me up half the night because I had to keep listening to one more track. The mids are still a little uneven, but these sound really, really good.

Quote:
Would cup resonances be causing high frequency sibilance? Listening to rock music with electric guitars or Neil Young (his voice during higher notes) I definitely have some sibilance or what I could also describe as high frequency breakup occuring. This is with fully plastacined cups (rear and front baffles), the opened driver with felt over the back, felt in front of the driver, and closed vents (although fully opening them made no difference, it only killed off some bass).

Has anyone else experienced this? I am very happy with where these are otherwise. Bass extension is now good and the highs would be fine if not for the sibilance.

Think you need some paxmate. I have a similar setup except I glued felt over the stock membrane, and have them a little open, but there's no sibilance at all.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #2,132 of 11,345
+1 The plasticine adds mass which reduces resonance but you also need something in the back of the cup (e.g. paxmate or other thin acoustical foam) to reduce reflections. Some paxmate in the earcups also helps

Quote:
Think you need some paxmate. I have a similar setup except I glued felt over the stock membrane, and have them a little open, but there's no sibilance at all.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #2,133 of 11,345

Quote:
I have the Grado 325i, and through my set up of Imod and Stepdance the modded  Fostex are in a different league to the Grados in every aspect except the high treble, its a none contest when it comes to detail, mids and low end bass.  

how exactly is yours set up? and what is a stepdance?

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2,135 of 11,345
Eagerly anticipating new measurements and review on these.  What oh what will they be...  (rubs hands together)

The truly fascinating part will be seeing next week the real differences between the stock and the modded ones that Tylls been going through.  How big a factor is the enclosure in headphone sound?

We will soon find out, my friends.  Oh boy!

To my ears, though, they've got a massive drop-off beyond 13khz, maybe a bump in the upper bass/lower mids and maybe a bump in the 1-3khz range.  Not any worse extension than a V6, but definitely not hyped in the right spots to fool you otherwise.  Maybe hyped in exactly the wrong spots to fool anyone.

And VERY amp dependent.  Amazed at how much volume they need on portables.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,137 of 11,345
Who is the guy who was actually running a competition of T50 mods?  He is a reviewer and had was doing listening and measurement.  I'd like to send a pair of rastapants to him...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2,138 of 11,345
Aug 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,139 of 11,345

Quote:
Who is the guy who was actually running a competition of T50 mods?  He is a reviewer and had was doing listening and measurement.  I'd like to send a pair of rastapants to him...

Quote:

Thanks Mav. Tylls video was pretty entertaining. I had to laugh when hr referred to the sound of that that one pair of Thunderpants as abominable. He seemed to like the sound of that other pair though. Anyway have any the data sheets come back on these. I'm assuming this discussion is in the Ortho thread...and yeah speakers let's get some data on the Rastapants. Is Leepery sending his in?

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2,140 of 11,345
The pdfs with the measurements you're after are at the bottom of this page.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2,141 of 11,345
[size=10pt]Someone link him to Tyll's PM thing. I don't know how to do that. I'd give you his physical address, but I don't know if that's kosher and you'll probably want to talk to him first to find out how this modded ortho marathon thing he's doing works. Any of you folks with T50rp that are modified/damped but still use the same stock earcups, you seem to be in short supply in his reviews. I'd be interested to see how much improvement can actually be done (and empirically validated) using the stock earcups. That would be a useful juxtaposition to the custom earcup ones.[/size]

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2,142 of 11,345

Also easily out performs Denon AH-D5000, (now sold),  easily out performs Senn 650 (retained) also, Faust mod, using a monster cable with imod and the fantastic Meier Stepdance amp.
Probably the best portable amp on the planet.

Quote:
ah, alright.. I'm kind of shocked to think that he has a fostex out doing his 325i's.. Very curious how he has his fostex's set up now.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #2,144 of 11,345
What are good pads to buy for T50? As I get Shure 840 pads do not make the sound better in any way.

840 pads donchangenthe sound and are very comfy. But you have to tune the bass when you change pads (pretty much for any pad).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2,145 of 11,345
Howdy gang, it's been a while. 

I've been listening to the T50RP for the past week or so, and they sound pretty good with the amp I'm borrowing (I'm personally holding out for the O2, so I don't have an amp atm). There are some blatant issues though. For better or worse, I've damped the interior with dynamat that has the foil pulled off, and have cut the felt from the front to give it some much needed clarity. 

First off, they sound muffled as hell.  The frequency response is similar to the HD650, but the HD650 sounded much clearer. This might be because they're overdamped or just because they're closed. Any ideas on what to do from here? I don't have any felt and have no way of getting any. Would a cut up sock work?
Second, the cable jack is the worst I've ever experienced on a headphone. The right side cuts out and only excessive wiggling fixes the problem, only to have the right side slowly get quieter and cut out again. What the hell, fostex? I guess I have to recable these now.
Third, these pads suck. They're not deep enough and they can't stay on without tape. Even with tape, they still come off. I've given up on them, and they no longer give a seal and are resting on top of the driver(not taped down, just held on by force against my ear). I only remember the stax pad as an alternative, and I think it is beyond ridiculous to spend that on these headphones.
Fourth, this headband sucks too. It's not as bad as the grados, though.

Now, some questions. 

I've put my fingers over the back vent, and I didn't notice the frequency response changing, however it isolated better. There's no issues in filling this hole, correct? 

Is paxmate supposed to be an alternative to the felt? Does anyone in the greater Dallas area have some they wouldn't mind letting me have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back