Just heard the Alessandro MS-1....
Aug 12, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #16 of 23
I think it's enlightening that what we all are hearing, might be valid for each of us.  The "ears" have it.  :)

I definitely think the SR125i's are less harsh than the SR80i's (that's why I'll eventually get the SR225i's to see if they are even less harsh than the 125's.). 

Odd, the 225i is both smoother and better than the MS1i to my ears by a good margin.

Bingo.  :)

And I didn't find any difference at all in the mids and highs between the SR80i and the MS-1i.  Just less bass for the MS-1i.  So I'd judge them as the SR125i 1st, then the SR80i next, then the MS-1i last.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
Are you guys serious? The MS2i is MILES above the MS1, both amped and unamped, in almost every regard. 

The only reason I got the MS1 is because I can't stand the discomfort of the heavy MS2i pressing against my glasses.

Yes, technically better in every way, and a motorised cheese grater to my ears. Wanted to love them, but I couldn't even like them, they were too aggressive for me. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 23
It's really a matter of preference. I personally prefer the sound of the MS1i to the MS2i, and I know quite a few other people who do so as well. The MS2i isn't a direct upgrade in every way from the MS1i to my ears. The MS Pro is closer to a direct upgrade over the MS1i, but the MS2i has a much more aggressive treble that is not necessarily better than the MS1i's smoother range.

Quote:
Are you guys serious? The MS2i is MILES above the MS1, both amped and unamped, in almost every regard. 

The only reason I got the MS1 is because I can't stand the discomfort of the heavy MS2i pressing against my glasses.

Quote:
I concur.  In addition, the difference between the MSPro and the MS2 is almost as great as that between the MS1s and MS2s.  It is also important to note that the higher the 'phone is up the line, the more it improves with amping.  Comfort-wise, all wood Gradossandros are more comfortable than the metal and plastic ones.

As it was previously mentioned, pad-rolling does significantly impact the sound.  The jumbo (bagel) pads make the soundstage and comfort of the headphones increase to wonderful levels, at the cost of some of the Grado "bite", pulled back mids, and more pronounced highs.  These pads obviously compliment Grados like the HF2's because it balances out the sound signature, whereas I found the tinnier/thinner Prestige line didn't respond well to the changes.

I have a friend who didn't like how the bagels sounded on his HF2, so he sold his bagels to me. He found the treble too diffused on these pads with the HF2.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
It's really a matter of preference. I personally prefer the sound of the MS1i to the MS2i, and I know quite a few other people who do so as well. The MS2i isn't a direct upgrade in every way from the MS1i to my ears. The MS Pro is closer to a direct upgrade over the MS1i, but the MS2i has a much more aggressive treble that is not necessarily better than the MS1i's smoother range.

I have a friend who didn't like how the bagels sounded on his HF2, so he sold his bagels to me. He found the treble too diffused on these pads with the HF2.

Honestly, this where psychoacoustics and personal preferences come into play.  To each his own/your mileage may very/different strokes for different folks/horses for courses.  If you feel that the MS1is are better than MS2is then all I can say is, "Power to you!".  In fact you're $200 better off than I am!

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #20 of 23

Quote:

MS2i need decent amp and also the synergy factor is important here, not like the MS1i which is not picky to amping.

If you can offer the decent amp, then you'll see if MS2i is really above MS1i in all aspect (except the comfort), the treble in MS2i is nice, and not really hot if you amp it. 
smile.gif

note: I love the MS1i and I was the MS2i hater, but now after I try MS2i with decent amp, now I realize that I love MS2i. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #21 of 23
Hm... still gonna have to disagree with you on this one... I use my MS2i unamped and they're fine.

For me, the highs of the MS2i are actually perfect. I originally came from a SR225i, which had ridiculous highs. The MS2i offered a fuller, refined sound over the SR225i (although sometimes I do miss the SR225i).

Sometimes I wonder if my MS2i is the same as you guys'....

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #22 of 23
It might be an amping issue, when I did my Grado comparison I wasn't using my MP5, Marantz or LD MkIII. Was just using some portable amp (I think either a P4i or GoVibe Petite, I forget). I actually haven't done the comparison on either the MkIII or the MP5. From my experience the MP5 really smooths out the highs of any headphone I plug into them. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #23 of 23

Quote:

I also prefer the MS1i to the MS2i. And sometimes I prefer it to the MS Pro. MS Pro is basically an MS1i with much, much more refined sound and clarity across the board, with shimmering highs, but sounds a little thin at times. Sometimes I prefer the extra heat and punch of the MS1i. 

Hi Mochan, how does MS1i compared to MSpro in regard of treble quantity? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back