Just got my Sansa Clip! Questions
Jul 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

JosephKim

1000+ Head-Fier
I finally received my sansa clip and now I have some questions. If I rockbox my clip, will that actually improve the sound quality? Im not concerned about interface and such; Im actually content with the factory look. But if rockbox improves sound quality, thats something Id definitely do. It is still listed as unstable for the clip. Any thoughts?

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 29
It's more than stable so don't worry about that. The only "improvements" to  SQ that Rockbox offers is gapless playback and a better customizable EQ.
Personally I think you'd be silly to turn Rockbox down, better battery life, easier navigation... the list goes on.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 29

Quote:
It's more than stable so don't worry about that. The only "improvements" to  SQ that Rockbox offers is gapless playback and a better customizable EQ.
Personally I think you'd be silly to turn Rockbox down, better battery life, easier navigation... the list goes on.

i just ordered a refurbed orginal clip too. i plan to use it mostly with my grado sr80s and maybe a cmoy amp if i can be bothered hooking it up. under these conditions, should i install rockbox?

is the battery life actually better with rockbox? doesn't it normall reduce battery life?

by the way i have no idea what firmware version it will be when it arrives.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 29
I thought rockbox reduced battery life as well...? 

Still deciding if I should or not too.  I swore I read on here that some members have had it brick, but return a few days later...?

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
I thought rockbox reduced battery life as well...? 

Still deciding if I should or not too.  I swore I read on here that some members have had it brick, but return a few days later...?

I just rockboxed my clip+.
 One word "Amazing".
The flexibility of EQ is night & day.
I consider the EQ on the Sansa is unusable, but rockbox it and its a different story.
I think the current build is stable. No issues here - yet
dt880smile.png

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 29
the one i have ordered is actually 8gb, the original, not clip+, which leads me to think that it's v2 firmware. is there any way to get rockbox working on these models?

edit: looks like it works for the most part. what else do i need to know?

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 29
rockbox is available for clip v1 & v2.
checkout the rockbox site.
theres a rockbox installer.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 29
i know this isn't a rockbox thread, but i have one more question i haven't found a clear answer for:

if i install rockbox on a clip v2 using the automatic installer, will dual boot be enabled by default?

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 29
yes.
to boot the Sansa OF hold the left direction key and press the power button.
Also if you connect to usb on your computer the OF will boot when you disconnect.
The OF is used when transferring files through usb.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 29
good news.

i'll be using the clip with my grado sr80s.

would it be worth coupling it up with an E5 (or other super cheap amp)?
or is the clip loud enough by itself to drive these cans well?
with rockbox, would i need the amp?

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
good news.

i'll be using the clip with my grado sr80s.

would it be worth coupling it up with an E5 (or other super cheap amp)?
or is the clip loud enough by itself to drive these cans well?
with rockbox, would i need the amp?

I dont think you need to bother with an E5.
The Grados are only 32 ohm and you certainly want need the E5 for bass boost when using Rockbox.

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 29
sorry to bump but my clip arrived last night and i wanted to share some experiences.

firstly, this is an 8gb refurbed original clip running v2. before i had even plugged in my headphones, i attempted a rockbox install using the automatic utility.

in short, it worked 100% perfectly! i had to manually download the sansa bootloader but rockbox installed properly, themes and fonts are working fine.

here's my question: in rockbox, i tried to delete the three mp3s that came loaded on the clip. can't remember exactly how i did it. now, they are gone from the rockbox database and file lists, but they still show up in the original firmware. when i try to play them, my poor little clip freezes (obviously). how do i get rid of them from the original clip firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back