Just got m50's - Fake? (white/light teal'ish box) lots of pictures
May 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TheExile

100+ Head-Fier
Edit 3: Pictures

Just got them. They sound amazing. Blows away my Altec Lansing earbuds I had for the passed 3 years. I just want to double check, they're not fake right? I was looking at some threads of people comparing authentic to fake m50's. Not sure about the headband stitching. It doesn't seem like a bad sewing job. The overall headphone construction is awesome. Brand new from what I can tell. Cable was packed in a plastic bag. Everything included.

Just an overview, I got these off ebay from seller - audioplayroom. Same people as ScitScat, Inc located in florida. ScitScat also has an ebay account. ScitScat is registered as an authorized dealer on Audio Technica's dealer list. Listed for $109 + 12 ship. Ebay gave me a random 10% electronics discount. Not a bad deal.

I tried calling Audio Technica but they're closed. So I'll have to call tomorrow and ask. But from what it seems, I think they're legit... ? what do you think?

Sorry, Kodak 6mp sucks.

Edit 2:
Just bought the m50's for $112 shipped. $98 with a 10% discount from ebay + $13 shipping.

My first headphone purchase. I am highly anticipating this
biggrin.gif

Edit:
Instead of making a new thread going to add on to my original.

So I think Sennhesier is out for me. "A lot" of researching and reading around, the general consensus is that; the sound is pretty neutral and the bass is enough but is viewed as no/lacking bass for a basshead like myself. Same thing with the SRH4/840 which I was putting as a possible candidate.

I hate to jump onto the bandwagon like a lot of others here, but seems like the m50 might be it for me... From a lot of reviews/comments from experience, the m50 definitely packs a lot more punch than the a/ad700's. The A700's was also a very viable candidate however I just can't dish out that extra $50. Plus it's opened, I'm strictly looking for a closed back with very minimal sound leakage.

I DID however just came upon some $109 M50's on ebay. Listed as new with 8 pairs available and a whole bunch sold already. I just messaged the seller asking if the item is actually NEW/NIB, not open box or a displayed item.

The response I immediately got was,

"[size=10pt]Hi,
Yes, just like the Listing Says Brand New Audio Technica ATH-M50 we received 100 yesterday and now only have 40 left.

Please pay soon, we are stopping shipping real soon.

Thanks,
Audio Play Room"
[/size]

[size=10pt]Sounds legit? I know it's a longshot, but has anyone heard of this seller?[/size]

[size=10pt]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160589206843&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123[/size]

Original Post:

Hello, I know first post. I just Had to join and ask because I'm at a standstill. Been heavily searching around here and all over for a new headphone. This will be my first full size headphone purchase as I have never owned a pair before. I'm looking for the $50-60 range. From all the searching around I can see how expensive these headphones can be.

I'm particularly looking for a closed style.

The pick is..

Sennheiser 428 and 438.

My genre of music is pretty much all over, however I am a bass fanatic. Listen to a lot of rap, ranging from house/"techno", to metal core like ABR, to Muse, back to some instrumental type, here and there. Bass is important however I DO want the mid and highs to be clear that it's there and not droned out.

I know the sony mdr 500/700 is known for a serious bump. Although I love bass, I don't want to go deaf here.

Taking into consideration I do however, heavily play BFBC2. So not only will this be an everyday music, plug into tv and heavy gaming headset; it has to be a well rounded one too.

The 438 I really did not like it when I first came across it on amazon. The silver hubcap.. (shakes head) But, the thing that makes me want to buy the 438 over the 428 is the shorter cable. However, I came upon searching that best buy sells a 428S shorter cable version. Which is much more than the 438 on amazon.

Get the 428 and suffer from that ridiculous 10ft cable which I have absolutely no use for?

Get the 438 disregard the bling for the interchangeable cables?

I keep on getting mixed reviews from searching around that the 428 hits harder or doesn't and the 438 hits harder after burn in. So which one is it?

Ahhh the contemplation! I want to get the 280 but that's way out of my price range. Although a mere $20+ difference, a broke - just graduated college man can't dish out that extra =\

Help! >.< Thanks :D

May 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
Taking into consideration I do however, heavily play BFBC2. So not only will this be an everyday music, plug into tv and heavy gaming headset; it has to be a well rounded one too.

Ahhh the contemplation! I want to get the 280 but that's way out of my price range. Although a mere $20+ difference, a broke - just graduated college man can't dish out that extra =\

Ah, it's good to see BC2 players here on Head-Fi. I bet I play it more than you!
tongue_smile.gif

To tell you the truth, I would just save up a bit more. You won't regret doing so, as you'll probably end up buying better headphones in the future anyway. And not to mention, it's relatively difficult to find a headphone that does well for competitive gaming, and is a good all-arounder for music. You almost have to choose priorities right then and there. But if you can stretch a bit more, you can land a pair of AD700. For me, they are fantastic for a lot of music, and are phenomenal for gaming.

May 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah as much as this may or may not be an option, I would recommend saving up a bit.  Once you hit the $100-120 mark or %150 you can get some pretty damn good stuff.  And for competitive gaming I can highly suggest the HD 595 or 598, MASSIVE soundstage (meaning directional sound is second to none that I've found on these).  Well worth the investment, plus their fantastic for music.  Bass is not the best, but IMHO its enough (unless your a hardcore basshead, then its probably not enough).  Their no XB700 :D

For the record, you can grab HD 595's for about $80-90 if you don't mind used.  Or $120 new from amazon.

May 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 16
hahah playing more than me? Possible
tongue.gif

How did I know you were going to recommend ad700. Seems like a very popular throw up for the $100 range mix. Since those are open ear, isn't there a lot of sound leakage?

edit*

Emperor: I was also looking into the 595 as well, until I realized the price on those suckers haha, Man.. That is true though, seems like all the decent sets are within the mid 100's. Not saying the 400 isn't decent, just getting a lot more? Assuming so.

May 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 16
Just bought the m50's

Originally researching from, Plantronics Gamecom 377 to Razer Orca. Then to Sennheiser 515, 428, 438, 448, 555 and 558. AD700 and A700. Koss DJ100. SRH 4/840's.

Want a closed can with limited sound leakage. Pretty good sound stage for gaming (bfbc2). The bass is a must. A good first all around headphone, I guess the m50. Hate to jump onto the bandwagon, but that's how it ended up to be haha.

May 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 16
I love BFBC2, I'd be willing to take that bet! 
wink.gif

Anyway, congrats Exile on the m50 purchase, sounds like you got a deal.

Quote:
Ah, it's good to see BC2 players here on Head-Fi. I bet I play it more than you!
tongue_smile.gif

To tell you the truth, I would just save up a bit more. You won't regret doing so, as you'll probably end up buying better headphones in the future anyway. And not to mention, it's relatively difficult to find a headphone that does well for competitive gaming, and is a good all-arounder for music. You almost have to choose priorities right then and there. But if you can stretch a bit more, you can land a pair of AD700. For me, they are fantastic for a lot of music, and are phenomenal for gaming.

May 19, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 16
Woot!

Although.... I am suddenly hit with the fear of something. Upon roaming around reading, I fell on all these threads on fake m50's on ebay.
eek.gif

Even though the seller I got it from has good feedback, 1000 something feedback count, did not find his name under the Audio Technica authorized dealers. The ebay listing does say sales tax in Florida. So the seller is in the US. Going through his feedback finding other buying feedback on m50 purchases, all are positive seems like the buyers are happy about them.

Hmm.. not sure now about these...

Edit:

I could be wrong. Upon further research of this ebay seller - Audioplayroom; I got the tracking number from them this morning and a UPS Quantum tracker email exposing their real name. It says,

Message from from Scitscat, Inc,
New Audio Technica m50 ... blah blah blah, tracking number... other information

I looked around and Scitscat, Inc is in Florida. They are also listed on Audio Technica's registered dealer. They also have a main website for their store.

I also went through their (Audioplayroom) feedback and messaged everyone in the past couple months who purchased the m50 from them; so far got one response saying, that it is a legitimate pair of Audio Technica's.

I also messaged Audioplayroom for the hundredth time, asking if it is really a legitimate pair of m50's and not a chinese clone; and that I also did not see them on Audio Technica's list of authorized dealers. Got a response back saying that it is an authorized pair of m50's. I know it would be a long shot to be straight forward asking if it is a clone or not, but doesn't hurt. As goofy as it sounds to do that because, we all know someone who would be selling a clone would lie about it anyways.

Edit 2:

Just messaged Scitscat, inc from their website and said that I am safe on the purchase.

Excellent. Can't wait
tongue_smile.gif

May 24, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 16
They are real!!!  Great quality by the looks of it and same box I had.  The older boxes were bluer =P
'

BUT to make sure, post a picture of both logos on the cups!!!  

May 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 16
Well, that's really something you can see for yourself.  The ATH Logo should both be the same and not inverted when you look at them.  So check, if they are both the same regardless of left/right side, it's pretty much the last sign to authenticity.  But seriously, looking at your pics, the m50 looks too gorgeous to be fake IMHO!!!

May 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 16
ahh thank you thank you, yeah they're both the same side. I'm just really paranoid about this whole fake thing haha. Especially for my first pair of headphones...

we'll see what Audio Technica has to say when I call them tomorrow just to finalize it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back