Just got into high end head audio, upgrade from HD600 to what? LCD , HE500 or???
Jan 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CanNtube

New Head-Fier
My first post here, thanks all.

As a new member to headphone audio, Im not sure how to approach this or what to be looking for.

Just got a very nice tube head amp made for myself. Happy to post more on it shortly. Its using a single 6SL7 driving a 6L6 and can do about 1000mw into 100 ohms per channel. So can drive all but the most crazy designs and no electrostats. So thats my power limits.

Currently using HD600s and really love the sound. So far Im finding their short comings being not much emphasis below 50hz. That bugs me the most. They dont have the end all in 3d / staging. Not terrible but not awe inspiring either. I really like their neutral sound. They arent shrill to me at all. And on the whole seem really well designed. Just sucks they dont do sub bass much at all. They also can get a bit congested at loud complex passages. Not bad though. Im glad I got them for use right now. Got em cheap and feel they are a great value.

Im going to be using ALLOT of digital as a source. Currently have a MHDT Havana which I absolutely love. And am an all tube pre and amp guy too. There will be vinyl used too. But so far not as much due to convenience of my digital sources. I all about warm rich detailed sound. But need my sub bass too. Im not after the end all in sparkle and top end detail. I cant stand the mastering of so much digital that I try and make my system tolerable to it.

From what Im reading the sound of the HE500 and LCD-2 sound like they would be right up my alley with what I feel Im missing. Its hard to say without direct exposure though. Im here in SE Wisconsin so not sure of any place to hear within reason. Work all the time and have my son.

One thing that puzzles me about Audeze. They seem really serious as a US company and appear to be trying hard. Wish we could see more like that. But why the 1 year warranty? HiFi man is 3 years and many of the other offerings in the $1K area offer 2 or more. I have no plans of driving em to damage but it would be really nice to see greater stand behind for that kind of money. Im also a little scared by their move to offer the next generation at 2X the money! Seems a bold and maybe dangerous move to long term stability of the company. I wish them all the best and they clearly have made a major splash. But yeah, Im not some super rich audiophile by a WIDE margin. Work hard to scrape up spending $ for my love and try to make it well spent.

Up for all ideas and thoughts on where I should be looking. I certainly not sold on any one product yet. Just yearning for the next level and loving the headphone scene. Listening more and more since getting into it.

Thanks so much for thoughts and reading this.

Dave

Heres the amp

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/HA14.htm

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 6
I officially started off my head-fi journey with an HD600.  I've owned and gone through multiple pairs of high end headphones such as the T1's, HD800's, and LA7000's but the journey eventually ended with me back with an HD600.  They are a great headphone and definitely one of the best, if not the best (it's all personal preference), in that price range.

Also I've demoed both the HE-500 and the LCD-2 and I can say that if you like the HD600's, you would probably like the HE-500's.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 6

"I officially started off my head-fi journey with an HD600.  I've owned and gone through multiple pairs of high end headphones such as the T1's, HD800's, and LA7000's but the journey eventually ended with me back with an HD600.  They are a great headphone and definitely one of the best, if not the best (it's all personal preference), in that price range.

Also I've demoed both the HE-500 and the LCD-2 and I can say that if you like the HD600's, you would probably like the HE-500's."

Thanks much for the reply. Yeah I dont find them offensive in the least or anything. They have a great tone and overall presentation that I like. Not at all bright to me. And they fit great. Can jam and move around allot without fear of em flying off.

But with all your experience with them... Do you also hear that big drop off below 50hz? Its not like they cannot do bass at all. Just that the emphasis really disappears in the sub region. If they had good deep bass I could probably live with em forever. Im just so used to my other full stereo gear. FYI I usually use big JBL 4430 studio monitors driven with 60 watt tube amps. Not the end all in resolution for a stereo but they cover the spectrum well enough, minus top end. Which never bothered me too much as they do so much other stuff well (to me).

May I ask... What did the T1s / HE500 / LCD-2 not do for you? They are on my Damn I wish I could Hear em in Person list...

Thanks for the insight

Dave

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, I honestly can't speak too much about the HE-500 or the LCD-2 because I've never actually owned them, I've just heard them on occasion and by the time I gave them a decent listen, I was already content with my HD600's.  All I know is that from my initial impression, I felt the HE-500 was more HD600 like than the LCD-2.  The LCD-2 is more laid back and musical kinda like the HD650 while the HE-500 were brighter and felt more balanced.  I know I use the sennheisers to describe them but orthos use totally different drivers so it's a different sound. 

The thing that killed me about the T1's were that they just weren't very comfortable.  I know they made revisions to the headband which solves most of the issues but pads just didn't really cover my ears all the way.  I mean it was good enough to block outside sound but it doesn't encompass my whole ear like the HD600 does, then again it doesn't encompass the whole side of my face like an HD800 does either. 

I think the biggest problem with an open headphone is that it can't really convey the sub bass frequencies as well as a closed headphone.  That's kinda why I fell in love with the Denons when I first heard them because they could really hit the lows like no other headphone I've ever heard.  Then again, there is absolutely no way the Denon was going to sound as natural as an open headphone would either.

I do know what you're talking about with the 50hz and below though.  I think if the HD600 had that, then it would be much better.  The closest I've gotten to that is eq'n down the mid-bass on the sennheiser ie8.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
From what Im reading the sound of the HE500 and LCD-2 sound like they would be right up my alley with what I feel Im missing. Its hard to say without direct exposure though. Im here in SE Wisconsin so not sure of any place to hear within reason

If you're serious about buying, and buying new, you could order both from Headroom and return the one you like less.

FWIW, I've owned hd600's for a long time, and recently had the lcd2 in my system for a weekend -- I think you'd be happy with the lcd2, although for me, I thought it had too much bass. (I own hd800's :wink:

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 6
If you are very fond of the HD600s there's a very good chance that you will really like the HE-500. Since I got my HE-500, my Sennheiser HD580 has been reduced to doing office duty with a portable rig. They have a similar neutral signature, but the HE-500 will give you noticeably cleaner sound and more detailed mid-range, more bass slam, decay and impact and a slightly wider soundstage. The HE-500 are heavy though! I sometimes find myself wishing they were as light as the HD580s! The HD580s I can wear for hours with no discomfort. With the HE-500 you need to work a bit on those neck muscles! 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back