Just got a pair of DT770/80's *initial impressions*
Apr 4, 2007 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

pwrusr

100+ Head-Fier
*These are the old models not the new ones* however they were brand new in the box.
I haven't posted here in a long time, however I've been learking around for a while. so anyway I have a few questions about them. bass is awsome, really is!
basshead.gif
just like everyone said. LOL!

My last set of cans (still have them) are a pair of senn HD280's. the dt770's sound a bit different to say the least...

So I've only had them a day now. and I'm wondering about how they sound after break in and how long they should be broken in? (Thinking this may solve the issues I have with them below)

my initial impressions are that these are great for just listening. I just can't listen too loudly otherwise the bass seems to break up the upper freq's. I know that since the hier freq's are also being pumped through the same driver that it creates a odd doppler effect with higher freq's on bass heavy music. not really what I'm looking for
frown.gif

The highs can also be edgey on some recordings and mids are just a tad resessed. great some some music depening on how it was mastered. but some that I love to listen to is all fubared.

As much as I love the nice bass they put out I'm thinking about returnng them and getting another pair of headphones that have a flatter bottom end and better more defined mids and highs around the sameish pricerange. open air or closed, doesn't really matter. so long as detail is up there.

*Update, see post #36

Apr 4, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 37
This isn't too unlike my early impressions of the same headphones. I only used them for about a week, and then sold them. I posted various comments about them during the short time that I owned them. They were kind of hit or miss for me, sounding great on certain songs or even whole albums, and not so good on others. What I ended up really missing in the end was the all-around performance of the DT 250-80s I owned prior to these. I finally decided to get back to that sound, which is more neutral and balanced to my ears, and ordered the DT 250-250 (should be coming in the mail later this week--oh darn, a holiday weekend's a-coming, maybe I'll have to wait until next week). If you haven't heard any of the DT 250s, it might be worth having a listen.

I did find that just a few hours of burn-in helped the DT 770 Pro/80 a bit, and fiddling with the different gain settings on my amp had profound effects. In my case, the higher the gain, the better the sonic results were.

Apr 4, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 37
I can't really say that I hate them. they sound great with trance/techno that I listen to alot. the bass is there way more then what was there with the 280 pros. At the same time it's not overpowering (I expected the bass to be alot more powerful then what I'm hearing now thanks to some of the reviews I've read about them).
after a quick search around it looks like the DT880 might be a better set of cans for my tastes. I donno yet... I want to give the DT770's a bit of a chance. afterall I still have about 29 days to mess around with them
smily_headphones1.gif

*edit* I just found out I had the EQ on winamp with the bass cut back about 8-10dB on the 60hz setting and 5-6dB on the 170Hz setting. sadly flat makes these cans sound really bad. the bass is way too overpowering. I don't want a pair of headphones that sound like that with a flat EQ. sounds almost like a cheesey bass boost was tuned on on some walkman cd player
frown.gif

Granted if you're a basshead these are great for you. I'm not one however, I've always liked bass so long as it was detailed, tight, punchy and most importently flat.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 37
After listening to "In The Dark" by Tiesto here:
http://www.myspace.com/tiesto
I'm even more unhappy
frown.gif

it starts out nice. the vocals sound great. then the bass kicks in and it KILLS the other higher freq's. these cans sound like a set of cheap bass heavy car speakers with that little built in looking tweeter on the woofer. think doppler effect added to higher freq's thanks to the bass.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 37
Hey there, I have the same cans and have had no problems with them at all. I listen to 90% Electronica music and thought these were well suited.
biggrin.gif

What are your sources? Lossless Audio? DAC? What kind of amp are you using to push these? You should definitely burn these in for 100 hours + at a very modest volume level(not distorted). Just loop your favorite music and let them go for about a week straight.

Oh, I checked out that Tiesto track you posted and it is of very low quality. Even I wrinkled my nose! I would not suggest basing your opinions on quality of that caliber. Might I recommend finding your favorite tracks in MP3 320, AAC, or FLAC?

Happy listening!

~Z

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 37
Just like you said, I also found the dt770/80 to shine with well recorded tracks. A lot of the times, however, the bass what a tad overwhelming. If you can find the old dt880 for $150 still, I would recommend that. It has powerful bass, but never overwhelming, and each part of its frequency response is just great. Well, it can be a little bright, but one would also experience that with the dt770's.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there, I have the same cans and have had no problems with them at all. I listen to 90% Electronica music and thought these were well suited.
biggrin.gif

What are your sources? Lossless Audio? DAC? What kind of amp are you using to push these? You should definitely burn these in for 100 hours + at a very modest volume level(not distorted). Just loop your favorite music and let them go for about a week straight.

Oh, I checked out that Tiesto track you posted and it is of very low quality. Even I wrinkled my nose! I would not suggest basing your opinions on quality of that caliber. Might I recommend finding your favorite tracks in MP3 320, AAC, or FLAC?

Happy listening!

~Z

I ment no disrespect to the cans. but I feel like what I said beore about the doppler effect remains true on pretty bass heavy music. I can't really beat down these cans for sounding bad. they don't. they sound good on ALOT of recordings. but for my tastes they pound out WAY too much bass. like I siad above it's when I turn up the volume to a level just a few clicks above normal is when the funky bass really breaks up the higher freq's. the bass needs some damping or something to get a good bit tighter.
I'll admit I don't have the best source: computer soundcard -> Logitech Z-5300e -> headphones.
I *might* get a amp for them sometime in the future, but for now this is what I have.

I just don't know how they could sound much better since again all the freq's are coming out of the same driver (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Sometimes I like to turn the volume up a bit and just enjoy the music. the overwhelming bass that kills the upper freq's on some songs really kills the listening experence. I'm willing to let them break in a bit and see how it goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like you said, I also found the dt770/80 to shine with well recorded tracks. A lot of the times, however, the bass what a tad overwhelming. If you can find the old dt880 for $150 still, I would recommend that. It has powerful bass, but never overwhelming, and each part of its frequency response if just great. Well, it can be a little bright, but one would also experience that with the dt770's.

The trebble I can live with to be honest with you I find it to have a nice shine to the higher end. I always liked a nice sparkle to the music I listen to. the overwhelming bass and recessed mids I don't like as much however
frown.gif

to round up this post, I want a set of cans that offer very tight bass and very well detailed everywhere else in the freq range. I can not spend over $300. I want to stay below $200 if at all possable but $300 is there for a price cap just in case something is REALLY worth it.

let me know what everyone thinks
580smile.gif

PS thanks for the site guys.

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 37
*UPDATE!!*
I found the reason why the bass was crackleing up the upper freq's on some songs. ran them through Audacity and found those songs in question to be clipping. not badly mind you but enough to fuge up the sound quite noticeably. ran the songs through a compressor plugin and all is well in the land of bass and sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I retract my statement on the "doppler effect" above on bass heavy stuff. it was just the songs clipping.
basshead.gif
some sound tech was really sitting out for the day on those songs
frown.gif

In the end I still think I may end up returning them for something with flatter bass.
Just remember this guys I like these cans alot, I really do. if you like bass... and who here is a closet basshead? everyone is to some extent. these cans may be a good pair to try on for size!

I fired up a game of BF2 tonight. Game REALLY came alive! explosions sounded like something out of a movie theatre! and I could tell where gunfire and other different sounds were coming from
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrusr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The trebble I can live with to be honest with you I find it to have a nice shine to the higher end. I always liked a nice sparkle to the music I listen to. the overwhelming bass and recessed mids I don't like as much however
frown.gif

to round up this post, I want a set of cans that offer very tight bass and very well detailed everywhere else in the freq range. I can not spend over $300. I want to stay below $200 if at all possable but $300 is there for a price cap just in case something is REALLY worth it.

DT 831?

Apr 5, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 37
I just received my DT770/80s in the mail today. Although they could definitely use a bit of burn-in, I find them a very good can for electronica/hip-hop. However, as mentioned in almost every other thread about DT770/80s, they don't fully shine until they are amped.

I spent the majority of my time listening to them at work with my Zen Vision:M/Pa2v2 combo. Unfortunately, the Pa2v2 did not affect the sound that much, although it does even out the lower bass frequencies a tad bit. The mids were VERY recessed, at least in comparison to my Senn 580s.

However, when I got home I plugged them into my Cute/Fubar II combo and they sounded like another headphone entirely. The mids came out of hiding and the once sloppy bass tightened up. The sparkly highs seemed a little more dynamic and less tweeter like. I think with a little burn-in, these suckers are keepers!

I think that perhaps it is your source that is keeping you from enjoying these cans. First of all, what type of soundcard do you have? Integrated? If so, then everything is going to sound like crap. Secondly, bypass the headphone-out of the Z5300s, because it tends to degrade the sound quality significantly, although this won't be that noticeable with an integrated card. I have the Z2300s, so I speak from experience.

"Garbage in, garbage out" as the famous Head-fi adage goes.

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 37
When I got mine I listened on them for about an hour jumping through different genres and it was a bit to dark and "muddy" sounding.
But after burning them in seven nights a row (about 56 hours) with pink noise the started to break free. Now, after two months and a whole lot of listening I think they sound lovely and they're becoming better for every hour of listening.
600smile.gif

Question!
I have 70min pink noise on a cd which I plays on repeat when I'm burning my headphones in and I wonder if boosting the tremble on my receiver will help bring out the mids on the DT-770 since the pink noise sounds more veiled?
Or am I wrong?

/Chopha

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

I fired up a game of BF2 tonight. Game REALLY came alive! explosions sounded like something out of a movie theatre! and I could tell where gunfire and other different sounds were coming from
smily_headphones1.gif

Man, bf2 was such a joy with my dt770/80's can. Explosions used to scare the CRAP out of me when they went off on the dt770's. The advice you received above(using pink noise, burning-in in general, and upping your source and getting an amp) seems to be very sound. I would suggest you give these cans a thorough try before you dump them; you just might be surprised
tongue.gif

Other than that, great detail across the whole frequency spectrum? That sounds like the dt880 to me. I think you can get the dt880'32 ohm version off Beyerdynamic's Manufacturer page for just about $300. They may still need an amp, but if you're knew to high-end audio, they just might do the trick
tongue.gif
If that version is still too expensive for you, I say try to find an $150 dt880/03'250 ohm can, and spend the rest on the best amp for the money. Trust me, the dt880 can is several levels above the dt770's
basshead.gif
etysmile.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

I'll admit I don't have the best source: computer soundcard -> Logitech Z-5300e -> headphones.
I *might* get a amp for them sometime in the future, but for now this is what I have.

Maybe the Logitech is the source of problem. I have only experimented with some cheap Creative SBS speaker headphone jack and found that bass-heavy music becomes bass-only music. It may be better to either disconnect the Logitech or use headphone splitter for the soundcard output into Logitech/Headphones (and no amp) instead of using the Logitech as an amp.

Apr 5, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 37
My first post
smily_headphones1.gif

At first I found the DT770s little bit too "polite" sound-wise (even the most harsh and aggressive music didn't make much of an impact), the extra bass wasn't a problem. I think they've gotten a lot better after some six moths - now they sound positively huge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back