Just got a pair of DT770/80's *initial impressions*
Apr 5, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #16 of 37
What you are searching for is the Ultrasone Prolines any of them. Not in the same price range. Maybe HFI-2200 or HFI-700 can compete against the DT 770?

What I love with my 750 is that it has a stronger low end than the DT 770. Tighter bass and better bass extension and mucho impact whereas it also has a awesome high end and good mid range. They are extremely versatile if you don´t feel like having several headphones to switch between ll the time
smily_headphones1.gif

A bit more demanding on the recordings perhaps and also make more use of an amp than the DT 770. Depends a bit on how strong source you got how much you need an amp.

95 % of the sound quality is for me in the headphones. Amp and Source does the rest
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 37
I tried hooking the headphones right up to the sound card
blink.gif
what a difference. bass fell FLAT and the volume isn't loud at all. even all the way up I can't hear it too well. I know you guys see where I'm going with this. if you didn't guess I'm thinking about a amp now. Thanks head-fi
600smile.gif

I burned them in all day today with the CD Bass Mekanik Sonic Overload CD2 (test tone CD) and let that play all day long hooked up to the DVD player's headphone output.

I also hooked them up to my home recevier in my living room to see how they sounded. I honestly can't complain. from a flat source they sound great. yeah the lows are a tad boosted but nothing to complain about. infact they sound just about right for where I'd have them set to if I had a EQ to EQ the songs. I also noted something on a song when I switch from the headphone output on the DVD player to the one on the reciver... the song that was playing had a synth that tapered off in steps instead of a slope (when it was hooked up to the reciver). never noticed that before.

and so it begans again, another hobby... that costs money. like I said before thanks head-fi, thanks alot
orphsmile.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, when I got home I plugged them into my Cute/Fubar II combo and they sounded like another headphone entirely. The mids came out of hiding and the once sloppy bass tightened up. The sparkly highs seemed a little more dynamic and less tweeter like. I think with a little burn-in, these suckers are keepers!

I think that perhaps it is your source that is keeping you from enjoying these cans. First of all, what type of soundcard do you have? Integrated? If so, then everything is going to sound like crap. Secondly, bypass the headphone-out of the Z5300s, because it tends to degrade the sound quality significantly, although this won't be that noticeable with an integrated card. I have the Z2300s, so I speak from experience.

"Garbage in, garbage out" as the famous Head-fi adage goes.

You got that 100% right dude! I think I really want to spend a little bit on a nice amp and perhaps a DAC of somekind so I can go from my digital out to the amp pretty much directly.

I feel these are cans that have alot going for them if you have them hooked up to the right source. my denon reciver that's hooked up to my DVD player via digital cableing sounds worlds better. however I can't really have that setup in my room. maybe this is reason to see if somehow I can have it...

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #19 of 37
here we are about a week after I got them and some more time to burn in:

Let me go into detail on what my impressions are with how they sound with a flat EQ. CD/DVD player that was one of the best at the time as far as audio output went and a denon AVR1601. it may not sound alike all that but it's the best setup I have. my computer setup isn't that great. but anyway, I'll keep this short...

I went over some songs I've heard soooo many times before on alot of different setups (including some studio setups
smily_headphones1.gif
) and about 80-90% of the songs sounded too boomy/bassy for my likeing. The mids seemed to sound better then when they were freash out of the box. the highs seemed to have a bit too much sparkle.

Comfort wise they are some of the best headphones that have ever sat on my head. even after about two hours of just chilling on my living room floor my head was still willing to keep on going and listening. My butt was really begining to hurt though (hardwood floor and a thin carpet FTL) LOL. so I gave up listening for the night and decided to tell you all what my thoughts were on the cans.

I'll wrap this up by saying that I like bass. However, the bass on these cans are just a tad too BIG for my tastes
basshead.gif

summery pros and cons
Bass:
For me it's too much, however it could be perfect for those that really like their bass. The bass is very clean however. I'd have to rate the bass up there with the kind of bass you'd get out of a $2500+ subwoofer. it really is powerful!

Mids:
they are ok I guess really veries from recording to recording. some are perfect but for the most part they are a tad overwhelmed from the bass and highs. vocals come through well enough on well recorded tracks.

Highs:
I gotta be honest with you here, the highs are GOOD. they are a tad too in your face from time to time but for the most part they sizzle. they have a very live feel about them. when a cymble crashes it sounds like it would in a live band playing rock and roll.

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #20 of 37
To add to the previous post, I wanted to like these cans, but in the end the bass kills the listening experience for me. They are the perfect set of cans for gaming and action movies. But I don't have the kind of funds to get certian cans for certian kinds of activities. If I did I'd be going all out on a NICE tube amp
580smile.gif

I will be bidding the DT770's fairwell tomarrow and looking for something to better suit my tastes.

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #21 of 37
Bummer about letting them go. I know what you mean about boomy bass, albeit tight and very dynamic. They're pretty much my designated hip-hop cans. At that genre, they're straight awesome. However, once they touch anything acoustic/classical/jazz/female vocals, they get slaughtered by the smooth mids of my HD580s. However, like I said before, the 580s cannot cut it with hip-hop. I guess these two are my yin and yang in the headphone realm (with a little grado action to jazz things up a bit).

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 37
Yeah it's kinda bitter sweet to take them back. I DO like them for some kinds of music. Infact Dave Matthews Band songs sound great on these cans, with just a bit more bass then what should be there.
It turns out the logitechs put out a relitively flat signal. which brings me to what alot of people say about these cans... If you REALLLY like your bass. like it mean, tight and above "flat responce" (about 10dB above the "flat line") these cans are really for you!
basshead.gif

I'm one that likes bass alot, but these are a tad overwhelming for my tastes.

I'm looking for some cans that will give me the flatest responce for the money. So far I think the DT880's may do the best job for my tastes. They are also a great set of cans to grow with as a budding headphile from what I've heard
600smile.gif
I'll try to remember to link the coming threads I start here or in my sig.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 37
Thanks for the revealing looks at the 770. I'd been wondering about these for quite some time, suspecting that the bass might be a little overwhelming. The 990s look as if they might be just the right thing for you, so if you can hear them in person (or go to the San Jose meet), you might find some there. Just the info I wanted.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the revealing looks at the 770. I'd been wondering about these for quite some time, suspecting that the bass might be a little overwhelming. The 990s look as if they might be just the right thing for you, so if you can hear them in person (or go to the San Jose meet), you might find some there. Just the info I wanted.

just remember I reviewed the older pre 2005 model dt770.

I'm looking through alot of posts to see what I can find out about some other can's I'm interested in.

I'll try to remember to link the threads I start in the future about my search so that those that are subscribed to this thread can follow my search...

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrusr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like bass. However, the bass on these cans are just a tad too BIG for my tastes
basshead.gif

Hm...................
I always like to hear people who say the DT770pro have a lot of bass. To me they are bass shy, like the other 90% of headphones out there. Maybe it's just me....
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I have had the DT770pro 250ohm (similar to 80ohm), and have to say that you pretty much were able to sum them up. You didn't mention soundstage, and that's one area that these headphones do well in.

The Bass and Highs are a little forward compared to the mids, and I agree that this doesn't make for the most relaxed sound. I would have suggested you get them modded to darth's, but if you think these have too much bass already, that's a big No-No.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Personally I would recommend you check out the 2005 DT880 or DT990. These are more balanced than the DT770pro. Similar also is the AKG K701 which is frequenly recommended both for sound and comfort. If you can find a bass lite version of the K340 that might be another great option for you! And of course you have the tried and true Senn HD650 which may be right up your alley.
I would put all these on your short list to audition.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #26 of 37
Hey thanks for your thoughts! yeah those were all the cans I was considering. I just need to find a place to actually play with them. sadly I don't know of any other place other then guitar center. but they only had the DT770's on display and no senns other then the ones I already have.

To anyone who's following my search here's a thread I just started:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2867686

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #28 of 37
hmm, I'd like to try grado, but from what I've read so far they seem a tad too colored sound wise from what I've read (for my tastes).

*I ask everyone who's read this thread to check out post #26 for a link to a thread I've just started. post your reccomendations there please*
cool.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #29 of 37
If you like the 770 sound, it is just as colored as a Grado. My 501s are about the least colored headphone I have heard, but almost to a fault.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the 770 sound, it is just as colored as a Grado. My 501s are about the least colored headphone I have heard, but almost to a fault.

I didn't like the overall sound of the DT770 in the end. they just didn't offer everything I really wanted in a set of cans. They seemed to have a vail over the details in the music. I really want a set of cans that are much flatter responce wise. I also want a set that can retreive all the details in the music.
The dt770's just didn't seem to do that for me. they were however VERY comfy
580smile.gif

check my thread out to get a better idea what I'm after:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235117

Users who are viewing this thread

Back