Just got a pair of DT770/80's *initial impressions*
Apr 12, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrusr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They seemed to have a vail over the details in the music.
I also want a set that can retreive all the details in the music.

Going to have to disagree with you on this one. With a detailed source, these headphones are fairly detailed, especially for their price. I have a funny feeling your headphones are not seeing their true potential.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's just my gut feeling.
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to have to disagree with you on this one. With a detailed source, these headphones are fairly detailed, especially for their price. I have a funny feeling your headphones are not seeing their true potential.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's just my gut feeling.
frown.gif

I'm here to hear everyone's opinions. so I really appreciate your input.

You're probably right there. however with my best source they seemed to lack a bit of detail that I desire. They were the best pair of cans I've had up to this point however. They were just way WAY too bass heavy for MY tastes.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #33 of 37
It's also a matter of breaking them in. The sound on mine is slowly improving, with my initial thoughts of being shallow, disorting, overwhelming bass, limited mids, and painful highs.

After 3 weeks of gaming and music, it's slowly improving. It was a MASSIVE improvement from my Altec-lansing, 1AA battery (amp'd) headphones. Upgrading my sound card to the Elite Pro, as well as adding the Headroom MiniAmp made audible improvements as well. I'm hoping that the breaking in will continue, and the soundstage improve. Also pondering about going to the DarthBeyers.

My opinion of these continue to improve, but you HAVE to get them properly amped, and with a good burn in time. I saw your profile that you only had them 1 week. From my personal experience, that did nothing to improve the sound. It's only been over the past week or so that I have noticed an audible improvement.

P.S. This site is painful to the wallet. Thanks guys!
eggosmile.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrusr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want a set of cans that are much flatter responce wise. I also want a set that can retreive all the details in the music.

Sounds like DT880 is what you are after.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #35 of 37
HyperTension, The DT770's were a set of cans I wanted to enjoy. and for some things I did enjoy them very much. for others they were a tad "eh". I'm all about a nice flat freq responce. I really don't like anything to get in the way of the music and want it to sound the way it did in the studio.

Andrew_WOT, yep, from what I've been reading so far they seem to be just what I'm looking for.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #36 of 37
...And back from the dead. I've come full circle
beyersmile.png

Thought I'd drop a line in this thread again since I just bought a new pair of 770/80's at guitar center. I really think that the first pair I got was defective or something because the bass seemed to be distorting. I'm not sure if beyer upgraded the drivers or what, but they sound strikingly like to my 880's with more SLAM... in a good way. they sound great!!!

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #37 of 37
Just to add a bit of detail... I really like the "you are there feeling" that these 770's can convey, I'm sure that upgrading my source and headphone amp had a little to do with it... Then again thinking back... I remember also trying the 770s on my receiver with CD player attached and got the same poor distorted results in the bass department. Not so with the pair I just got. These babys ROCK! 
Best of all I got a great deal locally on them.

I compared them directly to the sennheiser 380pros at guitar center. the 380s seemed to be a bit forward in midrange presentation, almost "cupped" sounding. The 770's were a bit laid back. I tend to like that a little more then a forward midrange. Treble is much like my 880's... Heck side to side the 770's that I got vs. the 880's I've had for a while sound much the same from the lower midrange up. I really wonder just like my last post if beyer upgraded the drivers in the 770's. 

Quote:
...And back from the dead. I've come full circle
beyersmile.png

Thought I'd drop a line in this thread again since I just bought a new pair of 770/80's at guitar center. I really think that the first pair I got was defective or something because the bass seemed to be distorting. I'm not sure if beyer upgraded the drivers or what, but they sound strikingly like to my 880's with more SLAM... in a good way. they sound great!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back