June 8th Tokyo Head-Fi Meet: Tentatively GKanai's Office
Jun 8, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #138 of 176
Thanks all, I had a great time, I didnt try too much gear but enjoyed the company. Taichi had fun also, thank you all fro helping him enjoy his day - He slept before we even got to the train.

Thanks again to Gkanai for the use of his space and the pizza!

*Some pics, from my iphone camera...sorry :wink:
Anakchan will provide the high def pics.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #139 of 176
ugupy4u9.jpg
u8y5yga4.jpg
u2egy5an.jpg
py7aja8u.jpg

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #141 of 176
These are the private photos. Not certain where to share the public photos - either new thread or just one existing product ones (and therefore scatter the pictures over multiple threads).

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #142 of 176
Very, very cool guys!!!  I've been following this thread from a distance (literally) and living vicariously through it.  Nice to see the R10s make an appearance again- definitely one of the most beautiful headphones off the head, one of the most dorkiest on!  
tongue.gif

I think I know or have met most of you, but could someone caption who is who L > R in this photo?

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #143 of 176
Hey Mike! Good to hear from you!

I agree it was a very cool meet yesterday, Gen's office was the perfect place to held the meet, he treated us with delicious pizzas and entertained with cool photos of his castle back in NYC, totally awesome time :).

The R10 is the same bass light version Jeff brought at the last fall festival (when you fool dragged your K1000 all the way to Tokyo!). While I found it quite colored at that time (through very short listen) and again this time through the Eximus DP-1, it sound much more balanced through Sean's Zana Deux. I litteraly listened to it no more than 2min though (it's just unbelievable how fast a meet can pass by), so yeah I can't say much if anything...

The other observation for me is that once again I felt like the 009 has spoiled from all the rest of gear I listen to. The LCD3 / Zana Deux combo was getting close (including sound signature) yet it did not do anything better in short listen (including bass slam) . It will be interesting to hear Amos comment on the Zana Deux pairing.

As predicted, the DAC shoot out did not really happen. We did a bit with Amos between dp1 and invicta, but also switching phones / amps (sr009/lcd3) plus using music I am unfamiliar with I could not say much if only the dp1 might have more body than the invicta with the invicta maybe more precise on the placement / dp1 throwing a wider soundstage. but really, this is the kind of subtle differences I want to evaluate at home with an a/b switch and level marching.

Another let down was the fostex 900, which had very loose bass through the zana deux (probably an impedance issue with the amp being otl), phone sounded more like I am used to out of the invicta hp out.

Other things I tried were iems, like 20 second each..... but enough to stear me clear of the french earsolution phone (too bass heavy for me through the iphone 5, quite relaxed overall though). The translucent iem sounding off to me (shrill), probably a fit issue as I could not seat it properly.

For the pic Mike: shin, jeff (gibraltar),meeself, gen (gkanai) , an unknown bloke who said he flew over from fukuoka just for this :-0, adam who's a friend gen brought! Other cool people joined but are not on this pic: damon (expatinjapan), yoan (wallabee), another aussie bloke who rides around in porsche, and I hope I didn't forget anyone.

Thanks all and esp. Gen, hope we have another one before the fall festival! Aug/sept?

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #144 of 176
Very good!  Thanks for the information.  Yeah- it seems like these meets usually start with the intentions of critical listening and comparisons; but then they (de-)evolve into mostly social gatherings.  It's the same here.  That means you're probably doing it right!  I agree that at home, a/b, level matched, familiar tracks/sources is the way to go for evaluation; especially with the more subtle things like DACs or power supplies.  But it's still fun to try new stuff!

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #145 of 176
Bummer couldn't make it again.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #146 of 176
Damn, I thought we were missing someone! It's Skoog! I mentioned to Gen saying "aren't we a little short?".

Anyway, This round, It was the SR-007Mk1 & MDR-R10's that wow'ed me. The MDR-R10's were a given but showed it's potential off the Zana Deux. The SR-007Mk1 OTOH was a surprise. I had no expectations of it - ok that's not entirely true. I expected it to be like the SR-007Mk2 which I didn't know how to appreciate. The SR-007Mk1 felt much more lush and rich whilst the SR-009s felt more sterile to my ears.

Both these headphones put my TH-900's to shame.

P.S. After you all left and Amos & Yoan & I went for coffee, Yoan gave us the "proper" pronunciation of Zana DEUX :p. French lesson 102!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back