Jomo Audio Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 2, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #166 of 686
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #168 of 686
I ramped up the bling for this one. Time to dance!

IMG_20171004_172948.jpg

Many thanks to the Jomo team for some excellent service and wicked fast turnover time! I got them less than 3 weeks from the day they received my ear impressions. Bravo.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #170 of 686
Which model is this? Love the look of the red one and the blue one is actually similar to mine!
Flamenco. Gotta love their customisation options. We have the same great taste lol.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #171 of 686
Flamenco. Gotta love their customisation options. We have the same great taste lol.
And the same model too!

Personally can't stomach different color on each side so I ended up using gold/silver nugget to differentiate them. It's a subtle difference but helps differentiating the pair outside the shape and faceplate

The only problem is mine turnabout was roughly 2 months though :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #174 of 686
Nov 10, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #175 of 686
P_20171111_085402.jpg

P_20171111_085204.jpg

Samba sounds really good playing with electronic music. Incredible resolution, and clarity, with great separation, and layering ability. Although the stage size feels kinda average, it has a pretty good level of transparency. Bass is definitely not shy on the Samba.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #176 of 686
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #178 of 686
Hey guys! Just over two weeks ago, I received Jomo Audio’s latest creation - the Haka - for review. Unfortunately, due to the ridiculous backlog I’m currently experiencing, I won’t be able to begin writing the review until I finish my next few assignments. So, here are some impressions I posted on @flinkenick’s thread a while ago. Enjoy!

Design-wise, I let Joseph have full control - something I rarely ever do - because Jomo's cosmetic work never fails to impress... and that continues today. Above is admittedly a phone photo, but - even here - the Haka's big blue shells radiate beautifully. It looks like a metallic blue/metallic silver swirl, and I couldn't be happier with the results. The nebula-like vortex on the faceplates are an especially wonderful touch, pulling every bit of focus straight onto the golden metallic Haka logo glistening just above.

In terms of sound quality, I'm happy to report that the custom Haka is far-and-away superior to the universal demo I tried at MS a couple weeks ago. Although the low-end is still weighty and accentuated, the overall signature is nowhere near as dark, full or veiled because of the improved treble region. The custom Haka has greater top-end presence, extension and linearity; adding a significant amount of air, transparency and cleanliness to the stage. I don't know whether the problematic bloat only exists in MS's specific demo unit, or if it's a common issue amongst all the universal IEMs. I tried almost every tip in the store (including Final Audio tips, MandarinES's Symbio tips and SpinFits) and none of them honestly helped. I'd need to hear another production-quality universal Haka to confirm, but for now, I strongly recommend going for the custom variant for the best possible experience.

Below are quick impressions I noted down whilst listening to the Haka. Enjoy!

The Haka’s bass is full-bodied and accentuated. Layering and separation are decent (great for a single driver), but clarity and resolution definitely impress - esp. in terms of physicality and texture. There’s a slight focus on sub-bass frequencies, but the entire low-end as a whole is well above neutral. However, due to excellent extension both ways, the Haka’s bass does not excessively warm up the stage. It does give instruments an extra touch of body, and it can bleed into the midrange with certain recordings, but it’s a fun, mostly-clean and technically-impressive bass nonetheless.

The Haka has a midrange that balances body and clarity. An upper-mid tilt gives the Haka its clarity and dynamic energy, and heft comes from upper-bass warmth. The upper-mid peak means it isn’t the most natural in tone, but the Haka displays great cleanliness, especially for its driver configuration and its price. Vocal forwardness is slightly above neutral, making it agreeable with both audiophile-inclined tracks and modern pop tracks. Like Jomo’s other offerings, note size and overall soundstage are on the neutral/average side, but stage organisation and PRaT excel because (or rather, in spite) of it.

The Haka owes a lot of its technical performance to excellent treble extension and admirable linearity. Although the general treble region is slightly attenuated - preventing it from sounding overtly V-shaped or sparkly - the Haka draws its resolution, clarity and spatial stability from raw extension. This tuning choice also makes the Haka incredibly versatile. The top-end is also more present here than on MS's universal demo, which I found rather veiled because the accentuated bass introduced too much warmth into the soundstage. Left-right separation and general imaging impress, handily competing with IEMs above its price range and driver count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back