Jomo Audio Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 13, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #678 of 686
Don't you think Alpha Ti might have highs more like Ragnar than Ronin?
From memory, I'd say they're more like Ronin than Ragnar. They're on the more linear side, while the Ragnar is ultra-sharp and ultra-crisp.
Thanks...I thought that the PIEZO mounted on the Alpha Ti made the high range clearer and clearer. Similar to Ragnar

@fabio19, you're not completely wrong in thinking that way, but it's a different presentation.

All three have excellent high-frequency presence and extension, but as @Deezel177 pointed out, both the Ronin and the Ragnar are more incisive. And in the case of the Ragnar, its highs are particularly prominent. It can be intoxicating, but I wouldn't necessarily call it accurate.

By contrast, the Alpha Ti sounds more linear and balanced to my ears, where its highs contribute to an excellent sense of air and space, but without emphasis or exaggeration, so that it never sounds unnatural. In fact, I would say that's a Jomo Audio hallmark - delivering extended and spacious highs without being in-your-face - regardless of whether ESTs or Piezos are used. I personally appreciate that greatly.

Having said all that, I believe the Alpha Ti is all sold out as it's unavailable on the site. @RealSpark, is this true, are the Alpha Ti all gone? If so, is there anything else or on the horizon that shares the Alpha Ti's tuning?

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #679 of 686
@fabio19, you're not completely wrong in thinking that way, but it's a different presentation.

All three have excellent high-frequency presence and extension, but as @Deezel177 pointed out, both the Ronin and the Ragnar are more incisive. And in the case of the Ragnar, its highs are particularly prominent. It can be intoxicating, but I wouldn't necessarily call it accurate.

By contrast, the Alpha Ti sounds more linear and balanced to my ears, where its highs contribute to an excellent sense of air and space, but without emphasis or exaggeration, so that it never sounds unnatural. In fact, I would say that's a Jomo Audio hallmark - delivering extended and spacious highs without being in-your-face - regardless of whether ESTs or Piezos are used. I personally appreciate that greatly.

Having said all that, I believe the Alpha Ti is all sold out as it's unavailable on the site. @RealSpark, is this true, are the Alpha Ti all gone? If so, is there anything else or on the horizon that shares the Alpha Ti's tuning?
Thank you for the explanation. Have you by chance also listened to the Jomo GT600? To understand the differences above between piezo and the 4 east of Gt600. (The DDs are also different though....)

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #680 of 686

You are right. The Alpha Ti were very balanced and doesnt sound harsh at all. We tried to put just enough energy across the spectrum so that it won't be overwhelming.

All units were all gone in matter of days after we opened pre-order at Canjam Sg earlier this year. 😄😄 As the shell were 3D printed with Titanium and then hand polished, they were extremely hard to buff and polish and took us hours and hours to make them look perfect. I wish we can make more as there were a huge demand for it.

We made a variant of the Alpha Ti called the Impulse Ti specially for Hong Kong market with some changes such as a new titanium diaphram for the DDs, some changes to the crossover circuit and a new cable from PW Audio, just to make it localized to suit their taste.

We are working on some new model(s) now, i cant say too much but they sound goood. Coming soon 😁😁😁

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #681 of 686
Thanks...I thought that the PIEZO mounted on the Alpha Ti made the high range clearer and clearer. Similar to Ragnar
Treble sharpness isn't necessarily determined by what technology you use. It's by how much treble you choose to put in. The Ragnar has a massive, mountain of a peak in its low-to-mid-treble, which is what gives it its crispness and sharpness. No matter what driver you use, unless you put as big of a mountain in your treble response, you're not gonna get as sharp of a treble as the Ragnar. In cooking, a dish's saltiness isn't determined by what kind of salt you use, but how much of it you throw in there.

I, for one, heavily dislike the Ragnar's highs. I think it throws tonal balance out the window in order to get as much in-your-face clarity as possible. I'd take the Alpha Ti's over it any day. But, those are just my tastes.

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #682 of 686
Treble sharpness isn't necessarily determined by what technology you use. It's by how much treble you choose to put in. The Ragnar has a massive, mountain of a peak in its low-to-mid-treble, which is what gives it its crispness and sharpness. No matter what driver you use, unless you put as big of a mountain in your treble response, you're not gonna get as sharp of a treble as the Ragnar. In cooking, a dish's saltiness isn't determined by what kind of salt you use, but how much of it you throw in there.

I, for one, heavily dislike the Ragnar's highs. I think it throws tonal balance out the window in order to get as much in-your-face clarity as possible. I'd take the Alpha Ti's over it any day. But, those are just my tastes.
Obviously listening and pleasantness are and remain a subjective factor. Are the differences between GT600 and Alpha Ti very evident?

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #683 of 686
Obviously listening and pleasantness are and remain a subjective factor. Are the differences between GT600 and Alpha Ti very evident?
Yeah, they are. I'm just saying sharpness shouldn't be used as an objective measuring stick to determine a driver's quality. It's not like the sharper driver is the better driver. It's a subjective, tunable quantity and should be treated as such. I covered the GT600 and Alpha Ti on my CanJam SG 2023 writeup here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...march-25-26-2023.967460/page-18#post-17487904

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #684 of 686
Yeah, they are. I'm just saying sharpness shouldn't be used as an objective measuring stick to determine a driver's quality. It's not like the sharper driver is the better driver. It's a subjective, tunable quantity and should be treated as such. I covered the GT600 and Alpha Ti on my CanJam SG 2023 writeup here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...march-25-26-2023.967460/page-18#post-17487904
Thanks....I will read very carefully. Thanks for your kindness

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #685 of 686
We are working on some new model(s) now, i cant say too much but they sound goood. Coming soon 😁😁😁

Ooh! :smiley:

Thank you for the explanation. Have you by chance also listened to the Jomo GT600? To understand the differences above between piezo and the 4 east of Gt600. (The DDs are also different though....)

You are welcome! I actually have both the GT600 and Alpha Ti. Beyond driver differences, the two are simply tuned differently.

Are the differences between GT600 and Alpha Ti very evident?
Yeah, they are.

Again, as @Deezel177 pointed out, yes there are definitely differences, and they are quite noticeable. Let me put it this way, from a sound signature perspective, the two are not interchangeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back