JH5 or Reshell TF10
May 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dqnizer

New Head-Fier
It seem to me that both are equally tempting.

Should i get the Reshell TF10 or JH5? I quite enjoy the TF10 but I heard wonders about the JH5... So was just thinking which is a better one?

May 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 17
Reshelling doesn't make the IEM sound better. Sure you get the comfort and isolation of a custom which can yield positive (or negative if you encounter sibilance due to the absence of tips) results but it's simply not the same as a "true" custom.

I'd go with the JH5s and if you like them more, sell the Triples. However IMO the most cost effective (and one I'd probably do) is the Triple mold.

If I were to get a custom it would be one of the top tier ones.

May 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 17
Sound wise, I think the TF10 is the better iem if you can get a great fit.  I could never get a good fit, so I went on the upgrade path.  I also would say DON'T get the TF10 molded unless they don't fit you well.  The molding can change the sound for the worse - not always, butsometimes.  But if you're like most people, and find the TF10 sounds good, but is ridiculously uncomfortable and/or ill-fitting, getting it molded is a good route.  However, if you're really serious, I'd consider selling off a bunch of your lesser junk and trying to stetch for a JH11, or try to find a used UE10, UE11 or if you're really lucky, a JH11, JH13.  While more expensive, the SQ improvement they deliver will shred lots of fancy and expensive LODs, interconnects, amps, DACs and the like.  

May 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 17
people forget that its not only the driver and the crossover tunning that makes the differance, theres also the driver positioning inside the shell of the IEM, so reshelling or recasting must be done very carfully, reshelled or recasted IEM´s can sound very differently from the model which which the original components were obtained, it can improve, but it can also ruin a IEM,

you can see the importance of positioning of drives in iem´s like the phonaks PFE or the UE Super.fi 5 V2, which both rely heavly on casing acustings and angled firing of the armature to provide quite good sound from a single armature, which in some cases surpases the quality of more expencive dual armature phones,

May 9, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 17
nah, i am just going for either 1.... i know its better to get a better one. But my budget just fit either one. So which is better?

May 9, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 17
If you think you will get a good fit, I'd go with the Triples. You can get them for under 200 and if they don't fit or you don't like the sound, you could always sell and get the JH5s. 

May 10, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 17
dont forget alot of ppl will recommend you add the mid driver if you remould the tf10,

May 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 17
^ I really want to read a comparison of a 4 driver Triple (+mid driver) vs other top tier phones. Does it make them better or on par with other phones? How does adding that 4th driver affect the soundstage, detail, or other parts of the total sound? These are things I want to know.

May 12, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 17
Anyway, i dont own TF10. Just that I am thinking which one should i get... Still having a headache on this... =/

May 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 17
If you own a IE8 but dont own a triple.fi, consider yourself lucky,
i came from a triple.fi to the IE8, the IE8 only loses in a bit of speed to the Triple.fi 10, the IE8 crushes it in build quality, bass and trable quality, and is on par in mids,
not to mention the confort issues,

stick with the IE8, the only IEM´s i would consider leaving my IE8 for are the ortofone Q7 or the EarSonic ES3,

May 12, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 17
Disagree. The Triple-fi's massacre the IE8s on treble detail - and may be the most detailed universal of them all. The IE8s are a warm earphone with a sound signature that his its own appeal but compared to the best balanced armature universal IEMs - W3, UM3X, Triple-fi's etc. - they are frankly a tad sloppy.

All IMHO YMMV as always.

Quote:
If you own a IE8 but dont own a triple.fi, consider yourself lucky,
i came from a triple.fi to the IE8, the IE8 only loses in a bit of speed to the Triple.fi 10, the IE8 crushes it in build quality, bass and trable quality, and is on par in mids,
not to mention the confort issues,

stick with the IE8, the only IEM´s i would consider leaving my IE8 for are the ortofone Q7 or the EarSonic ES3,

May 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 17
actually, i found the opposide, once the IE8 developed and sparkled the treble really shined, while the TF sounded thin, but that could also be because of that horrible shape and fit,

May 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #14 of 17
The last point does make sense. I have some of the world`s largest ear canals and with the reverse mod and large comply tips, I have a perfect fit with the Trips. I understand that this makes me a rare bird.

May 12, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 17
^Same here. Except I could wear them normally with medium silicon tips. Lucky me eh? But anyway, coming from the Triples to the 3Xs, they do sound a little thin in comparison but IMO that's due to the lack of mids the phones. have. Very good phones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back