JH3A - How will you feed it?
May 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #137 of 164
My first CIEM was the JH13 and I loved it.  Before that I dabbled with on-ear and over the ear headphones with a couple of different amplifiers and DACs.  I did not have near the journey many of the hobbyists have on Head-fi before deciding to purchase the JH3A.  

If you have to have the JH3A because it's the pinnacle for many of us who love CIEM then by all means go for it.  But if you have yet to have a headphone journey of your own and you don't require the best sound a CIEM can produce then don't get the JH3A.  From my experience I suggest the JH16 if you listen to a lot of music with drums and bass.  If your music preferences are more eclectic then I think the JH13 is the way to go.  

I say get yourself a high-end CIEM and take a headphone journey of your own.  I will say that I prefer 3-way/4-way CIEM over 2-ways by a large margin.  If you have money to spend I suggest not trying to save by buying a 2-way CIEM.  I'm not a fan of my 2-way CIEM compared to the JH13 and Jh16.

May 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #138 of 164
thanks for the replies
BUT..still undecided about the jh3a vs jh16
I heard that if I buy the jh16, I cant upgrade to a  jh3a without buying both the jh16 and jh3a combo AGAIN.
That is a total waste of 1800 dollars.
Im just afraid that I could have enjoyed the jh3a more than the jh16 after i buy the jh16
on the other hand, im also afraid that buying the jh3a could be a waste of 600 dollars for an amp that may barely improve the sound (to my ears)

also is flac or alac significantly better than 320kbps aac
does the jh3a reveal a great difference between lossless and 320kbps?
although most of my albums have flac, there are some that I just can't find the flac version.
Does 320kbps sound terrible with the jh3a or jh16?, I heard that 
"garbage in, garbage out" is true for them.
If it does sound terrible, I may have to go through a lot to find the flac versions of some albums
otherwise, I can just stick with a mostly flac library with some albums in 320kbps
answers appreciated thanks!

PS btw, im starting to really appreciate headfi. I thought it was just a random forum. Now I think its the best one out there :wink:

May 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #139 of 164
One thing you may want to ask JH3A users is what they think the differences are between feeding the JH3A with a digital input versus feeding it with the analog input from a nice DAC and/or DAP.  These answers are important for you to hear because to many the differences are not subtle.  I wish I could help answer these question and your others about different file types but I'm afraid I don't have what I need to give you an answer worth your time.

I think the the DX100 and a high-end CIEM sounds nearly unbeatable due to its portability, its ability to drive high-end headphones, and its coolness.  Yes, I not only love my CIEM setup because of its sound but it makes me cool.  
etysmile.gif

If you get the JH3A setup you will be spending more than the DX100 setup because you will need a DAP and potentially a device to get you a digital output.  If you don't feed the digital input you won't be maximizing the performance of the JH3A.  My JH3A is for home use only.  I purchased a USB to S/PDIF converter and special cables to get the most of the JH3A.

May 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #140 of 164
I agree with you
I am planning (if i buy the 3a) to use the jh3a at home
the rest of the time, I will listen through the jh16 with an ipod touch (people say it is super efficient with ipods)
so you are saying that spdif is better than analog?
after searching through the forums and asking jerry harvey, it seems like the halide bridge is the best, most cost-efficient, and smallest cable out there.. (but thats another 400 dollars)
the music i listen to is 44.1hz and 16bit, which the analog input can handle.
I don't know if it still means that spdif is still better than analog.
DAMN ive gotta think this over...
btw i will never the dx100 :wink:
im sorry but that just does not match. I already have a 64gb ipod.
if the spdif is the best sound quality wise input, can anybody recommend A SINGLE CABLE that can connect from my macbook pro (1/8 inch or usb 2.0) to the jh3a spdif coaxial and also works with the iPOD (1/8in, LOD, or whatever else there is with  the 60 dollar apple ipod dock) to the jh3a spdif coaxial. Currently, there only seems to be the halide bridge  that is a single compact cable with pristine quality. BUt is there a cheaper and shorter option that still has uber quality sound?
BUT anyways thanks for the replies... I will be thinking about it more and announce what conclusions i come down to
thanks

May 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #141 of 164
i think I'm getting your argument now..
I decided not to go down the mini usb or spdif path for the jh3a.
Although it is not using the full potential of the amp, I just don't think I am that much of an audiophile to spend that much money
So now I am down to three options
1. I can buy the JH3a combo and just use an amazing 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (yes although it does not use the full potential) from audio quest to connect my iPod or macbook to the amp

(can somebody test this out? it does not have to be an audio quest cable, just any good 3.5mm to 3.5m cable with a jh16, jh3a, and iPod/pc)

2. I can buy the jh16 and pico slim (or any other awesome amp less than 500 that has superb synergy with the jh16). this is 300 dollars cheaper and lags a little bit in sound quality. Again I will be using the 3.5mm to 3.5mm from audio quest
(I want to know how this option fares against the first one. Since I am not using the full potential of the jh3a, I wonder if the 2nd option can be on part with the first one. If the first two options sound pretty much the same in terms of quality, I will choose this option since it is cheaper and more portable. Also HELP ME LOOK FOR AMPS less than 500 that is perfect for the jh16)

3. just a jh16. (I've heard many say that the jh16 sounds spectacular without an amp. If the hundreds of dollars for an amp is not worth the sound quality, then I will go with this option. Some have been telling me that although the amp is a 400 dollar upgrade, the sound upgrade is tiny because the jh16 sound spectacular with just an iPod. I don't know if this is true or not)

Please help :frowning2:
replies appreciated
thanks

P.S. can an ipod play 24bit music or 96hz music? Where do you guys even get those files...The best flacs I ever found were 16 bit 44.1hz. Ppl say that the hz does not matter and makes your processor slower. They say that the bit depth is important though like the bit rate. So where do you get 24bit music.does this 24bit or 96hz really sound better through the jh16? if it is not that big, I will go with flac and alac at 16bit 44.1hz because those are universal standards and anything higher is impossible to find...btw if the ipod or mac DOES NOT PLAY 24 bit music the you dont have to answer since i have no reason to get 24bit music. thanks

May 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #142 of 164
I like your third option to buy only the JH16.  See if you like it powered directly out of your iPod.  You will most likely try an external amplifier down the road but at the outset you will be happy in my opinion.

I'm not sure what formats an iPod can play.  If you were to use Rockbox that might change things up a bit. I quickly searched the web for help answering your question and I came up empty.  I will say that I have heard a 24/192 recordings created from the original tapes and the sound was incredible.  These recordings can be purchased from places like HD Tracks and Blue Coast Records.  I have read on different forums that people are not always pleased with the sound quality from their 24 bit recordings.  If my music listening was primarily done using 24 bit tracks I would use an external DAC opposed to the one built into a DAP.  I would also feed the S/PDIF input of the DAC opposed to a USB input.

If you can try hitting up a Head-fi meet you would be doing your self a service.  You should be able to test every piece of equipment your heart desires there.  I plan on going to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest again this year.  

May 31, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #143 of 164
Okie. so your saying that the third option is the best...
btw...are you an audiophile?
Im not trying to offend you...but because I am using a lot of money, I just want to make sure you know what you are saying :)
Now that I think about it I will probably buy an amp down the road...
BUT as soon as I login, I see this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612445/ultimate-ears-personal-reference-monitors-the-custom-custom-in-ear-monitor
they CUSTOM TUNE the SOUND SIGNATURE of your IEM?!??!
HOLY CRAP!!! That means you can have it ANY WAY YOU WANT!!!
Im also starting to fall for these...Damn this sucks, so many things I want.
Tell me what you think about it and post :)
here is the product link at logitech
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/devices/ue-personal-reference-monitors
unfortunately these only have five drivers per ear instead of the 8 per ear like the jh16
thanks for the reply

May 31, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #144 of 164
Quote:
Im not trying to offend you...but because I am using a lot of money, I just want to make sure you know what you are saying :)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612445/ultimate-ears-personal-reference-monitors-the-custom-custom-in-ear-monitor
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/devices/ue-personal-reference-monitors
unfortunately these only have five drivers per ear instead of the 8 per ear like the jh16
thanks for the reply

You should do more reading, it seems like you don't fully understand what you're buying/what you want. Spending $1000 on customs is a lot of money and I don't want you to be upset. The amount of drivers in a IEM has nothing to do with how good it sounds. Hell, I think Heir audio put 20 drivers into one ear piece a while back. 

May 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #145 of 164
yea. i just started this journey two months ago.
i am currently reading stuff like mad.
but what do you think about the new ultimate ears thang....

May 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #146 of 164
after reading reviews and forums for HOURS
i am finally leaning very heavily towards the jh16 + picoslim.
i agree that I am too early for jh3a since this is just my first product and i dont think i will actually hear the difference between the pico and the 3a.
and it is just outrageously expensive since i need to buy the halide bridge and a dac and more to actually put the 3a to use.
after reading this guys review, i learned that the jh16 sounds FANTASTIC without amps and the overall sound does not imrpove that much when adding amps.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569689/jerry-harvey-audio-jh16-review-8-drivers-of-fun
but i also felt that i was missing out in the game if i did not buy a decent small amp.
i think that the pico has fantastic synergy with the jh16 and is very portable and relatively cheap.
so what are the best LOD cables and 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables around?
is the ipod LOD really better than the 3.5mm jack?
i am starting to think this is the way to go.... i hope i will enjoy this
what do you guys think?
thanks

edit: also how is the e17 fiio with the jh16. everybody seems to love it and it is only 150. how would that compare with thepico?

May 31, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #147 of 164
Quote:
after reading reviews and forums for HOURS
i am finally leaning very heavily towards the jh16 + picoslim.
i agree that I am too early for jh3a since this is just my first product and i dont think i will actually hear the difference between the pico and the 3a.
and it is just outrageously expensive since i need to buy the halide bridge and a dac and more to actually put the 3a to use.
after reading this guys review, i learned that the jh16 sounds FANTASTIC without amps and the overall sound does not imrpove that much when adding amps.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569689/jerry-harvey-audio-jh16-review-8-drivers-of-fun
but i also felt that i was missing out in the game if i did not buy a decent small amp.
i think that the pico has fantastic synergy with the jh16 and is very portable and relatively cheap.
so what are the best LOD cables and 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables around?
is the ipod LOD really better than the 3.5mm jack?
i am starting to think this is the way to go.... i hope i will enjoy this
what do you guys think?
thanks

edit: also how is the e17 fiio with the jh16. everybody seems to love it and it is only 150. how would that compare with thepico?

I suggest getting something that isn't a custom for your very first purchase. Even though you have the kind of cash for customs you should take baby steps. If you buy a customs and you aren't happy with it, you'll lose a lot of money since the resale value of customs are the worst in the audiophile community. 

Reading reviews will give you a crazy in-depth look of the custom. However you have to remember that it's from the reviewers standpoint and extremely subjective. If haven't experienced a lower end earphone how will you know what to expect or what you want out of your next upgrade? If you don't think you can hear the difference between the pico and the 3A the same logic would apply to a top end universal rig and a top end custom right? 

But to answer your question, yes the line out of the ipod is wayyyyyy better than the 3.5mm.  

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #148 of 164
Quote:
thanks for the reply

I would not call myself an audiophile.  I love listening to music on my equipment but I don't use music as a pastime like others.  I'm like a AA baseball player with an occasional stint to AAA.  It will take me a while to make it to the major leagues.

The new PRM from Ultimate Ears is sweet.  The cost is $2,000 however and what if you after a few weeks you decide the tuning you chose isn't just right?  I love what they are doing but my guess is that's primarily for studio folks and the major leaguers.  

Where you from yjkimnada?  Maybe you can meet some Head-Fi'ers near you for a listen of their CIEMs.   

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #149 of 164
to peppito
well, i will take that into consideration
i have thought about that option for some time also

to tf1216
yeah i guess so. 2grand is just crazy
currently I am in DC but I will be moving to new york city this summer.
i am glad to hear that there are a lot of audio stuff in nyc :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back