JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #1,081 of 1,149
The Andromeda has recessed vocals though. The Andromeda S version has more forward mids, but I wouldn't even compare it to the hd6xx because the treble is also very bright (not in a bad way) and the hd6xx had somewhat rolled off treble.

I want very natural/organic sounding female and male vocals.. maybe even bordering on what treble lovers would call a dark presentation..

Hm...I never found the Andromeda vocals recessed. At least compared to some very V-shaped earphones. It definitely has a strong treble though which I like and find it a plus over the 6XX (I own one). Organic is a good way to describe the 6XX. Tbh, I think the open back aspect plays a huge aspect over earphones. It has nice vocals and a spacious feel to it.

Roxanne is one of my favourite earphones and definitely has some great male vocals and sounds great with rock but the female vocals and compatibility with other genres like pop is definitely lacking.

Actually, I would look into the Empire Ears ESR as well. It has great vocals like the 6XX but has a very effortless and natural feel to it like the 6XX. Maybe a tad bright also though.

Also, the JH Angie (some of the best vocals ever).

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #1,082 of 1,149
Hm...I never found the Andromeda vocals recessed. At least compared to some very V-shaped earphones. It definitely has a strong treble though which I like and find it a plus over the 6XX (I own one). Organic is a good way to describe the 6XX. Tbh, I think the open back aspect plays a huge aspect over earphones. It has nice vocals and a spacious feel to it.

Roxanne is one of my favourite earphones and definitely has some great male vocals and sounds great with rock but the female vocals and compatibility with other genres like pop is definitely lacking.

Actually, I would look into the Empire Ears ESR as well. It has great vocals like the 6XX but has a very effortless and natural feel to it like the 6XX. Maybe a tad bright also though.

Also, the JH Angie (some of the best vocals ever).

The way I gauge natural vocals are by matching what you'd hear someone in real life sound. Someone speaking to you will not have any extra airiness it sparkle, you know what I mean?

I actually have a pair of angies right now, but something with them doesn't sound quite right.. mostly with female vocals. It's hard to put my finger on it, though.

For this one IEM, I'm ok with them not working with any other genre but vocal and guitar heavy ones. Sad to hear that the Roxanne doesn't do so well with female vocals though. I'll look up the Zeus model that you mentioned. Thanks :)

Mar 23, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,083 of 1,149
The way I gauge natural vocals are by matching what you'd hear someone in real life sound. Someone speaking to you will not have any extra airiness it sparkle, you know what I mean?

I actually have a pair of angies right now, but something with them doesn't sound quite right.. mostly with female vocals. It's hard to put my finger on it, though.

For this one IEM, I'm ok with them not working with any other genre but vocal and guitar heavy ones. Sad to hear that the Roxanne doesn't do so well with female vocals though. I'll look up the Zeus model that you mentioned. Thanks :)
I actually really like female vocals on the Roxanne. I'm now listening to 'I wanna be sedated' by Mirel Wagner and her voice sounds very lifelike as if she were softly singing into my ears. I can see how the tuning of Roxanne puts a bit more emphasis on the frequency range where male vocals reside, but to my ears that doesn't change the realism or presence of female vocals very significantly.

I've owned a pair of HD650 and I found it very boring sounding, meaning that it didn't move me emotionally. I'm a music lover first and foremost and Roxanne moves me, it has a very unique sound character, big and organic. I've been listening to my custom pair of Roxannes daily which I purchased end of 2015. I'm not fluent in audiophile language, but what sticks with me every time is how realistic and lifelike it sounds. Definitely demo her if you get the chance to.

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #1,084 of 1,149
I actually really like female vocals on the Roxanne. I'm now listening to 'I wanna be sedated' by Mirel Wagner and her voice sounds very lifelike as if she were softly singing into my ears. I can see how the tuning of Roxanne puts a bit more emphasis on the frequency range where male vocals reside, but to my ears that doesn't change the realism or presence of female vocals very significantly.

I've owned a pair of HD650 and I found it very boring sounding, meaning that it didn't move me emotionally. I'm a music lover first and foremost and Roxanne moves me, it has a very unique sound character, big and organic. I've been listening to my custom pair of Roxannes daily which I purchased end of 2015. I'm not fluent in audiophile language, but what sticks with me every time is how realistic and lifelike it sounds. Definitely demo her if you get the chance to.
Wow thank you! I really appreciate the thought you put into that :). Have you ever heard the Angie? I'm curious how they compare directly. There aren't many comparisons to be found.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #1,085 of 1,149
Wow thank you! I really appreciate the thought you put into that :). Have you ever heard the Angie? I'm curious how they compare directly. There aren't many comparisons to be found.
You're welcome, I hope you get a chance to listen to Roxanne yourself and see how you like it. I have never heard Angie before, so I can't make a comparison.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,086 of 1,149
long time custom angie user here, ive been thinking about getting a pair of roxanne performance for a while now since my tinnitus have made angie's treble fairly unpleasant to listen to and roxanne seems to have a reputation of being darker, can someone please chime in on the treble differences between these two models especially driven by portable sources like wm1a? i have read through the thread and it seems people have split opinions on roxy's treble, any inputs are appreciated.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #1,087 of 1,149
Roxanne rolls off around the 8000hz range...I like a sparkly, energetic, airy treble, Roxanne is a darker treble. It is still quite detailed but stock it isn’t very prominent. I only heard the Angie briefly and it was a universal, but it will def be perceived as less.

long time custom angie user here, ive been thinking about getting a pair of roxanne performance for a while now since my tinnitus have made angie's treble fairly unpleasant to listen to and roxanne seems to have a reputation of being darker, can someone please chime in on the treble differences between these two models especially driven by portable sources like wm1a? i have read through the thread and it seems people have split opinions on roxy's treble, any inputs are appreciated.

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,088 of 1,149

Owned both and the Roxanne is much darker the Angie and most IEMs in general.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #1,089 of 1,149
rolls off around the 8000hz range
Thanks for the input, my ears seem to be quite sensitive to 7-10k Hz so rolling off at around 8k might just work in my favor

Owned both and the Roxanne is much darker the Angie and most IEMs in general.
Thank you, im assuming your signature is up to date would you say roxanne is darker than campfire orion ? i demo'd orion a while back and personally own andromeda they both trip my tinnitus a bit although orion's treble was significantly more tolerable

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,090 of 1,149
Reminds me on LCD-2, LCD-3... if you’ve heard those

Thanks for the input, my ears seem to be quite sensitive to 7-10k Hz so rolling off at around 8k might just work in my favor

Thank you, im assuming your signature is up to date would you say roxanne is darker than campfire orion ? i demo'd orion a while back and personally own andromeda

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #1,092 of 1,149
It's almost a crime there isn't more activity on this thread. Still loving my roxanne's 4 months into owning them. Probably about the longest I have kept a pair of IEM's (loved my Atlas). Posted some impressions in the Lola thread just now. Still on the original Comply Large foam tips and plan on getting more of them (isolation version).

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #1,093 of 1,149

Thank you, im assuming your signature is up to date would you say roxanne is darker than campfire orion ? i demo'd orion a while back and personally own andromeda they both trip my tinnitus a bit although orion's treble was significantly more tolerable

If you had an issue with tinnitus in the past, the roxanne's may be a good bet for you. I suffered tinnitus from the U12's (had never had it before either) and returned them after 3 days for the Roxanne's and haven't looked back.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #1,094 of 1,149
I still have my Roxanne, it was the upgrade to my JH16. Roxanne received mixed reviews, but it’s my favorite ciem of all time.

It's almost a crime there isn't more activity on this thread. Still loving my roxanne's 4 months into owning them. Probably about the longest I have kept a pair of IEM's (loved my Atlas). Posted some impressions in the Lola thread just now. Still on the original Comply Large foam tips and plan on getting more of them (isolation version).

Jun 22, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #1,095 of 1,149
If anyone is looking to get into the Roxanne's, I am selling mine. Trying to clear some space for something in the next price bracket by selling a few other pairs. PM me if interested - I have a listing on the for sale thread.

I do really like the sound out of them, just moving along into the bottomless void of the IEM world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back