JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,052 of 1,149
Just received my custom Roxanne today (acrylic shells), but I did not get a custom molded carbon fiber cable wrapper (sorry, don't know what it's called exactly). All I got was the custom case with my name, but my Roxannes were just inside a black pouch. Can anyone tell me if JH screwed up, or if they had changed the it to just a pouch. Thanks guys.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,053 of 1,149
Just received my custom Roxanne today (acrylic shells), but I did not get a custom molded carbon fiber cable wrapper (sorry, don't know what it's called exactly). All I got was the custom case with my name, but my Roxannes were just inside a black pouch. Can anyone tell me if JH screwed up, or if they had changed the it to just a pouch. Thanks guys.
Hi,
I just recently got my Roxanne, maybe a month ago at most and I got the Full Carbon Fiber Shell and Faceplate but like you there was no reversed mold thingy like they used to do, I just assumed they stopped doing that. Also did you notice that the carbon fiber case used to be a very high gloss? Mine is not the really high gloss, I would have preferred that but I noticed the duller unit in some of the videos I have seen recently, I guess this is the new way.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #1,054 of 1,149
Hi,
I just recently got my Roxanne, maybe a month ago at most and I got the Full Carbon Fiber Shell and Faceplate but like you there was no reversed mold thingy like they used to do, I just assumed they stopped doing that. Also did you notice that the carbon fiber case used to be a very high gloss? Mine is not the really high gloss, I would have preferred that but I noticed the duller unit in some of the videos I have seen recently, I guess this is the new way.

I too was wondering if they have stopped doing the carbon mold thingy, but I definitely think that sucks. I emailed JH earlier about it and I will see what's their response and let you know. As for the gloss, I don't mind them either way in terms of looks. However, I wonder if they used to be high gloss because there is a coating there to protect the logos, etc. I hope they do not get scratched off easily now.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #1,055 of 1,149
Can any kind soul tell me if using the roxanne, the following tracks appear to have harsh/sibilant vocals?

Esben and the witch - When That Head Splits;
Japanese Breakfast - In Heaven;
Morcheeba - the sea.

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #1,056 of 1,149
Can any kind soul tell me if using the roxanne, the following tracks appear to have harsh/sibilant vocals?

Esben and the witch - When That Head Splits;
Japanese Breakfast - In Heaven;
Morcheeba - the sea.
Hi,

Just got my Roxanne II - Universal version a few days ago. Tried your tracks above and found no sibilance so far, but I can see how these songs can certainly be sibilant quite easily. I mean it’s in the recording but the Roxanne’s do not make it unpleasant. I tried with more treble spikey in ears and yep, these songs can be very sibilant on some gear.

I really love these Roxanne’s and wonder why there is not more activity in this thread, they are amazing. Maybe the full metal jacket makes them a bit big and ugly but hey, I take it for the sound quality.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,057 of 1,149
Hi,

Just got my Roxanne II - Universal version a few days ago. Tried your tracks above and found no sibilance so far, but I can see how these songs can certainly be sibilant quite easily. I mean it’s in the recording but the Roxanne’s do not make it unpleasant. I tried with more treble spikey in ears and yep, these songs can be very sibilant on some gear.

I really love these Roxanne’s and wonder why there is not more activity in this thread, they are amazing. Maybe the full metal jacket makes them a bit big and ugly but hey, I take it for the sound quality.

Its good, but compared to the others out there now, they are better than the Roxannes.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,058 of 1,149
Its good, but compared to the others out there now, they are better than the Roxannes.

Fair enough - I have purchased them used and only paid around $650 - so for me this is rather a brilliant deal.

Cheers.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #1,059 of 1,149
Hi,

I’d say the Roxanne, although it sounds great, is extremely pricey.

If it was around $1100, it’d get a lot more activity.

Still the best bass detail and extension I’ve ever heard. Shame I had to sell mine because the FMJ version was so heavy. If they could make it 50% lighter, you’d be I’d keep it forever. It’s so perfect for rock.

On the side note, the description is perfect :) Once you’ve heard it, you never really forget it. It becomes a standard of sorts in your mind.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,060 of 1,149
Ordered my CIEM Roxanne's today. Pairing with an AK SR15 via Balanced Cable,

Met the rep (wonderful chap Paul) from CIEM's UK who let me try universal JH13's, Lola and Roxanne as well as UE18Pro+

I wanted the JH13v2's to be enough, but as soon as i plugged in the Roxanne's the 13's were blown out of the running, may as well have been apple earbuds.

The UE 18 was close though and it was a tough call, the Roxanne just edged it, soundstage wise and the vocals just shone.

Test tracks were...

Alison Krauss - Live - Everytime we say goodbye (paying attention to Jerry Douglas' Slide guitar sound)
Norah Jones - Turn me on
Haim - Want You Back
Lukas Nelson and Promise of The Real - Fool Me Once
Ali Farka Toure - Ai Du
Bradley Cooper - Maybe It's Time
Rhiannon Giddens - Waterboy
Oasis - She's Electric
Greta Van Fleet - Black Smoke Rises

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #1,061 of 1,149
Roxanne is something special. I still haven’t forgotten about it despite all the IEMs and headphones I’ve tried since then. The bass response, detail and texture of it is unreal. Easily the best IEM for rock and male vocals by far.

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #1,063 of 1,149

such as? i mean which iems within its price are able to better its lower mids density and bass, one that’s paired with a laidback treble? (no sparkly, overly airy, hyperdetailed top end pls)

Considering how uncomfortable they are physically for me, i for one, would appreciate a similarily priced universal that matches or betters the roxys at what they do!

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,064 of 1,149
such as? i mean which iems within its price are able to better its lower mids density and bass, one that’s paired with a laidback treble? (no sparkly, overly airy, hyperdetailed top end pls)

Considering how uncomfortable they are physically for me, i for one, would appreciate a similarily priced universal that matches or betters the roxys at what they do!

I don't mean to be an ass - I still have my CF Roxannes with me. But literally anything else at the Roxanne's price point is better than the Roxanne.

The Aether may not be what you're looking for based on your description above above, but it sounds miles better than the Roxanne,
The UE18 for less money than a Roxanne sounds much better than the Roxannes to.
IMHO even a UE7 sounds better to me than a Roxanne.
Much cheaper Jomo's sound better than the Roxys
There are too many for me to list but the Roxys just simly cannot compare to the IEMs that we have out in the market now - and for cheaper.
And please, before anyone goes off the rails about me hating these, I still keep mine (CF Roxys) till today.

The Roxanne to me just has too many peaks and troughs in its frequency response and tuning. The FR to me is too uneven and its hard to listen to.
Back in 2014, yeah it was damn awesome where every IEM had at least one major flaw in them and in terms of their FR and tuning. But the game has REALLY changed since.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,065 of 1,149
I don't mean to be an ass - I still have my CF Roxannes with me. But literally anything else at the Roxanne's price point is better than the Roxanne.

The Aether may not be what you're looking for based on your description above above, but it sounds miles better than the Roxanne,
The UE18 for less money than a Roxanne sounds much better than the Roxannes to.
IMHO even a UE7 sounds better to me than a Roxanne.
Much cheaper Jomo's sound better than the Roxys
There are too many for me to list but the Roxys just simly cannot compare to the IEMs that we have out in the market now - and for cheaper.
And please, before anyone goes off the rails about me hating these, I still keep mine (CF Roxys) till today.

The Roxanne to me just has too many peaks and troughs in its frequency response and tuning. The FR to me is too uneven and its hard to listen to.
Back in 2014, yeah it was damn awesome where every IEM had at least one major flaw in them and in terms of their FR and tuning. But the game has REALLY changed since.

lol, not off the rails at all, i meant it when i said i am looking for an alternative. I dont like the fit at all. but i have yet to hear a universal, at least, that does what it does right but within the budget. VE8 has the same sense of scale/density/energy but it’s more expensive and not universal.

Lime Ears Aether is too etheral and thin to me. UE18 to go, too flat ime. UE7 ciem only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back