JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #781 of 1,149
Strange that spending 20k on a car is seen as sensible. Spending a tenth of that on headphones is seen as crazy. Good music gets you a lot further than a car! :)

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #782 of 1,149
  Finally, got my Fed Ex notification, they should be here Wed!

Congrats, mate. You should be getting yours anytime now.

I think I'm still going to have to wait for at least 2 more months before I get my hands on my Roxannes. Placed my order at the end of September.. think I may get them before the year is over? 
redface.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #783 of 1,149
It took exactly 2 months from the time they received my impressions to the time I got them

Congrats, mate. You should be getting yours anytime now.

I think I'm still going to have to wait for at least 2 more months before I get my hands on my Roxannes. Placed my order at the end of September.. think I may get them before the year is over? :xf_eek:

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #784 of 1,149
I got mine yesterday and have been burning in. Love the sound signature so far. Its very SE846 in a way at 12 o clock and below are a few key points between SE846 (white filter with Westone foam fit) and Roxanne (custom)

1) SE846 has a huskier and louder vocal while Roxanne has a smoother and softer vocal, this is by no means V shape, Roxanne is far from it. The SE846 has perhaps the best vocal I have heard in universal. Its very hard to beat. Some people do find it harsh but for me it works very well with vocal jazz if you want to hear the breath in between the voice which is very crucial in conveying the emotions needed for that song, the SE846 is going to deliver that in spades. The Roxanne make the vocal sound much smoother, I suspect alot of people would prefer the Roxanne smooth audiophile quality than the SE846 "raw vocal power". I still prefer the SE846 in its vocal clarity raw and dirty-- as is condition. The ROX is about the 2nd best in that regards.

2) The Roxanne has a more mid bass focus while SE846 has a more sub bass focus. Both sound very similar. I tend to tune down  to 12 o'clock to match the SE846 bass, I do lose some sub bass while doing that & I do gain some mid bass which actually sounded slightly more bass than SE846. When it comes to deep bass rumble, the SE846 stands proud, to match the SE846 Sub bass, the Rox needs to tune up to 2 o clock but then the mid bass would starts to cover the sub bass and starts to sound warmer than I would like, it starts to resemble UE18 pro. I tend to stay at 12 o'clock to maintain its sparkly and lively sound, similar to SE846. There is one thing that the ROX did better than SE846 bass and it's the slam and beat of the bass. The SE846 is pretty mellow in that regard maybe due to its sub bass focus.

3) The Treble for both is about the same with Rox at 12 o'clock. Anything less than 9 o'clock, the Rox starts to display spike in the treble region. It sounded surgically sparkly at 8 o'clock, with precision that could cuts my drums very clean. Its a good thing because we have a whole range of treble to play with. I really admire the talent from Jerry. A customize control on how you want your music sound. 

4) The fit is very good on my 1st try. Of course, it fits only when I apply Oto ease lub, I call that the magic lub. From poor fit that beak the seal when yawning to perfect seal with just a little lub. Always easy in & easy out, great seal, could wear all day long. If anyone have a fit problem, try the Oto Ease first before sending back.  Also I always press it inward after I twist it in. It just sit perfectly. I could feel the vacuum. I also test by rubbing my fingers next to my ear, if I could hear it, its not good. A good seal completely block the sound of rubbing fingers at 100%. 

5) The cable is pretty good with very little microphonic. I was concern that it would be noisy like the Litz silver cable or ALO TG334 cable where I can hear whipping sound all the time. Its pretty quiet with this "black rope" cable. Its as quiet as Whiplash TWau ref cable. I love it. 

6) Sound stage is pretty deep & wide, its on par with UE18 Pro. It may be slightly deeper than SE846 but about the same width which I suspect one being the custom fit.. and the other universal... I am not sure. Overall, this is what I would expect from a top of the line Custom.

Overall I love the sound. I suspect I will keep this custom IEM for a very long time and make it a classic simply for its ability to shape the bass and treble with the way I want it. If there is one con about the Rox is I wish it was much cheaper, other than that, I am very satisfied with its sound signature and design. For me, the Rox is about the best IEM I have heard beside the SE846. They both share the same spot for me with the Rox slightly above the SE846 due to its ability to custom shape the sound. I have not compared with the customs silicon sleeves of SE846 yet, which I may do so when I find more time. Base on memory, the Custom SE846 is going to sound more like 4 o'clock on Rox. These 2 IEMS share a similar sound signature. I don't think anyone can go terrible wrong with either one.

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #785 of 1,149
Desktop Amps :
Source : AK 100 Gold Edition
AK 240
Desktop Amps : CREEK OBH 21 mk 2
Mass Ko Bo 394
CIEM : JH Roxanne Carbon Fiber
Cable :
Alo Copper RCA to mini
DHC TRRS balance to 3 PIN balance
AK 100 Gold + CREEK OBH 21 mk 2 > JH Roxanne Carbon Fiber : very Good
AK 240 + Mass Ko Bo 394 > JH Roxanne Carbon Fiber : excellent sound quality , The Best sounding JH Roxanne Carbon Fiber i Ever heard pair With AK 240

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #786 of 1,149
  I got mine yesterday and have been burning in. Love the sound signature so far. Its very SE846 in a way at 12 o clock and below are a few key points between SE846 (white filter with Westone foam fit) and Roxanne (custom)

1) SE846 has a huskier and louder vocal while Roxanne has a smoother and softer vocal, this is by no means V shape, Roxanne is far from it. The SE846 has perhaps the best vocal I have heard in universal. Its very hard to beat. Some people do find it harsh but for me it works very well with vocal jazz if you want to hear the breath in between the voice which is very crucial in conveying the emotions needed for that song, the SE846 is going to deliver that in spades. The Roxanne make the vocal sound much smoother, I suspect alot of people would prefer the Roxanne smooth audiophile quality than the SE846 "raw vocal power". I still prefer the SE846 in its vocal clarity raw and dirty-- as is condition. The ROX is about the 2nd best in that regards.

2) The Roxanne has a more mid bass focus while SE846 has a more sub bass focus. Both sound very similar. I tend to tune down  to 12 o'clock to match the SE846 bass, I do lose some sub bass while doing that & I do gain some mid bass which actually sounded slightly more bass than SE846. When it comes to deep bass rumble, the SE846 stands proud, to match the SE846 Sub bass, the Rox needs to tune up to 2 o clock but then the mid bass would starts to cover the sub bass and starts to sound warmer than I would like, it starts to resemble UE18 pro. I tend to stay at 12 o'clock to maintain its sparkly and lively sound, similar to SE846. There is one thing that the ROX did better than SE846 bass and it's the slam and beat of the bass. The SE846 is pretty mellow in that regard maybe due to its sub bass focus.

3) The Treble for both is about the same with Rox at 12 o'clock. Anything less than 9 o'clock, the Rox starts to display spike in the treble region. It sounded surgically sparkly at 8 o'clock, with precision that could cuts my drums very clean. Its a good thing because we have a whole range of treble to play with. I really admire the talent from Jerry. A customize control on how you want your music sound. 

4) The fit is very good on my 1st try. Of course, it fits only when I apply Oto ease lub, I call that the magic lub. From poor fit that beak the seal when yawning to perfect seal with just a little lub. Always easy in & easy out, great seal, could wear all day long. If anyone have a fit problem, try the Oto Ease first before sending back.  Also I always press it inward after I twist it in. It just sit perfectly. I could feel the vacuum. I also test by rubbing my fingers next to my ear, if I could hear it, its not good. A good seal completely block the sound of rubbing fingers at 100%. 

5) The cable is pretty good with very little microphonic. I was concern that it would be noisy like the Litz silver cable or ALO TG334 cable where I can hear whipping sound all the time. Its pretty quiet with this "black rope" cable. Its as quiet as Whiplash TWau ref cable. I love it. 

6) Sound stage is pretty deep & wide, its on par with UE18 Pro. It may be slightly deeper than SE846 but about the same width which I suspect one being the custom fit.. and the other universal... I am not sure. Overall, this is what I would expect from a top of the line Custom.

Overall I love the sound. I suspect I will keep this custom IEM for a very long time and make it a classic simply for its ability to shape the bass and treble with the way I want it. If there is one con about the Rox is I wish it was much cheaper, other than that, I am very satisfied with its sound signature and design. For me, the Rox is about the best IEM I have heard beside the SE846. They both share the same spot for me with the Rox slightly above the SE846 due to its ability to custom shape the sound. I have not compared with the customs silicon sleeves of SE846 yet, which I may do so when I find more time. Base on memory, the Custom SE846 is going to sound more like 4 o'clock on Rox. These 2 IEMS share a similar sound signature. I don't think anyone can go terrible wrong with either one.

I have to say...overall I feel the same way about the Roxanne and 846 comparison you wrote! Although ever since receiving the Rox, the 846 (and the UM Mentor) has gotten near 0% usage...ehh, almost makes me want to sell the others. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #787 of 1,149
My greatest nightmare came true, the Roxannes got delivered to the wrong address and someone signed for them.  I contacted Fed Ex and they are going to follow up with the driver and hopefully get them back tomorrow.  I am beyond pissed off.  They said if we can't get the package back we'll refund you the money.  Ugh, I don't want to wait another 2 months to get these again.  

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #788 of 1,149
My greatest nightmare came true, the Roxannes got delivered to the wrong address and someone signed for them.  I contacted Fed Ex and they are going to follow up with the driver and hopefully get them back tomorrow.  I am beyond pissed off.  They said if we can't get the package back we'll refund you the money.  Ugh, I don't want to wait another 2 months to get these again.  
What!!for sure the one who received it will open it now.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #789 of 1,149
Oct 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #790 of 1,149

That's just awful. I hope Fed Ex is able to recover the package for you. Having to wait another 2 months actually costs a lot, even if it's an intangible amount. Good luck!

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #791 of 1,149

Very Nice review Audiowood
My opinion more or less like Your
I prefer The bass from JH Roxanne Carbon Fiber at 8 - 9 o clock , 9 o clock = 0.00 dB
Because i like clarity and detail
I have now 2 Roxanne , One Carbon Fiber Roxanne and The latest universal AKR 03 Roxanne special Tune to AK DAPs
These 2 Roxanne sound quality almost at the same tuning
I Had before JH Roxanne and i sold It In 2 weeks Time , because The SQ is Slightly not The same like these 2 Roxannes
IMO

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #792 of 1,149

I am so sorry to hear Your Roxanne
How come Fed Ex so big company delivered to wrong person ? It is unbelievable case
I Hope you got It back , waiting is unhappy
Like My case i am waiting about 10 Month to get My JH Roxanne Carbon Fiber , if My JH Roxanne get Lost like Your case .
I Think i am speechless For waiting another 10 Months :D

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #793 of 1,149

I have to say...overall I feel the same way about the Roxanne and 846 comparison you wrote! Although ever since receiving the Rox, the 846 (and the UM Mentor) has gotten near 0% usage...ehh, almost makes me want to sell the others. 

I have the same feelings as you and ever since I have the Rox, I am planning to sell some of my other gear which I hold in high regards. The Rox is able to satisfied my urge for a diff sound signature with a twist of a screw from 12 to 9... I get a new IEM sound signature for a diff mood. I may be keeping only SE846 just for the sake of having a universal IEM as back up. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #794 of 1,149
Very Nice review Audiowood
My opinion more or less like Your
I prefer The bass from JH Roxanne Carbon Fiber at 8 - 9 o clock , 9 o clock = 0.00 dB
Because i like clarity and detail
I have now 2 Roxanne , One Carbon Fiber Roxanne and The latest universal AKR 03 Roxanne special Tune to AK DAPs
These 2 Roxanne sound quality almost at the same tuning
I Had before JH Roxanne and i sold It In 2 weeks Time , because The SQ is Slightly not The same like these 2 Roxannes
IMO

Thanks & you are welcome Rudi!

Its really interesting that the universal signature is slightly diff from Customs which I have always suspect that to be so.  Its the same for UE18 Pro Demo vs custom, the rep say they sound the same, but when I got the custom version, I am surprise that the signature is not entirely the same. So base on this personal experience, I decided to go customs just to be safe and am happy now. 

I also tune down to 9 o'clock to sharpen the sound for certain tracks... The Rox is so versatile, tuning without adjusting the EQ

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #795 of 1,149

Arhhh... sorry to hear that, I feel ya...  I hope they can retrieve the box back to you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back