JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #751 of 1,149
If you want a thumping bass, DD IEM is the way to go. The only BA driver IEM that can even match a thumping bass of my DD IEM is my 1964 V6S. Even the roxanne lost in just pure thump and rumble to my V6S (with bass knob at 2 o'clock in my roxanne). I haven't tried the Shure SE846 as I've heard that it has a very good bass, but even if it has, again I probably won't ever use it to work out (I sweat a lot when I work out). Unless, you are rich then this argument is not applicable. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #753 of 1,149
Umm if it is a hybrid lol. Meaning they use BA driver for high and mid freq while using DD for the low freq. 

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #755 of 1,149
If you want a thumping bass, DD IEM is the way to go. The only BA driver IEM that can even match a thumping bass of my DD IEM is my 1964 V6S. Even the roxanne lost in just pure thump and rumble to my V6S (with bass knob at 2 o'clock in my roxanne). I haven't tried the Shure SE846 as I've heard that it has a very good bass, but even if it has, again I probably won't ever use it to work out (I sweat a lot when I work out). Unless, you are rich then this argument is not applicable. 

finally got my Rhines Customs Stage 5
not only the 1964 can match the bass of a dd iem.

the stage 5 is a 5 ba driver, but the drivers of these are not the small ones if im not mistaken it is as huge like the double woofers of the fitear 335

i have ABed these with the rox already and the difference is huge in power.
both have deep sub but the stage 5 has more presence on the bass. from low mid to mid roxanne is thicker, warmer but on the high mids the stage 5 has more gain or level up to the highs.. the stage 5`s ins separation and extension of the highs are very very impressive.. this is the first time a BA has satisfied me on the bass ..

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #756 of 1,149

I tried the Shure SE846 and it wasn't nearly as bassy as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, very solid and quality bass, but not that far from neutral in quantity. For comparison, the Westone UM Pro 30 is much bassier.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #757 of 1,149

I tried the Shure SE846 and it wasn't nearly as bassy as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, very solid and quality bass, but not that far from neutral in quantity. For comparison, the Westone UM Pro 30 is much bassier.

eek.gif
For me SE846 is a basshead iem 
basshead.gif
, I tried all the filters.

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #759 of 1,149
  At this point in my impressions with life with both the 846 and roxanne, I have to say I much prefer the Roxanne atm. 

I should actually revise my prior statement. I prefer it to all my IEMs at the moment. The Mentor, 846, ASG2, IE80...as well as my full-sized collection...also as well as everything else I've used in the past 3 years. I'm at a happy point in my headphone life. 

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #761 of 1,149
With the pots controlling quadruple bass drivers with high sensitivity, even with a less than decent source the Roxannes should be able to deliver everything from a "flat" (0db bass bump on the bass) through neutral (bumped slightly to compensate for missing bone / chest transmission) ....up to frankly silly levels. That's what I'm experiencing anyway.

As for bass delivery, fit makes a massive difference. Mine are at 1'o clock, but as with other IEMs small changes to the angle and fit of the earpieces make big difference to the bass output.

Another thing, when some people refer to "thumping bass" what people are actually after is not clean sounding sub bass, but a slight warming or even distorting of the sound. See above to know why that's difficult to achieve such an effect on the Roxannes, unless you're willing to blow out your eardrums first (!)

I do think that the Shures are very interesting with their mechanical LP filter on the sub, but having listened to them I (personally?) couldn't really hear the difference - not that there isn't one.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #762 of 1,149
Anyone see the info on the cables Double Helix is making for the Roxanne?  This is from their FB page..

Roxanne cables are coming soon, for reals. I know everyone wants one. Assuming JH is cool with it, there will be 3 or more possible configurations. These ideas will be copied, but you'll see them here first. We'll show photos once it's approved. 

1) Fixed bass model. Audiophile resistors are hidden inside the AK240 or 3.5mm or whatever plug. These resistors will never wear out, are the best signal quality, and are exactly matched to one another for consistent bass levels. You can pick 0/25/50/75/100 ohms for the amount of bass. The stock cable goes 0 to 100 ohm, reducing the bass variably. 50 ohms is a good amount of bass.

2) Bass module model. We are using a new, highly durable bass controller, rated for 5000 uses - it will not wear out anytime soon, so use it all you want. It will offer 0 to 100 ohm bass adjustment similar to the stock cable. It will be mounted in a small enclosure which will have an integrated Astell & Kern 2.5mm or 3.5mm plug on it. Just plug the bass enclosure directly into your gear and adjust the dials on it. If you don't want the 2.5mm/3.5mm output jack on the bass module itself, we can of course place the bass module as far up the cable as you'd like. 

3) Modular model. Takes the bass module concept one step further. Instead of a plug on the bass module, there is a 2.5mm female balanced jack. This allows you to connect short (or longer, to extend your cable - the options are limitless) balanced or single ended interconnects for 2.5mm to 3.5mm/2.5mm/Kobiconn RSA&ALO/Hifiman/4-pin XLR or anything else. This is the ultimate in connectivity for your Roxanne - You can connect it to anything from a dual 3 pin XLR amp to a small 3.5mm-2.5mm coupler to plug it straight into your iPhone. 

The bass module is currently a slim 1.4" square box. It's a little bigger than it could be, but with AK240 plus the bass module cable plugged in, it works great in your pocket, bag, or on a tabletop. And we may well be able to get the size down between now and the ship date... If you want the most ergonomic, uncompromising, and simple Roxanne cable ever, opt for the fixed bass model - ergonomically it appears identical to a DHC Symbiote Fusion or Symbiote SP 6-wire, but with the Roxanne plugs on it. From now until release we will work in maximizing the ergonomics of the bass module model. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #764 of 1,149
Man, I love these things.  Been listenening to them probably on average 4 hrs per day since March.

I only listen to headphones while working, and I find myself actually looking forward to work just so I can snap them in my ears. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #765 of 1,149
Man, I love these things.  Been listenening to them probably on average 4 hrs per day since March.

I only listen to headphones while working, and I find myself actually looking forward to work just so I can snap them in my ears. 

A lucky man. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back