JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #797 of 2,420

I'm thinking of going that way.  Really curious how you would describe the improved SQ . . . massive, excellent, very good, good, above average, average, so so, eh.   ???

Here are my thoughts on SQ:

Bass - sounds tighter and more accurate so I dialed up from 10:30 to 12 to increase bass quantity. May even crank this up more.
Mids - biggest difference was mids, as noted it was a bit dark sounding before and now very clear.
Treble - here I can be more specific. I think the increase in treble is 1-2 dB in the 4K and up range from just the cable. This is based on where I had EQ set before and now I don't need EQ at all. My recent FW upgrade of my RWAK240 helped a little bit on this as well.

Keep in mind that the improvements in mids and bass also had a lot to do with changing from foam tips to Spinfits. Unfortunately, I can't A/B with the foams because I can no longer get a tight seal with the same foam tips due to the change in ear hook design. However, I will say that given how fit is so important to the Laylas, the fixed ear hook design is far superior to the bendable wires imho. The Laylas are much more secure in my ears and I can move my head to the extremes and they don't move or change sound. Back with the foams, if I bend my neck too far looking down, treble starts getting muted. I think this is an important part of deciding on upgrading the cable.

One tip I can share is to consider a longer length of the y split. This is a heavy cable and you may want to clip it to your shirt to help with the weight and a longer y split length would be more comfortable. I personally don't walk around with my portable setup so not really an issue for me.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #798 of 2,420
One tip I can share is to consider a longer length of the y split. This is a heavy cable and you may want to clip it to your shirt to help with the weight and a longer y split length would be more comfortable. I personally don't walk around with my portable setup so not really an issue for me.
Can you try wandering around? - I exclusively use my Laylas out and about to take me away from the world, and it would be a real detriment if I had to continually readjust...

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #799 of 2,420
Can you try wandering around? - I exclusively use my Laylas out and about to take me away from the world, and it would be a real detriment if I had to continually readjust...

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I took about a mile walk outside and no problems and quite comfortable. I also ran up and down my stairs a couple times and no issues either. The new cable is more stiff than stock, but I just weighed both and stock is 27 g and Plussound is 29 g. I think the stiffness made it feel more heavier than it actually is.

I think you are also using Spinfits so you should be fine. If you decide to go with Plussound, I would just email Christian for exact details of length and y split options (especially if you wear collared shirts and run cables under the collar). I sent him photos of the stock cable memory wires on my ear and with a ruler showing the curve and dimensions.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #800 of 2,420
After months of listening to Layla exclusively when I am on the go, I switched back to my custom K10 which has obviously lost love - and I find that I actually prefer the K10 for vocal, both male and female. Not until I listened to the K10 again did I notice that the mid range recession was so prevalent on the Layla. The K10 was straight out from an iPhone while my Layla shared its time equally between AK240 and iPhone. This is my perception only and may change again over time. I will give K10 some more time before I switch back to Layla - once I do I may actually like Layla again, for its details, separation of instruments and whatnot.

Once again this shows that there is no single IEM that is perfect, not even the Layla which is almost twice the price of my K10. But if there is somebody out there seeing this, a pair of IEMs with details of the Layla, mid range of the K10 and the bass of SE846 should be almost perfect for me.    

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #801 of 2,420
Unfortunately there's no perfect earphone to satisfy us. However you are right in saying that you may like your Layla again once you had enough of K10. And back and forth between the two.

Before the Layla, my two favourite ciems were the Roxanne and the FitEar 334.and they have different sound. signatures. After Using Roxanne for sometimes, you love it due to its sheer musicality until you switch to Roxanne, then you would just be amazed by the much bigger sound stage and the clear instrument separation. The same thing will happen again when you go back to my Fitear and you suddenly realises that the Roxanne was somewhat harsh. Sometimes, it's our psychology and our adaptability to a certain kind of sound. Our perception do change as we use a new clem. We first adapt to get used to it and then we gradually look for a different sound signature again.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #803 of 2,420
One thing I do notice - the K10 scales well with the AK240 while the Layla does not seem to benefit as much from the AK. That was the reason I bought AK240 in the first place. I have auditioned the AK380 a lot with the Layla lately, and that's why I am totally lost with how it is priced, because the differences among iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, AK240 and AK380 on the Layla are so minute that one can hardly pinpoint what aspects the AKs have improved upon the Layla, if at all. Perhaps I should try it with my K10.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #808 of 2,420

I'm thinking of going that way.  Really curious how you would describe the improved SQ . . . massive, excellent, very good, good, above average, average, so so, eh.   ???

Here are my thoughts on SQ:

Bass - sounds tighter and more accurate so I dialed up from 10:30 to 12 to increase bass quantity. May even crank this up more.
Mids - biggest difference was mids, as noted it was a bit dark sounding before and now very clear.
Treble - here I can be more specific. I think the increase in treble is 1-2 dB in the 4K and up range from just the cable. This is based on where I had EQ set before and now I don't need EQ at all. My recent FW upgrade of my RWAK240 helped a little bit on this as well.

Keep in mind that the improvements in mids and bass also had a lot to do with changing from foam tips to Spinfits. Unfortunately, I can't A/B with the foams because I can no longer get a tight seal with the same foam tips due to the change in ear hook design. However, I will say that given how fit is so important to the Laylas, the fixed ear hook design is far superior to the bendable wires imho. The Laylas are much more secure in my ears and I can move my head to the extremes and they don't move or change sound. Back with the foams, if I bend my neck too far looking down, treble starts getting muted. I think this is an important part of deciding on upgrading the cable.

Thanks for posting your experience with Plusound cables.  Which series did you get?  How long are the two legs coming off the Y split ?

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #810 of 2,420

Isn't it slightly more microphonic because of the stiffness?

Using Spinfits, I don't hear much microphonic noise at all for stock or the custom. I can run my fingernail up and down the custom cable and there is just a small amount of vibration noise. The outer jacket of the wires are pretty smooth and slick. Even though the custom is more stiff, I find they stay pretty straight even after storing coiled up. There doesn't appear to be any memory effect and I coil with 4 finger loop.

Thanks for posting your experience with Plusound cables.  Which series did you get?  How long are the two legs coming off the Y split ?

Plus sound can only do 4 wire patterns (no X6 or X8) for JH Sirens cable so you basically select the wire type and sleeving option. I went with Exo (no sleeve) and Silver+Gold Litz 6. You can see there are 2 insulated wires for left/right channel. I asked Christian how they connected the 4 pins with just 2 wires. For Litz 6 there are individual strands of wire inside that are also insulated with enamel so they are able to create 2 groups of wires inside. You can also go with their Next Gen custom cable in various sleeve options.

I have 12 inches of length from the end of the 4 pin connector to y split which fits me well. You should definitely specify your preferred length when you order.

Back to microphonic, you can go with sleeves to mitigate those, but I don't find it necessary and I prefer the aesthetics of the bare silver/gold wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back