JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #781 of 2,420
Mmm.....if it is a sudden sound cut-off when you move around or fiddle with the cable on the right side, then that is exactly the problem that I experienced almost immediately (like day 2) after purchase. The problem was more prevalent while using the balanced cable. I returned the bal cable and the replacement  one seems to have cured the problem.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #782 of 2,420
  I've having some problems with the right ear piece (Red dot) since I bought it almost 5 months ago. Most of the times, it doesn't produce sound until I touch\move it a bit before it can work. For the past 2 weeks, it's getting worst. I had to unscrew and screw it back to get it working. After a while it won't work again.

Has anyone experiencing the same problem? Please let me know

I experienced it with my custom Roxanne on the left side. Haven't experienced it with my AK Layla yet.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #783 of 2,420
Mmm.....if it is a sudden sound cut-off when you move around or fiddle with the cable on the right side, then that is exactly the problem that I experienced almost immediately (like day 2) after purchase. The problem was more prevalent while using the balanced cable. I returned the bal cable and the replacement  one seems to have cured the problem.

I think mine is the right side cable. How\where did you return the cable? I'm in London, UK. Where can I get a replacement cable? I'm using the cable that came with the Layla

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #784 of 2,420
mmm.....returned it to my headfi dealer here in Manila and it was sent back to his supplier for replacement. Turnaround time was about 3 weeks.

Speaking of replacement cable, I just got my Brimar Audio 4-wire Gold Monarch cable for Layla, 2.5 mm. TRRS  (without the bass adjuster). I'm still adjusting to the sound presentation. First impression: it is a warm-sounding cable. There is definite improvement in the bass (quantity and quality) as compared with the stock balanced cable. The treble has been somewhat smoothed over (no sibiliance even with tracks that accentuate sibilance), which can be an asset when playing less-than-perfectly recorded tracks. Mid-range: I haven't decided what to make of it. Equipment used: AK 240, Alo Audio 2.5 mm. trrs interconnect, CDM (Sonotone single triode tubes). The cable itself is well-built, supple and classy-looking. It comes with my favorite small case: clear Pelican 1010.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #786 of 2,420
Likewise, but in a much smaller way, Questyle QP1R to Vorzuge Pure II+ to Layla is a damned fine mini portable rig...

Hopefully when the firmware matures (the QP1R I have is a review sample with beta firmware) I can warm up the mids a smidgen, and drop the amp, as the player itself drives the Layla's fantastically, it is just a little cold sounding right now for my absolute liking...

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #787 of 2,420
  mmm.....returned it to my headfi dealer here in Manila and it was sent back to his supplier for replacement. Turnaround time was about 3 weeks.

Speaking of replacement cable, I just got my Brimar Audio 4-wire Gold Monarch cable for Layla, 2.5 mm. TRRS  (without the bass adjuster). I'm still adjusting to the sound presentation. First impression: it is a warm-sounding cable. There is definite improvement in the bass (quantity and quality) as compared with the stock balanced cable. The treble has been somewhat smoothed over (no sibiliance even with tracks that accentuate sibilance), which can be an asset when playing less-than-perfectly recorded tracks. Mid-range: I haven't decided what to make of it. Equipment used: AK 240, Alo Audio 2.5 mm. trrs interconnect, CDM (Sonotone single triode tubes). The cable itself is well-built, supple and classy-looking. It comes with my favorite small case: clear Pelican 1010.

Hi raypin,

Thanks for your help. Can I get a link to the Brimar Audio 4-wire? Thanks

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #789 of 2,420
Got my custom cable from Plussound today. I thought about DHC but didn't want to go with fixed bass. In hindsight that was the right decision for me because I need to change my 10:30 setting from before to 12+. The main reason is the fit is changed. As you can see in the pics, the ear hooks are pre molded and rigid. This makes my earpieces stay in place much better and are pretty immune to movement. I swapped from foam to Spinfits and finally I am getting the sound I want. Before the low mid was too boomy with the Spinfits which is why I kept at 10:30. With the new cable and Spinfits, mids are much tighter and I can up the bass a bit more. As for SQ, I think the treble is more extended and more forward than stock, but without added sibilance. Overall I'm really happy with the results and plan to listen more this weekend. The turn around was right at 4 weeks so really fast!

Thanks to Christian at Plussound for answering all my questions and getting this made. The build is flawless!

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #790 of 2,420
Nice cable. Which one did you chose?

I think I should change mine soon too, but I'd like to go for copper anyway, I don't want to change the sound too much as I already spent too much time tuning Layla.

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #791 of 2,420
  Nice cable. Which one did you chose?

I think I should change mine soon too, but I'd like to go for copper anyway, I don't want to change the sound too much as I already spent too much time tuning Layla.

I thought about copper but went with Silver+Gold Litz 6 Cryo.

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #793 of 2,420
Hi all . . . got my 380 today.  What's the verdict on the 2.5 balanced out to Layla ?  Better way to go than the 3.5 mm single end?  Anyone disappointed with their a balanced cable?

Thanks . . .

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #794 of 2,420
You have both cables, experiment and report back...

Double check the bass adjusters though, my 2.5mm cable came with the adjusters screwed up to maximum!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back