JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #811 of 2,420
  I have 12 inches of length from the end of the 4 pin connector to y split which fits me well. You should definitely specify your preferred length when you order.

Yea, 12" is a little short . . . thanks for the info !!

beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #812 of 2,420
Hi all, I'm actually considering purchasing one. Any one care to share their thoughts on the choice between Universal and Custom versions?

That's a good question. Ultimately comes to your own priorities but here are a few pointers:

Universal
  1. I see a couple used ones for sale in classified so you can save a lot going used.
  2. Resale value - universals have a better resale value than customs if you end up selling in the future.
  3. Yes, they are huge and do stick out.
  4. Getting the right fit and tips can take days to weeks to get just right.

Custom
  1. The custom fit, no worries on tips
  2. Fits more flush with your ears
  3. You have a long wait and possible re-fits which add another several weeks for final delivery
  4. More expensive especially if you add custom options

One last bit of info is that Dr. John (Wizard) at Noble Audio wears universals so they should not be considered inferior to customs in any way. It's just pure personal preference.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #814 of 2,420
Hi all, I'm actually considering purchasing one. Any one care to share their thoughts on the choice between Universal and Custom versions?

One of the biggest differences is the isolation of the custom fit.  They absolutely block 90% of outside noises.  Pay close attention to JHA instructions and send a copy to your audiologist a few days before your appointment.  The bite-block is essential when doing the impressions, most audiologist won't have these, and they probably won't have the cotton dams either.  I take my own bite block which is usually a large empty pill bottle or something.  My audiologist had to scrounge around for cotton dams. . . .  JHA does have a  list of audiologist they recommend, but they are few and far between.

I like my customs a lot.  I'm on my second set.  Sorry I can't compare them directly with universals.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #815 of 2,420
I have come to own a number of custom IEMs, but in my experience, customs, even when well-fitted, are actually a bit worse in noise isolation than a pair of universals with well-fitted soft tips, especially the double flange or triple flange ones. The only exception is Westone which has a soft end in its customs - they have the best sound isolation in the customs I have had. But even that can't beat the noise isolation on a triple flange eartipped ER4P. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #816 of 2,420
  I have come to own a number of custom IEMs, but in my experience, customs, even when well-fitted, are actually a bit worse in noise isolation than a pair of universals with well-fitted soft tips, especially the double flange or triple flange ones. The only exception is Westone which has a soft end in its customs - they have the best sound isolation in the customs I have had. But even that can't beat the noise isolation on a triple flange eartipped ER4P. 

Exactly why I continue to use my 15 year old ER4Ps when I'm on planes.  It absolutely kills outside noise letting you crawl into your own acoustic space.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #817 of 2,420
Exactly why I continue to use my 15 year old ER4Ps when I'm on planes.  It absolutely kills outside noise letting you crawl into your own acoustic space.
I suppose this could just be an anatomical difference, however I have an absolute nightmare with the descent, screws my ears royally for days after... Does the pressure difference of something that occluding not mess (literally) with your head?

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #821 of 2,420
  i would greatly appreciate that. i just recently lost one of my iems and am in the market for a new pair. Layla is under consideration for me as well as others such as k10 1984 a12...

Here is a breakdown of what I listened to

Classical              A&K 240       Layla was far more detailed especially in lower mids and bass (even bigger difference when using the EQ).  Treble was nice on both.

String Quartet      A&K 240       Layla was subtly more spacious sounding.

Female vocal       A&K 240       The differences were not so obvious, treble and voice were pleasing on both.  Bass was not as big a deal as classical 

Latin Jazz            MacBook       Using the headphone output I listened to the Buena Vista Social Club (Youtube).  The 16 Pro's sound OK, but the Layla sounds more spacious and more detailed.        

Latin Jazz            A&K 240        Same as above, (but from 16/44 file).  

Hip Hop               MacBook        Bass was louder on the 16 Pro's and had more of a, "thump thump", quality than on the Layla's.  Layla revealed more detail in the bass and lower mids but the effect was to diminish the loudness of the bass.

Heavy Metal        MacBook        Layla more detailed and spacious in the bass.  16's sounded muddy in comparison. 

In summary, I would say it depends on what music you're listening to and what you're tying to achieve.  If you are into clarity and details with larger ensembles then Layla is the way to go.  If you're into solo vocal or instrumental without complex bass, then the 16's will be fine.  For anything with complex bass where you want to hear the details, or for upscale sources with decent equalization then Layla is the way to go.  

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #822 of 2,420
Since I bought my Layla 5 months ago, I've only listened to music on my iPhone 6 Qobuz app (loseless streaming app). 

Is this an overkill? Should I have bought something less expensive or 2\3-drive iem?

I only listen to music on my way to work and back roughly 2 and half hours in central london

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #823 of 2,420
You will definitely notice a further improvement in your listening experience of going further up the tree, however - the cost to improvement ratio diminishes quite quickly!

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #824 of 2,420
  Since I bought my Layla 5 months ago, I've only listened to music on my iPhone 6 Qobuz app (loseless streaming app). 

Is this an overkill? Should I have bought something less expensive or 2\3-drive iem?

I only listen to music on my way to work and back roughly 2 and half hours in central london

Not an overkill at all. I use Layla almost exclusively with iPhone lately even though I have the AK240. The difference in source quality vis-a-vis IEMs is way overrated. The effect of source on full sized cans is much bigger, and when it comes to large speaker systems, the difference would increase exponentially. You millage may vary, but I do not think buying a DAP solely for the use of Layla, the AK240 in particular (since I had most experience with it recently, outside of the iPhone) is worth it at all. If you had the extra money, go for the K10 - that gives you a whole other world of high end IEM experience - much more than upgrading to, say, an iRiver, can give you.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #825 of 2,420

Not an overkill at all. I use Layla almost exclusively with iPhone lately even though I have the AK240. The difference in source quality vis-a-vis IEMs is way overrated. The effect of source on full sized cans is much bigger, and when it comes to large speaker systems, the difference would increase exponentially. 

What Music app do you use for your source? Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, Deezer etc? Or do you play MP3/ALAC from the music app? Is there any difference in sound play loseless or mp3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back