JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #826 of 2,420
What Music app do you use for your source? Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, Deezer etc? Or do you play MP3/ALAC from the music app? Is there any difference in sound play loseless or mp3?
Completely off topic, but you maybe have just killed my feeling of exclusivity donning Layla's in London :wink:

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #827 of 2,420
Completely off topic, but you maybe have just killed my feeling of exclusivity donning Layla's in London
wink.gif

I bet there are lot of people that own layla in London, although I haven't seen or spotted anyone wearing layla on the train\underground in London.

Remember that London is a world class city with a lot of rich people

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #828 of 2,420
I bet there are lot of people that own layla in London, although I haven't seen or spotted anyone wearing layla on the train\underground in London.

Remember that London is a world class city with a lot of rich people
oh, of course...

I would be stupid to think otherwise, haha, will be funny the first time I do bump into someone else wearing a pair though, will have to think of a secret handshake.

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #829 of 2,420

What Music app do you use for your source? Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, Deezer etc? Or do you play MP3/ALAC from the music app? Is there any difference in sound play loseless or mp3?

Tidal, Moov and the stock Music app. I only use lossless streaming an CD quality files. There is a notable difference between mp3 and lossless. Actually I can even hear difference between lossless FLAC and wave - I just don't understand why but the difference is noticeable. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #830 of 2,420

Tidal, Moov and the stock Music app. I only use lossless streaming an CD quality files. There is a notable difference between mp3 and lossless. Actually I can even hear difference between lossless FLAC and wave - I just don't understand why but the difference is noticeable. 

Never heard of Moov. Is it a music streaming app?

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #832 of 2,420

Here is a breakdown of what I listened to

Classical              A&K 240       Layla was far more detailed especially in lower mids and bass (even bigger difference when using the EQ).  Treble was nice on both.

String Quartet      A&K 240       Layla was subtly more spacious sounding.

Female vocal       A&K 240       The differences were not so obvious, treble and voice were pleasing on both.  Bass was not as big a deal as classical 

Latin Jazz            MacBook       Using the headphone output I listened to the Buena Vista Social Club (Youtube).  The 16 Pro's sound OK, but the Layla sounds more spacious and more detailed.        

Latin Jazz            A&K 240        Same as above, (but from 16/44 file).  

Hip Hop               MacBook        Bass was louder on the 16 Pro's and had more of a, "thump thump", quality than on the Layla's.  Layla revealed more detail in the bass and lower mids but the effect was to diminish the loudness of the bass.

Heavy Metal        MacBook        Layla more detailed and spacious in the bass.  16's sounded muddy in comparison. 

In summary, I would say it depends on what music you're listening to and what you're tying to achieve.  If you are into clarity and details with larger ensembles then Layla is the way to go.  If you're into solo vocal or instrumental without complex bass, then the 16's will be fine.  For anything with complex bass where you want to hear the details, or for upscale sources with decent equalization then Layla is the way to go.  

Thank you very much for the comparison. I think I have it narrowed down to the Layla, k10, and Edel a12. So tough making a decision without hearing any of them! You basically have to rely on posts here to get an accurate review of how each sound. Now that more people have pointed it out i have noticed the extreme bass of the 16s. It can be fun at time depending on what you're listening to but leads quickly to fatigue. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #833 of 2,420
From personal experience the treble of the K10 is more, erm... Relaxed, compared to the Layla, the Layla can sound super clean (call that bright if you wish) but the K10 can sound dull...

You pick your poison and you pay your price of admission...

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #835 of 2,420
From personal experience the treble of the K10 is more, erm... Relaxed, compared to the Layla, the Layla can sound super clean (call that bright if you wish) but the K10 can sound dull...

Sounds like you would go with the layla then? Can you comment on the bass? dull as in flat?

Very true but I've always said the 16s were the best purchase I've ever made. I use them all the time. Really changed mobile listening for me coming from the se530s. 

Any reason people don't bring the a12s into the discussion? Am i missing any other of the tops ones? Sorry, I have been out of tune with the news ones. Much more options now then when I was getting the 16s. 

Yea that goes on a lot around Head-Fi.  I'm pretty confident in the Layla's judging from what I've read, and heard.  There is one guy who likes Hidition CIEM's, I'd be tempted to try those but another guy got a bad fit on his . . .  anyways here's the link.

Not familiar with Hidition. I will have to look into them more. Thanks

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #836 of 2,420

Sounds like you would go with the layla then? Can you comment on the bass? dull as in flat?  

Very true but I've always said the 16s were the best purchase I've ever made. I use them all the time.

I don't think the Layla bass is dull or flat.  On the Layla bass is detailed.  If there are several instruments contributing to the bass track, you will be able to hear each one of them separately.  On the 16s they just blended together as one "thumping" sound.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #837 of 2,420
I don't think the Layla bass is dull or flat.  On the Layla bass is detailed.  If there are several instruments contributing to the bass track, you will be able to hear each one of them separately.  On the 16s they just blended together as one "thumping" sound.
Agreed on all counts.

That being said, I quite like the mids on the 16s - just goes to show that you cannot win them all - in my completely unrealistic perfect world, I would have Layla bass, 16 mids and Layla treble...

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #838 of 2,420
Among my Layla, K10 and SE846, I think SE846 is still the king in terms of bass. I tried turning the Layla's bass all the way up but it still does not meet the depth of the SE846, and the vocal sounded off in that setting. The so called "detai: in bass" on the Layla mentioned above may merely be mid-bass and become more prominent since deep bass is missing. But overall I still prefer the Layla and K10 over SE846.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #839 of 2,420
  Among my Layla, K10 and SE846, I think SE846 is still the king in terms of bass. I tried turning the Layla's bass all the way up but it still does not meet the depth of the SE846, and the vocal sounded off in that setting. The so called "detai: in bass" on the Layla mentioned above may merely be mid-bass and become more prominent since deep bass is missing. But overall I still prefer the Layla and K10 over SE846.

You be right about that.  Layla isn't really audible below 120 Hz. even with the EQ cranked up.

beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #840 of 2,420

I disagree. The se846 bass is not as good as the k10. What filter do you use with the SE846?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back