JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #856 of 2,420
ight goes well - I intend to swap these demos out for a new pair tomorrow. And happy to post further experiences along the break-in journey. Incidentally, the demo pair apparently only have a few hours of burn-in (3.5mm). The 2.5mm had no burn-in and sounded tight in brief comparison - so I will stick to the unbalanced cable for my assessment time. Plan on using the 2.5mm with my own pair though. All listening so far has been done on the AK240 with DSD or FLAC. 

There goes my head-fi cherry.... love this place - have learnt so much from you all - thank you....

Hi Googaliser, 

Do you have any final comparison of 2.5mm and 3.5mm iwth Layla? I found out of AK380, 3.5mm has better high extension,  expansive, musical, RELAXED, Midrange is SWEETER.
2.5mm sounded yes tight, focused, rigid, DARK, AND BORING! I could get fatigue with 2.5mm.

I hope to hear your final experience.

Thank you in advance,

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #858 of 2,420
  Hi Googaliser, 

Do you have any final comparison of 2.5mm and 3.5mm iwth Layla? I found out of AK380, 3.5mm has better high extension,  expansive, musical, RELAXED, Midrange is SWEETER.
2.5mm sounded yes tight, focused, rigid, DARK, AND BORING! I could get fatigue with 2.5mm.

I hope to hear your final experience.

Thank you in advance,

Hi,

Unfortunately, have not listened at all with the 3.5mm cables. Love the sound from my latest Layla's. If others share your experience, may burn them in to see, but find it surprising. 

Sorry not to be of more help

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #859 of 2,420
Good fit is an infinitely better improvement in sound over what may be perceived as burn in with BA drivers...

One thing that may be more for the sound science forum than here is that as far as I know BA drivers change in tonality depending on the temperature they're being used in, which of course may adversely affect what people hear.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #864 of 2,420
  I thin

Solo vocal or solo instrumental or small groups sound fabulous.  Most audio is easier with small groups, not just a Layla thing.

See my post here.

thanks again! I listen to a lot of hip hop, instrumentals, edm, and rock the most I would have to say. I really listen to a wide variety though. I feel like the layla's have failed to live up to expectations. Lots of mixed reviews that I have read. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #865 of 2,420
Roxanne's beauty is the huge soundstage, the details and the very clear instrument separation. Layla maintained all that advantages without the slight harshness the Roxanne can exhibits at times. To me, Layla is one of the most versatile IEMs when it comes to the types of music. I think Jerry Harvey finally nailed it beautifully.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #866 of 2,420

I thin

Solo vocal or solo instrumental or small groups sound fabulous.  Most audio is easier with small groups, not just a Layla thing.

See my post here.

thanks again! I listen to a lot of hip hop, instrumentals, edm, and rock the most I would have to say. I really listen to a wide variety though. I feel like the layla's have failed to live up to expectations. Lots of mixed reviews that I have read. 

I'm pretty confident that Layla is the best IEM or CIEM out there . . . hard to know for sure without trying them all !!  

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #867 of 2,420
So, there are many you haven't tried but you're pretty confident based on...? price? 

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #869 of 2,420
So, there are many you haven't tried but you're pretty confident based on...? price? 
Trouble is that virtually no one has the resource or time to listen to all of them... I can say as an all rounder the Layla to my ears bests the K10, SE846, 1p2 and IE800.

Trouble is, opinions are like brains, everyone has got one, and what is right to me isn't neccesarily right to the person I'm sat next to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back