JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #751 of 2,420
The Layla's crave power, something which the ZX2 doesn't have much of (I'm NOT talking volume necessarily) - That is why I ended up with the AR M2 - abundance of power... - also, if you're very used to the IE800, you'll find that the Layla sounds a bit - erm, boring - BUT, listen exclusively to the Layla for a week, and then go back to the IE800, and you'll find their weaknesses are more apparent than what you're hearing as weaknesses on the Layla at the moment.

Would the AK 380 suffice in terms of power? It's been 10 years since I quit big speakers . I feel I'm being dragged down that path again . I remember my Wilson Watt Pups needed power and all the extras to get the ultimate sound .

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #752 of 2,420
Would the AK 380 suffice in terms of power? It's been 10 years since I quit big speakers . I feel I'm being dragged down that path again . I remember my Wilson Watt Pups needed power and all the extras to get the ultimate sound .

I personally don't think the AK380 gives the Layla the best sound. YMMV though. I personally use the Continental Dual Mono on top of the AK380. AK380+Layla on its own doesn't sound that great to me.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #753 of 2,420
I am of the belief that (if you believe the back story) the universal Layla was tuned with the 240 in mind rather than the 380, which with n99127's thoughts above might well explain why I preferred the 240 with Layla when I auditioned...

That being said, I ended up with the AR M2, which has more power on tap than your local nuclear power plant!

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #754 of 2,420
I am of the belief that (if you believe the back story) the universal Layla was tuned with the 240 in mind rather than the 380, which with @n99127's thoughts above might well explain why I preferred the 240 with Layla when I auditioned...

That being said, I ended up with the AR M2, which has more power on tap than your local nuclear power plant!

I would agree.  Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to demo the 380 so I can't comment on that pairing.  Of my setups I found that the AK Jr. pairing is okay, the zx2 pairing is fine but I prefer the GO100 or the 240 with my Layla.   

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #756 of 2,420
When I auditioned Layla, I used AK240, Tera>Picollo and iPhone 5S. The AK240 was my least favorite combo. It also had the most output impedance as well.
Did you find the 240 / Layla combination a little sterile?

I have a wild hunch that you might've, which might add to the weight of why I bought the M2...

To me, the 240 sounded cleaner (but arguably thinner) than the 380, which to me was a bit peaky in the vocal range...

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #757 of 2,420

I have a wild hunch that you might've, which might add to the weight of why I bought the M2...

To me, the 240 sounded cleaner (but arguably thinner) than the 380, which to me was a bit peaky in the vocal range...

I really need to try the M2 sometime!

I seem to remember something you mentioned a while back about the Layla needing a lot of power in order to sound its best. Although I would agree with you that the Layla sounds better out of the AK240 than the AK380, I don't think the difference is particularly significant. However, out of the CDM, the difference is quite large. Now granted, this could be (and probably is) due to the coloration provided by the CDM, but I would definitely feel that an amp (or apparently the power of the M2, which I reeeeeaallly want to try) would make the Layla sound better, primarily in terms of a larger soundstage and more clarity.

The only downside, however, of using the CDM is slightly more treble peaks, but I think the trade-off is worth it.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #758 of 2,420

The AK240 sounded duller in comparison to the other two. Treble presence took a bit of a hit, sounding a hair darker in direct conparison. The AK240 did the same with my UERM and was my main reason for selling it.

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #759 of 2,420
  Ah, nice, thank you! So far the Hugo is pretty amazing, but I have to say the Aurender is an incredible bargain by comparison in terms of SQ + functionality, if you leverage the SSD function.

Is that Takehiko Inoue's art from Vagabond? It's beautiful.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #760 of 2,420

I personally don't think the AK380 gives the Layla the best sound. YMMV though. I personally use the Continental Dual Mono on top of the AK380. AK380+Layla on its own doesn't sound that great to me.

It is amazing how important to match headphones with amps.  My Layla's sound good on my AK240 and sounds awful on my larger tube amps.  Just changing driver tubes in my one amp changes which headphones sound best.  

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #761 of 2,420
  Is that Takehiko Inoue's art from Vagabond? It's beautiful.

Thank you! Hmm, I am not sure ... I found it on google image search. The full image is awesome, but didn't transfer all that well to an IEM shape/size unfortunately...

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #762 of 2,420

It is amazing how important to match headphones with amps.  My Layla's sound good on my AK240 and sounds awful on my larger tube amps.  Just changing driver tubes in my one amp changes which headphones sound best.  

I echo that with regards to the Tera Player and IEMS - at least the three pairs I tried didn't match well with the 10ohm output. Charles being Charles, said that I was using the wrong headphones, and should try something else instead of adjusting the output. Sigh.

I hated to sell it, but it just didn't pair well with any of my gear. I can't believe the prices are as high as they are now, but that is the subject of another thread altogether.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #763 of 2,420
The AK240 sounded duller in comparison to the other two. Treble presence took a bit of a hit, sounding a hair darker in direct conparison. The AK240 did the same with my UERM and was my main reason for selling it.
looks liker we are talking the same language here :)

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #764 of 2,420
question for @piercer - what did you have for lunch today? A pair of Woo Audio WA234 mono blocks? or for that matter what's for dinner?
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back