JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #736 of 2,420
The ear memory started to crack on my pair. The mini-jack also needed replacement. Yes, I took them outdoors, but took good care of them, looks like the cable is of poor quality, so I would advice to use them with great care. I'm considering a proper cable for these ATM, but I'm reluctant to change the sound of an already unpredictable IEM as Layla is.

So I've used them with my ZX2 , the SQ sounds flat compared to the my Sennheiser ie800. Rather unimpressed so far . Am I missing something ?

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #737 of 2,420
So I've used them with my ZX2 , the SQ sounds flat compared to the my Sennheiser ie800. Rather unimpressed so far . Am I missing something ?

I don't have the ZX2, but I find that the Laylas sound pretty poor out of my iPhone. Out of my AK240/380 it sounds better but lacks soundstage until I amp the Laylas with my CDM (Continental Dual Mono).

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #738 of 2,420
I don't have the ZX2, but I find that the Laylas sound pretty poor out of my iPhone. Out of my AK240/380 it sounds better but lacks soundstage until I amp the Laylas with my CDM (Continental Dual Mono).

My 380 and Hugo is coming tomm. Let's see how they sound.....

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #740 of 2,420
Went and saw PhilW at custom cables over an extended lunch-break. Excellent service from them and a shop full of fun things :)

Came back with a pair of Laylas to connect to my AK380.

Straight out the box they are delivering the most massive, confident, refined and wide presentation from any earphones I have owned so far

Extremely impressive.

Don't know where all this lack of mids talk is coming from. These are obviously excellent. Noticeably better then anything I have owned before.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #741 of 2,420
  Went and saw PhilW at custom cables over an extended lunch-break. Excellent service from them and a shop full of fun things :)

Came back with a pair of Laylas to connect to my AK380.

Straight out the box they are delivering the most massive, confident, refined and wide presentation from any earphones I have owned so far

Extremely impressive.

Don't know where all this lack of mids talk is coming from. These are obviously excellent. Noticeably better then anything I have owned before.

Wow! That was one expensive lunch LOL.

Congrats on the Laylas. I agree with you. I also think it belongs in its' own classification for many reasons. One word of warning - Layla seduces you to turn up the volume to dangerous levels!

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #742 of 2,420

Wow! That was one expensive lunch LOL.

Congrats on the Laylas. I agree with you. I also think it belongs in its' own classification for many reasons. One word of warning - Layla seduces you to turn up the volume to dangerous levels!

I have noticed that - Was listening all afternoon and found myself sitting listening and not working - oops! The volume did creep up, because it sounded so good.

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #743 of 2,420

I have noticed that - Was listening all afternoon and found myself sitting listening and not working - oops! The volume did creep up, because it sounded so good.

What were you listening to? What tips did you use? I'm finding the sound flat compared to my Sennheiser's.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #744 of 2,420
What were you listening to? What tips did you use? I'm finding the sound flat compared to my Sennheiser's.
The Layla's crave power, something which the ZX2 doesn't have much of (I'm NOT talking volume necessarily) - That is why I ended up with the AR M2 - abundance of power... - also, if you're very used to the IE800, you'll find that the Layla sounds a bit - erm, boring - BUT, listen exclusively to the Layla for a week, and then go back to the IE800, and you'll find their weaknesses are more apparent than what you're hearing as weaknesses on the Layla at the moment.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #745 of 2,420

I listened to a lot of different kinds of music from classical to industrial :)-)) andI am using the default tips that they came with. Will try some different ones tomorrow.

I think the AK380 drives the Laylas very well - my average listening volume was 75 (about 50%), but I am looking forward to hopefully trying the AK380 amp on Sunday...

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #746 of 2,420
Laylas arrived today! CIEMs are huge - I was thinking they would be a tad bit smaller than the franken-bolts.

Comparing them to the JH3a / JH16s, bass is definitely more articulate and taut. I find it interesting that my playlist of great music for the 3a system doesn't sound that good with the Laylas so far. This is with the dial set at 12. Will have to experiment. I do wish that the bass dial was tool-less. Would be nice to be able to set it on the fly for a particular song.

Running some comparisons on the Aurender vs. Hugo now...

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #747 of 2,420
  Laylas arrived today! CIEMs are huge - I was thinking they would be a tad bit smaller than the franken-bolts.

Comparing them to the JH3a / JH16s, bass is definitely more articulate and taut. I find it interesting that my playlist of great music for the 3a system doesn't sound that good with the Laylas so far. This is with the dial set at 12. Will have to experiment. I do wish that the bass dial was tool-less. Would be nice to be able to set it on the fly for a particular song.

Running some comparisons on the Aurender vs. Hugo now...

Congrats!   Give them some time, dare I say burn-in?  The SQ gets better and better . . 

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #748 of 2,420
Hehe, thanks - yah, I'm running them with a bunch of music now. I have a pink noise generator on my phone, but it only lasts until the screen locks. Will report back after I get some more time with them...

Has anyone taken the plunge on the doublehelix cables for these? I haven't seen any reviews, last time I searched. On the fence about having to 'fix' the bass at a set level...

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #750 of 2,420
Ah, nice, thank you! So far the Hugo is pretty amazing, but I have to say the Aurender is an incredible bargain by comparison in terms of SQ + functionality, if you leverage the SSD function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back