JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
May 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #1,591 of 2,420
B-flat,
If I go with CDM and Layla's, what is your preference for the transporter? I have an iPhone 6 at present and will get the 7 when it appears. Is it a significant improvement to store and play my music files from another transporter like the Onkyo or whatever you might suggest? This will be for travel and walking in addition to sitting at the piano and listening to tonal variations of other musicians. So in terms of bulk, less is more. I had thought of just getting the AK240, but it sounds like you found it a bit muddy in the mids and lows as I recall.
Thanks,
Luke

Since CDM only accepts USB, it won't matter what your source is because it's just passing bits. iPhone should be fine, but you will need the Onkyo HF app in order to get full sampling rates. If your lossless music fits on your iPhone, there's no reason for you to spend more money on another transport. You will need a CCK lightning cable and Moon Audio has a good blog that explains how it all works. They sell the cables too.

May 30, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #1,593 of 2,420
Do I just need the standard Apple CCK cable and not the mojo or other cables they sell with it? Does the CDM come with its own USB cable that will fit into the CCK? Then. I expect I could get the CCK directly from Apple. Is that correct?

May 30, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #1,594 of 2,420
Do I just need the standard Apple CCK cable and not the mojo or other cables they sell with it? Does the CDM come with its own USB cable that will fit into the CCK? Then. I expect I could get the CCK directly from Apple. Is that correct?

Yes, the CCK lightning cable is this one. It's officially for iPads but works on iPhones and iPods:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Camera-Adapter-MD821ZM/dp/B00WT134F6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464581335&sr=8-2&keywords=apple+lightning+usb+camera+adapter

You also need a micro usb cable. You get a really nice USB cable with the CDM but it is 3 ft long. You can get shorter ones from Amazon.

If you want higher quality cables, Moon Audio sells you both the CCK and short premium USB cable as a kit:

https://www.moon-audio.com/apple-compatible-cables-headphones-audio-gear/cables.html

CDM must use CCK since it is not Apple certified so only look at the kits that have both the CCK and USB cable.

May 31, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #1,595 of 2,420
Wonderful. Thanks for spelling this out clearly. Have any of you also tried the KSE1500?. I know it's a totally different technology, but so long as we have now delineated the best setup for the Layla's it would help to know if the KSE1500 is as good. I know there's a problem there with the noisy cord phonics. Otherwise how is the transparency, instrument placement, sound details quality vs the amped Layla's? This is for classical piano, small jazz ensemble, chamber orchestra, concerto with symphony with emphasis on piano. Thanks.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #1,596 of 2,420
OK. I understand the polite silence. I went over to the KSE1500 thread, and I get the impression that the setup kindly recommended and fully explained by BFlat and others here is the preferred choice by the members of this thread. I accept and will go for those components as the best available for my needs. Thank you all, and please excuse my mental churn after I already had your clear recommendations.
Luke

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #1,597 of 2,420
OK. I understand the polite silence. I went over to the KSE1500 thread, and I get the impression that the setup kindly recommended and fully explained by BFlat and others here is the preferred choice by the members of this thread. I accept and will go for those components as the best available for my needs. Thank you all, and please excuse my mental churn after I already had your clear recommendations.
Luke

Without a doubt, dude. Layla is simply the best when it comes to IEM. It may not have as much bass as dynamic driver IEMs, it may not have the transparency of the KSE1500, and it does not have the sweetest mids and highs when compared with the likes of Noble Audio K10. But those factors do not prevent the Layla (and I believe the Layla II) to be the overall king of all IEMs. One ring to rule them all. The best of the best of the best.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,599 of 2,420
  Does anybody know how exactly bass adjustment mechanism works on JH Siren Series?

Each channel is connected to a variable resistor pot which is the bass module. These are connected to the earpieces by it's own 2 wires which is why there are 4 pins on the JH connector. By adding/subtracting resistance, you are increasing/subtracting the amount of boost to 64 Hz frequency. For universals, the middle (12 o'clock) is considered neutral. Turning counterclockwise decreases bass and turning clockwise increases.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,600 of 2,420
Each channel is connected to a variable resistor pot which is the bass module. These are connected to the earpieces by it's own 2 wires which is why there are 4 pins on the JH connector. By adding/subtracting resistance, you are increasing/subtracting the amount of boost to 64 Hz frequency. For universals, the middle (12 o'clock) is considered neutral. Turning counterclockwise decreases bass and turning clockwise increases.

Is a different position considered neutral on the custom models?

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,601 of 2,420
Is a different position considered neutral on the custom models?

Best to ask JH directly. I've heard conflicting statements with some saying that neutral for customs is all the way counter clockwise. This is probably due to each JH Sirens model having a different definition of "neutral". I would ask JH "what is the position for zero bass boost?". Fortunately both custom and universal use the same cables.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,602 of 2,420

Best to ask JH directly. I've heard conflicting statements with some saying that neutral for customs is all the way counter clockwise. This is probably due to each JH Sirens model having a different definition of "neutral". I would ask JH "what is the position for zero bass boost?". Fortunately both custom and universal use the same cables.

Thanks for you reply, that was really helpful. Now I'm pretty sure that bass adjustment mechanism itself shouldn't degrade the SQ in any way.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,603 of 2,420
Quick question:
If I have recordings in Apple lossless that I am playing into the CDM from my iPhone 6 and then into the Layla's, is it necessary to use the OnkyoHF app or can I just use the iTunes app since the source is ALAC and handled by iTunes already.  Thanks.
Luke

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,604 of 2,420
  Quick question:
If I have recordings in Apple lossless that I am playing into the CDM from my iPhone 6 and then into the Layla's, is it necessary to use the OnkyoHF app or can I just use the iTunes app since the source is ALAC and handled by iTunes already.  Thanks.
Luke

ALAC plays just as well through iTunes as the Onkyo player.  Advantage of Onkyo is playing higher res formats if you have higher res files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back