JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,606 of 2,420
Quick question... Has anyone used the audioquest dragonfly with the Layla? I've been trying to improve the sound quality through my iPhone and would like to use some form of arrangement that does not jeopardize portability.

Thanks

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,609 of 2,420
  Can Cayin make a DAP that sounds better than AK380 Cu? I doubt. 

Why? I suppose it depends on which company has the superior engineering and software know-how; either Zhuhai Spark, or iRiver. Let us not forget that "Astell & Kern" came from very humble beginnings as a decent but not terribly notable second tier DAP manufacturer pushing out such forgettables as the Clix and H10. Note that they produce NOTHING under the iRiver brand now. It's allll AK. 

What they do better than anyone else in the space now? Marketing and design. They read the high-end audio playbook cover to cover and implemented perfectly. So now they have a premium product at a premium price with premium features and performance and a premium profit margin. Unlike high-end audio, they're the only ones in the DAP space executing this way, although others seem to be figuring it out. 

What I notice? iRiver/A&K is driving design even moreso than performance. Look at the change in appearance from the first days of high-res DAPs (the HiFiMan HM801 had the space pretty much to itself for several years; the QLS QA350 was first but was really a DAC with WAV ability and rudimentary controls grafted on). The iBasso DX100 was about three years after, and the AK100 followed shortly thereafter. But AK upped the game on the tactile and visual experience and continue to do so, even if their initial efforts were poor on the performance front. The AK100 was not well regarded at the time.

If you compare the best of the best in DAPs, its much as with high-end audio, rate of return diminishes greatly as prices increase. Once you get beyond $800 in the current DAP market, its more about personal taste and bragging rights.

Having owned a home audio system totaling over $100,000 in value (B&W 802D, Edge NL-12.1 amp, Amazon Referenz turntable, Manley Steelhead preamp, ZYX univers cartridge, JL Audio Gotham sub, Studer A807 reel deck, Manley Tapehead preamps, dCS Scarletti SACD and DAC,etc) and having rolled components countless times (Avalon speakers, Jeff Rowland amps, VPI, Rega and Linn turnrtables, tonearms, cables, preamps, you name it), I quickly came to realize that once you cross a certain threshhold in price, the differences in performance become minute but the differences in cosmetics, features, and claimed benefits become much larger.

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #1,613 of 2,420
  Would you provide a quick lesson for me on what is higher resolution than .wav lossless compressed to alac or flac?Thanks much.  Still learning.

..so ALAC, FLAC and WAV are all file 'containers' and are different ways to house audio data which may vary in sample rate and bit depth. ALAC and FLAC are compressed in that they throw away redundant data but are lossless in that no actual musical content is destroyed as opposed to the way MP3, OGG, AAC and other lossy formats operate. Apologies if you already know this but when you hear the term 44.1/16, that is what the Red Book audio Compact Disc standard uses for sampling audio; 44,100 samples per second with 16 bits used for resolution.

Sample rate determines the maximum frequency that can be sampled (half the sample rate is the maximum frequency, so 22.05kHz for 44.1 rate, or 48kHz for 96 sample rate), whereas bit depth determines how many levels between silence and maximum loudness may be stored. The more bit depth present in the file, the more dynamic range is possible. 44/16 is 96db by the spec and I believe 96/24 is 144db. I don't fully understand how DSD works so I'm not going there.

That said; ALAC is simply Apple's take on lossless because they refuse to use an open standard such as FLAC. FLAC files may contain any range of sample rates and bit depths although most common are 44/16, 88/24, 96/24, 176/24 and 192/24. WAV is uncompressed PCM audio that may vary far more widely than FLAC. WAV files may contain sound with sample rates as low as 4kHz and 8 bits of sample depth or even less. 

So, the ability to play many file formats is just for convenience so you don't have to convert. You can move losslessly from FLAC to WAV to ALAC and back again, although DSD to PCM or v.v. will by necessity be lossy due to the differences in how each format is sampled and stored. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,616 of 2,420
Just got a Layla universal demo and the CDM.  First impressions:  WOW!.. No question the sound is magnificent.  But I face a dilemma.  I want to be portable.  I want to use this setup to walk on trails, etc.  How do I carry my iPhone 6,and the CDM, which by the way gets a bit warm, I expect from the tubes, hooked on my walking shorts in such a situation.  Has anyone dealt with this and found a good solution so I don't have to make a bunch of wrong purchases before finding something that works well?  Thanks so much for your suggestions.  Is any digital converter/amp like the CDM going to be just as big and heavy?  and really not match the quality of reproduction?  Now that I've tasted this quality, I'm definitely spoiled.
Thanks for any help with this matter.
Luke

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #1,618 of 2,420
Also has anyone use the comply tips if so does it change the sound for better or for the worst?

If you try the comply foam tips with wax guard, you will find the bass improving but not just a bit - but quite considerably. With that, and the AK380 Cu, it is just the most pleasant in-ear experience you can ever have. Sublime. Simply sublime.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,619 of 2,420
Also has anyone use the comply tips if so does it change the sound for better or for the worst?

I find that Complys give improved bass, increase soundstage, and remove 90% of the sibilance I experience with silicone tips. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back