JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
May 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #1,577 of 2,420
Do I then switch out the tubes that come with the CDM?

That's right. The Sonotone use less power so will last longer and most folks who tried them prefer over the stock. ALO has videos on how to change the tubes and it's very straight forward. Just remember that the Sonotones have a left and right tube.

May 26, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,579 of 2,420
One last question for now. Until I get the Layla's, I'll be using the JH13 customs. Will the CDM still enhance the sound with the JH13's? Thanks.
Luke

Interesting that you asked! I just got the Rosie which is suppose to be the universal version of the JH13 V2. I just tried it and the Rosie does not improve by much switching from my DAP and the CDM. I would not carry around the CDM with the Rosies, but I would not even try to listen to the Laylas without the CDM.

May 28, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,580 of 2,420
Does anyone own both the Rosie and and Layla? How do they compare? Also does anyone use the Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost Multibit and use either of those models with that stack? How do they scale up from lets say an iPhone?

May 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,581 of 2,420
Does anyone own both the Rosie and and Layla? How do they compare? Also does anyone use the Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost Multibit and use either of those models with that stack? How do they scale up from lets say an iPhone?

Rosie has a touch more warmth in the lower mids and I find the bass dial at 11 equals the amount of bass on Laylas at 1 o'clock. The highs on Rosie are not as defined as Layla, but are well extended. Layla has more sub bass as well.

Where Layla really separates itself from Rosie and all other IEMs is the depth and width o the sound stage. It is equal to the best closed full-size headphones and maybe even some open backs. Rosie's sound is more intimate and sound is more in one's head.

However, with Layla you need a quality DAC plus a low impedance amp to extract all of its' capabilities. Layla sound pretty dark, congested, and veiled when you don't have a good source and amp. On my iPhone, it sounds ok, but the lower mids and bass are very loose and boomy. On my DP-X1, it's better but still there is a haze over the sound. Paired with a Mojo, Pure II+, or CDM it is spectacular.

Back to Rosie, one of the positives is that it pairs well with my phone (still a little loose on low end) and Onkyo. It does not seem to be as picky. I tried Rosie on CDM and it's a very small improvement over my Onkyo.

As for your Schiit question, I have not tried that exact stack, but Bifrost MB is a solid choice for DAC. However, for either the Rosie or Layla, a Chord Mojo will serve you better for less than the cost of the Schiit stack.

May 29, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,582 of 2,420
I'm afraid to ask because I see the $$ effect, but is my iPhone 6 not a good source when run through the CDM to the Layla's? I know I'm a bit uncertain of the meaning of all the terms and how they are attached to the various pieces of equipment. Is the CDM a DAC/amp combo and the iPhone considered a "source".
Luke

May 29, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #1,583 of 2,420
I'm afraid to ask because I see the $$ effect, but is my iPhone 6 not a good source when run through the CDM to the Layla's? I know I'm a bit uncertain of the meaning of all the terms and how they are attached to the various pieces of equipment. Is the CDM a DAC/amp combo and the iPhone considered a "source".
Luke

I've always called it a "transport" and thought of the transport+DAC+amp together as the source, but that's a mess. On a more constructive note, I was just thinking the other day -- the connection type from transport to DAC affects quality, right? And optical is the best? A digital signal is transported with the least amount of distortion? There is a world of difference between feeding my Mojo from the PC with a USB cable and feeding it with an optical cable from the ak 100ii. The PC USB conncection is blurry and noisy, the optical Silver Dragon cable is flawless and pure.

From an iPhone one would use a lightning cable, right? How does that compare against an optical cable? I suspect not too well...

May 29, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #1,586 of 2,420
LOL, I have no idea, I was just speculating. Honestly, I think you're better off asking the CDM thread.

May 29, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,587 of 2,420
Oh, and how does the AK240 fit into this? Is it a transport/DAC/amp? And will the sound suffer using an all in three unit although more convenient?

No, the SQ doesn't suffer but you pocketbook will.  Using and mobile component stack will cost much less and provide equal or superior SQ but there are trade offs.  I used to have separate components for my mobile stack (iPhone -> DAC -> Amp -> HP/IEM) all banded together.  The sound was great but I didn't fine it very convenient and my wife said that it looked like a geek with a bomb. If the bulk, battery management and look doesn't bother you then I would go the component approach using a Mojo.  Since I travel almost continuously for work I find the convenience and SQ of the 240 (or similar DAP) to be fantastic.  I also find the AK240 to be a great pairing with the Layla. 

BTW, I don't use the AK240 as a DAC for my MBP.  It's a bit of a bother to get working and I have other DACs for that purpose. 

May 29, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #1,588 of 2,420
Thanks bflat!!! I was asking about the Schiit stack because I already own the Bifrost MB/Asgard2. I'm leaning more towards the Rosie ciem as it does seem like an excellent cost/value. I'd rather use the extra money for the Layla on full size headphones

May 29, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,589 of 2,420
Oh, and how does the AK240 fit into this? Is it a transport/DAC/amp? And will the sound suffer using an all in three unit although more convenient?

CDM's DAC will only work in USB mode. It does not have optical or coax input so it cannot function as a DAC for AK240. You would have to use the CDM in amp only mode connected to the balanced out of the AK240. It may sound good, but I'm really impressed with the CDM's DAC. If you are looking for amp only, Vorzuge Pure II+ is an excellent choice and ALO is coming out with an amp only version of CDM called Continental V5.

May 29, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #1,590 of 2,420
B-flat,
If I go with CDM and Layla's, what is your preference for the transporter? I have an iPhone 6 at present and will get the 7 when it appears. Is it a significant improvement to store and play my music files from another transporter like the Onkyo or whatever you might suggest? This will be for travel and walking in addition to sitting at the piano and listening to tonal variations of other musicians. So in terms of bulk, less is more. I had thought of just getting the AK240, but it sounds like you found it a bit muddy in the mids and lows as I recall.
Thanks,
Luke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back