JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
May 22, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,561 of 2,420
Let me add one more thing here so I don't get crucified in the Mojo thread. My professional background is in silicon valley. Just because Chord uses an FPGA, that by itself is meaningless. All that means is that Chord uses a field programmable chip that they can program to do whatever they want. Only Chord knows how they do D to A conversion but for sure, it is not an R2R DAC like the ones Schiit makes. The mass suppliers for Delta Sigma DACs like Cirrus (I worked there once) would never use FPGAs because it would be cost prohibitive for the volumes that they do. Instead, they mass produce their Delta Sigma design right onto silicon wafers. An FPGA would take up an order of magnitude more silicon because it is field programmable whereas the mass produced ICs are hard wired. Chord doesn't have the volume to mass produce their own ICs because a wafer start costs a hundreds of thousands of dollars and the silicon fabricators will want millions in advance purchase orders before they will make your chips. One semiconductor line costs half a billion so that's not feasible for Chord either.

What this means is that the type of chip - IC or FPGA makes no difference to the quality of the DAC. It is only the design of the DAC circuit and who's to say that Chord has better engineers than Cirrus or AKM or others. Don't let the alphabet soup of fancy sounding acronyms make you think that one is superior to the other.

May 22, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,562 of 2,420

However, like you said, for $600, it's hard to not like the Mojo, but I took a deep breath and paid the huge premium to get balanced back and loving the wonderful sound stage and presentation. Mojo in comparison is really intimate which some may prefer.

Just two more question, I'm trying to squeeze some valuable consumer info out of you :D

1) how much wider is the CDM's soundstage compared to the Pure 2 (driven by Mojo) and how much deeper? I know these are quite subjective terms, but still...

2) Why didn't you use the Mojo's DAC to feed the CDM instead of it's internal Wolfson? Too cumbersome? Didn't add enough?

May 22, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,563 of 2,420

Just two more question, I'm trying to squeeze some valuable consumer info out of you :D

1) how much wider is the CDM's soundstage compared to the Pure 2 (driven by Mojo) and how much deeper? I know these are quite subjective terms, but still...

2) Why didn't you use the Mojo's DAC to feed the CDM instead of it's internal Wolfson? Too cumbersome? Didn't add enough?

Sure no problem, that's what community is all about!

1) I wouldn't compare soundstage in distance numbers, but more of a "real" soundstage that is balanced both width and depth to give a 3D presentation that sounds much more than just two earpieces in my head. Pure 2+ has good depth to sound, maybe even deeper than CDM, but width is pretty narrow as highs sound more intimate and CDM. Pure 2+ was about 1-2% from sibilance so right on the edge. CDM more relaxed which give a better sense of space. I should mention I use the Sonotone tubes.

2) I tried Mojo as a DAC however, there is something missing when inputing an SE DAC to the CDM. Right away there is a significant drop in volume so I don't think it's optimized for SE input. However, I did connect CDM balanced in with a true balanced DAC - Gungnir MB and it was outstanding. Just not practical for me LOL.

Getting back more on topic - Layla is the most amazing IEM I've heard in terms of both sound profile and sound stage. I had an Ether C for a while and I'm sure some will disagree with me, but to me the Laylas easily match the sound stage and presence of the C. I certainly felt I didn't need both, so I sold my Ether C. The tunable bass dials was the clincher for me so I didn't have to mess with EQ. Ether C was a little bass light out of box for my tastes. Laylas are set to about 1:30.

How is that for an endorsement LOL?

May 22, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #1,564 of 2,420
Just to come back to my original question with a twist. I'm a classical pianist interested in solo classical piano, symphony/piano concerto, and chamber music. I'm looking to upgrade from JH13 with iPhone 6 lossless recordings. Ive looked at but not sampled Layla and KSE1500 reviews and want to use the IEMs and perhaps CIEMs for home and for travel (airplane) and walking/hiking.
So wth these parameters, please give impression of best setup Layla vs KSE1500. If a particular amp is required with the Layla's, I Guess that levels the competition with the KSE's in terms of bulk. I wish to experience detail and tonal nuance in the piano performance and also hope to be moved and lifted with heart felt connection to the more subtle textures created by the composer.
Thanks, Luke

May 23, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #1,565 of 2,420
Anyone here really thinks that Custom Layla is better than Universal, and why?

Tbh i hate the part of the collaboration between A&K and JH Audio, since i stopped trusting the former , i enjoyed my layla universal for the past 10 months. But i really am looking for custom.

How is the noise isolation if i made a proper ear impression?

What stock cables that comes with the custom version?

One last question, i have asked JH audio repair department but they didnt reply yet. Anybody knows whether their deep cleaning service covers the universal versions ie layla angie rosie roxxane universal.

May 23, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,567 of 2,420
Unrelated to the current discussion but I just received my custom silicone tips from Snugs. I'll share my impressions after I spend some more time with them.

May 23, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,568 of 2,420
  Unrelated to the current discussion but I just received my custom silicone tips from Snugs. I'll share my impressions after I spend some more time with them.

Oh, that's great! Will be interesting to hear. I'm just gearing up to get those.

May 23, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,569 of 2,420
Just to come back to my original question with a twist. I'm a classical pianist interested in solo classical piano, symphony/piano concerto, and chamber music. I'm looking to upgrade from JH13 with iPhone 6 lossless recordings. Ive looked at but not sampled Layla and KSE1500 reviews and want to use the IEMs and perhaps CIEMs for home and for travel (airplane) and walking/hiking.
So wth these parameters, please give impression of best setup Layla vs KSE1500. If a particular amp is required with the Layla's, I Guess that levels the competition with the KSE's in terms of bulk. I wish to experience detail and tonal nuance in the piano performance and also hope to be moved and lifted with heart felt connection to the more subtle textures created by the composer.
Thanks, Luke

If you are in the LA area or plan to there in the near future, UE has several stores where you can go and try out their customs. As someone previously said, they have a personally tuned version of their UERM that goes for about $2K I think. You take a hearing test and they tune the actual drivers/crossovers to create exactly what you want. They also use digital impressions of your ear canals and keep them on file so you don't have to go through another impression on your next customs.

KSE1500 is probably a solid choice as well, but if you need them for live performance, will probably not work as well as customs.

May 23, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,570 of 2,420
I do so appreciate the vast amount of knowledge you all have shared with me. I live in Delaware (that's on the East Coast for those of you who still wonder where that tiny state is located), and so the LA visit won't work.

I'm wondering if I have this correct:

For my purposes, the ultimate solution is the Layla CIEM with the CDM and then I may feed lossless from my iPhone 6 and it'll be as good as it can get for IEM's with clarity, and sound stage, and even warmth, for piano and chamber classical music and symphonic.

Alternative choice and certainly easier to carry around would be UERR straight from the iPhone without the need for an amp/DAC in the mix.

Another alternative is the KSE1500 which brings its own amp/DAC and maybe not the best cable setup at least in this new product current iteration. (I read that in another review).

I'm new to all of the Head-Fi jargon, so I'm climbing a very steep learning curve just reading your superb commentaries.

One big take away is that the Layla's, even with custom are not going to work on their own. They need to be amped (CDM), so I'm not going to get a portable system without bulk for those long walks unless I go with the UE product.

OK, I probably have this all wrong, so please tweak my summary. And again, thank you for being so generous with your time and patience with my lack of depth of understanding of your field.

Luke

May 24, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,571 of 2,420
One big take away is that the Layla's, even with custom are not going to work on their own. They need to be amped (CDM), so I'm not going to get a portable system without bulk for those long walks unless I go with the UE product.

The Laylas will still sound great out of your phone. An additional amp will improve them but don't think for a second that they will sound poor with just the amp that's in your phone.

May 25, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,572 of 2,420

The Laylas will still sound great out of your phone. An additional amp will improve them but don't think for a second that they will sound poor with just the amp that's in your phone.

Sure, but Laylas scale to end game level components. If you are only going to use mass market sources, it's not worth paying nearly $3K for Laylas. JH13 or Rosies would sound as good or better and only cost about a third. In fact paired directly with my DP-X1, JH Rosies sound great without the dark, veiled sound I get from the Laylas. Have no idea why other than we are talking 6 drivers versus 12 per side. When I use Rosies with a better source/amp, I don't get anything close to the jump in audio quality like the Laylas. That's not a bad thing, I've decided I can't risk traveling with my Layla setup as I've left it in the back of my airplane seat twice and luckily enough to retrieve LOL.

Back on to the equation of components - if you are going Layla, I would say it's pretty mandatory to pair with a high end source/amp. But yes, it will sound good on a phone too.

May 25, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #1,573 of 2,420
For my purposes, the ultimate solution is the Layla CIEM with the CDM and then I may feed lossless from my iPhone 6 and it'll be as good as it can get for IEM's with clarity, and sound stage, and even warmth, for piano and chamber classical music and symphonic.

"As good as it can get, like ever, physically in this Universe" :D is not going to happen until you buy and sell components to find out what that means for you. Ears and brains are different, but! If I could, right now, buy a new pair of custom Laylas, a silver Continental Dual Mono and a large silver iPhone 6 (that fits the CDM perfectly, size-wise) I would do that in second. I would look for the maximum storage version of the iPhone and a good lightning to CDM cable (just e-mail double helix cables and say what two components you want to connect?) I would also probably look for a really good silver cable to make the treble more aggressive on that combo, since I like aftermarket cables and a bit more aggressive treble. And a local artisan to make me a perfect little carry-case for the combo so I can not worry about weather and such while I go on walks.  The combination of the iPhone, the CDM and the Layla is an absolutely GORGEOUS piece of portable technology that would make me seriously question what I've done to deserve this instead of the billions who listen to speakers literally smash themselves in the mouth to produce sound-like air properties. 

If you have the money, get it. IMHO, because it's worth getting and I think it's a very stylish solution. But it will not be the best, most optimal ever for your requirements since that doesn't exist.

May 25, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #1,574 of 2,420
Thank you all so very much. I need this quality of knowledge and enthusiasm of endorsement to move from wondering to action. Now I'm ready to commit. Next step is ear molds and purchase. Thank you. Thank you.
Best to all,
Luke

May 25, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #1,575 of 2,420
Thank you all so very much. I need this quality of knowledge and enthusiasm of endorsement to move from wondering to action. Now I'm ready to commit. Next step is ear molds and purchase. Thank you. Thank you.
Best to all,
Luke

Good decision! You may want to get the Sonotone tubes from ALO now since they are in stock. Those have a nasty habit of selling out. Only about $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back