JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #1,531 of 2,420
The K10U, at least my original version, is a lot lighter and smaller then the current JH line up, so it stays in your ears much easier, and the same for getting aftermarket cables.  I don't know about the Angie, but in stock from the bass from K10 isn't as strong, but it REALY kicks once you amp it a little compare to the Roxanne with half bass.  Personally, I like the K10's treble over my Layla, but its mid is still a little behind from the Layla, so if you want vocal then stick with JH.
Funny how different everyone is, me personally I prefer the mids of the K10, but the treble of the Layla :)

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,532 of 2,420
Funny how different everyone is, me personally I prefer the mids of the K10, but the treble of the Layla
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to getting my K10's this week so I can add my 2 cents!

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #1,533 of 2,420
IMO, the lower mid of Layla is better, but the upper mid of K10 is better. K10 can be strident in certain harshly recorded metal / rock tracks, but K10 is better than Layla in audiophile recordings, especially the vocal ones. Overall I still prefer the Layla - a bit more versatile and "fun" in the bass department. I am always against a completely flat response curve since the human's ears don't have a flat curve, and, in fact, a sharp dip in the bass area - therefore I would prefer bass that is much heavier than the K10's - and that's why I ventured into stuff like ASG2.5 and XB90Ex. To many people they maybe too bass heavy. The reality is, these are essential to give you a flat curve when your brain perceives the sound (not when you hear it, because the ear's response curve is not flat, if you know what I mean).

Conclusion: Layla > K10 as an overall winner.  

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #1,534 of 2,420
Hey everyone, right now my main IEM is the JH Roxanne, but I'm considering switching to the JH Layla. My only hesitation is whether the Laylas might be too lacking in bass for my tastes. I normally keep the bass dials at around 1 o'clock on my Roxannes -- would the Layla be able to get as much bass, assuming of course that I push the dials near max?

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #1,535 of 2,420
Definitely not, so I think you will have to adjust to at least 3 o'clock to make up for it.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #1,536 of 2,420
I think Layla will have plenty of bass for you, especially if you keep you Roxanne's at 1:00. I agree 3:00 is probably where you would want it with Layla. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #1,537 of 2,420
Hey everyone, right now my main IEM is the JH Roxanne, but I'm considering switching to the JH Layla. My only hesitation is whether the Laylas might be too lacking in bass for my tastes. I normally keep the bass dials at around 1 o'clock on my Roxannes -- would the Layla be able to get as much bass, assuming of course that I push the dials near max?

Thanks!

The Layla turned up all the way has a LOT of bass, I think you'll be just fine getting it to the level you'd like with room to spare.

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #1,538 of 2,420

Thanks!

What do you feel is lacking with the Roxannes that you hope the Laylas can give you? Both are great IEMs but designed for different listening preferences.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,539 of 2,420
The Mojo thread is a crazy hellhole of headphone enthusiasts yelling at random for twenty posts an hour and the Pure II thread is a step too far in the opposite direction, so I'll report my findings here. Maybe they're of use to someone

What you've heard is correct -- this is the Pure II / Mojo and it's absolutely tremendous with the Laylas.

I've been looking for a perfect (for me) source for the Laylas. I think I might have found it. I've had the Mojo for months now, but alone it's amp section is unsatisfying for me. The Pure II arrived this week. It was suggested by people on this thread, on the Mojo thread, by Headfonia and in a couple of other places too. I haven't seen too many Pures around, and not for lack of stellar reviews. I think it's mostly got to do with their one month production + delivery time and the fact that units don't appear on eBay or Amazon.

Things got off to two false starts. First I had the wrong gain setting. A tip: use the medium gain. The low gain doesn't play well with Layla's crazy 12 driver system.

Then for the next three days I fed the Mojo straight from my laptop with a finicky USB cable. I still wasn't 100% sure if the Pure II outperforforms the Cayin C5. That was stupid-time for me. Tonight I borrowed an AK100ii and used a Silver Dragon toslink as optical out into the Mojo. Huge difference. I'm a man of words and the sound is hard to describe for me right now. If I say "perfect" I'd be

1) lying, coz' nothing ever is and the Chord Hugo (which I haven't heard) is surely better and has a wider soundstage than the Mojo and the Cavalli audio liquid spark yadda yadda, 8000 euros, Ak380 copper edition

2) "Perfect" is a personal and temporary quality.

Nonetheless, the combo is close enough to call it perfect tonight. The Mojo / Pure / Layla trio sounds like what people imagine end game super audio will sounds like. It doesn't surpass expectations, like a perfectly driven planar magnetic playing acoustic music does, it fulfills them. This is the brain-rollercoaster I've been dreaming of, even before I got into audiophile wankery. 

1) Nothing is a bottleneck for anything. No details are held back. The Mojo has a (within reason) perfect amount of details, the Pure II ads a volume knob and some dynamic impact to these details and the Layla performs them. No one drops the ball on anything.

2) For the first time since I got into hi-fi I'm not thinking about specific frequencies at all. The highs, mids, lows? What are those? The way the Pure II outputs sound into the Laylas, for me, is so uniformly good across the spectrum that I no longer distinguish treble quality from mids and so on. I realize I only think about treble extension if there's not enough of it, sibiliance if there is, mids forward or back if they're out of place and so on. I'd much rather think about actual qualities not shortcomings with this combo.

3) Bite is it's nr 1 quality. The sounds, albeit smooth, emerge with great intimacy and strength. With the Pure II, it's like the difference between a note being played and not played is accentuated somehow. Sounds appear out of the blackness in a more sudden, forceful manner. It is the antithesis of distant. Like a thrust of the lance. Totally unveiled.

4) The music is a moving, integrated whole, an organic machine. It doesn't feel like walking around in an explosion frozen in time, a museum exponat, like much of analytical hi fi. I can hear details everywhere, but the amp wants me to focus on what the mix wants me to focus on. Hi-fi tends to unravel music, especially balanced armature drivers do. I didn't even know great fidelity doesn't have to just hang in the air, I thought integrated wholeness was a quality of bad systems. The Pure II reintroduces a psychoacoustic pecking order to the instruments. This amp knows what it wants you to hear more and pushes those sounds first.

So, are there any shortcomings? I mean, in the entire Pure 2, Mojo, Layla chain?

The Layla cable could be better. (This is mostly a quality control, ergonomics and aesthetics issue I have with the original cable)

Snug tips should fix comfort issues on the Laylas. Looking into it.

The Mojo? I don't see anything wrong with. 2 hrs more battery life doesn't fit into the current physical reality I'm afraid.

The Pure II? Soundstage could be wider and deeper, of course, but it's in no way narrow or shallow now. Also, I can understand how much of the involving quality of the Pure II comes from exactly a tighter soundstage that doesn't draw too much attention to itself. 

There is one serious thing though, this combo is -- as of yet -- un-portable. You do not want to see what the ak100ii looks like, when it's riding piggyback on those two. It's hideous. As of now, two projects are in the works that might help me take this thing out for a ride. Chord is (hopefully still) working on an SD card reader module for the Mojo and Fiio is (also hopefully still) developing a low profile transporter they call the T3. Those two can't come too soon. I can't imagine how wonderful this trio will be in the fresh air, when summer comes. Waiting for the bus to come when the lilacs bloom.

I'm willing to wear a god damn fanny pack to make that happen.

May 2, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,541 of 2,420
I think Layla has good bass - but only when you use the comply tips with wax guard. Otherwise it is just so-so even at max settings, especially compared with some dynamic IEMs, ASG2.5 and XB90Ex for example.

May 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,543 of 2,420
May 4, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,544 of 2,420
How long did it take for Snugs to send you guys your custom tips after they received your impressions? I'm working with their branch in Minnesota and I haven't heard anything after two weeks.

May 4, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #1,545 of 2,420
  How long did it take for Snugs to send you guys your custom tips after they received your impressions? I'm working with their branch in Minnesota and I haven't heard anything after two weeks.

Two weeks, in general delivery terms, is absolutely nothing to get worried about.

On the other hand, I would very much appreciate snugs impressions, pictures, anything, since I'm about to make the leap too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back