JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #1,622 of 2,420
The CDM is a bit hot and heavy for portable use. I saw something about an amp by Continental with a single tube and much less heat called the CV5. Would this get same end result of superior SQ with Laylas if I go iPhone6 (OnkyoHF app)(ALAC)>CV5>Layla. I realize that I would be skipping the Continental DAC and just using the native iPhone DAC. Please advise if in going for true portability, I'd be sacrificing SQ. Thanks very much. Luke

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #1,623 of 2,420
Has anyone purchased the CIEM version of the Laylas and seen a difference in SQ from the UIEM with the same source-DAC/AMP-Layla setup?  I'm not sure which to get after trialing the Universal Laylas with the foam tips and CDM, it's already better than anything I've heard for classical piano/violin/orchestra.
Thanks.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,624 of 2,420
Does anyone have experience with a dual flange eartip on the Layla that is an exact fit?  Right now, I'm using the clear version from the Cardas EM5813 and it sounds good but comes off in my ear when I remove the phones.  Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

Also, please direct if this has been handled elsewhere - I did do a bit of googling prior to asking but could not find any definitive answers.

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #1,628 of 2,420
It will be because the foam, when compacted squashes against the treble bore

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #1,631 of 2,420
Has anyone purchased the CIEM version of the Laylas and seen a difference in SQ from the UIEM with the same source-DAC/AMP-Layla setup?  I'm not sure which to get after trialing the Universal Laylas with the foam tips and CDM, it's already better than anything I've heard for classical piano/violin/orchestra.
Thanks.

1- It is custom made.
2- Post purchase services are much better, even after the 1 year warranty you still can repair and have it deep cleaned ( which is essential since Layla both CIEM or UIEM have big pores and hard to clean )
3- better seal better sound
4- you get it directly from JH audio which is much more reputable than AK ( the collabration is just for the techs rights)
5- hard to get it sold but that shouldn't be considered in general if you are asking for TOTL CIEM.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #1,633 of 2,420
Thank you. I ordered the CIEM. Service people at JHA have been wonderful.

Congrats. One thing I am not sure with the custom version though - in universal version we needed to change the eartips to Comply to get the best results, especially for low mids and bass.  In the custom version, however, there is no choice.  If it sounds like the stock tip version then you can't boost up the bass like we do for universal. In any case, the Layla is a very good IEM. Paired with the AK380Cu, you get a really good combo - the best of the best of the best. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #1,634 of 2,420
Congrats. One thing I am not sure with the custom version though - in universal version we needed to change the eartips to Comply to get the best results, especially for low mids and bass.  In the custom version, however, there is no choice.  If it sounds like the stock tip version then you can't boost up the bass like we do for universal. In any case, the Layla is a very good IEM. Paired with the AK380Cu, you get a really good combo - the best of the best of the best. 

The bass/seal relation is already contained in the ciem since it is made to measure in accordance to his ears. So no problem in theory.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #1,635 of 2,420
I am not sure where I can buy the layla in London UK. I have checked out Harrods and Selfridges already but both of them dont sell the earphone but only the AK Music Players.

It seems the best way to purchase it here is from Amazon. But i am not familiar with the Amazon system, could anyone tell me the one in amazon's link below is real or might have a risk of fake?

Thanks A Lot!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Astell-Kern-Layla-Ear-Headphones/dp/B01AUVJ068

Users who are viewing this thread

Back