JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Sep 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #1,801 of 3,787
They are very nice and accommodating in my experience but they did lose mine and then searched the lab after i produced a tracking number.  They found them after about an hour, they had been there for three weeks for a slight refit and i didn't want to bug them but it was getting ridiculous.  When they found them that day they did them immediately and sent them out that day.  I read something similar that happened out here with someone else.  It may be a bit disorganized in there with the amount of orders and refits and i give them the benefit of the doubt.  My other tries at refits/reimpressions were quick and painless though.   I like to support a small company and the product is the best so you just deal with it as it comes.  

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #1,802 of 3,787
Just joining in the merry frey. I ordered some JH16's last week after reading through the 1,800 odd replies here. They have my molds and I'm just waiting for a delivery sometime next week. I can't wait - hoping I don't have any fit issues like some have experienced.

One question - are the JH16's solid acrylic with speakers embedded, or are the speakers rattling around in an acrylic shell? If they are free-moving does it cause any problems with vigorous exercise? 

Thanks

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #1,804 of 3,787
Isnthe inside of the shell solid though, or are they attached to the shell with air surrounding them?

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #1,806 of 3,787
There is no "rattle" but JHA doesn't use silicone filling unlike some other competitors in their pro-line of customs, only in their aviation product line.  It's completely unnecessary.  The only thing that can kill these is moisture thru the sound tubes, so you'll want to avoid excessive sweating seeping in during exercise as it can permanently damage the drivers and would not be covered under the 2-year warranty.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #1,807 of 3,787
Is there anything I can do to avoid getting sweat in the sound tubes? Obvious answer would be to jam a filter in the tip, but I'm worried that would negatively impact SQ.

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,808 of 3,787
No, the fit should take care of the seal to keep most of that out, but you'll want to keep a piece of cleaning cloth or fabric on you to immediately wipe off the shells after removing so that nothing can accidentally seep in there.  I use mine in the gym and so far haven't had any issues following this practice. 

After a while it all becomes second nature.  Tried using a Shure SE530 universal just to manage the risk, but after the JHA customs the Shure's sound quality was just too much of a letdown and eventually sold it.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #1,809 of 3,787

Just curious -
What competitors use silicone filling??  I was under the impression (from JHA) that using any sort of filler around the drivers would not allow the drivers to work properly.  So I just assumed that they were all like this (no filling).
Quote:
There is no "rattle" but JHA doesn't use silicone filling unlike some other competitors in their pro-line of customs, only in their aviation product line.  It's completely unnecessary

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #1,810 of 3,787

Quote:
Just curious -
What competitors use silicone filling??  I was under the impression (from JHA) that using any sort of filler around the drivers would not allow the drivers to work properly.  So I just assumed that they were all like this (no filling).

ACS and Sensaphonics both produce silicon IEMs. I am not sure if each is hollow or filled.

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #1,812 of 3,787

Quote:
We're not talking about the outside shell material....are we?  I though warp08 was talking about the inside (filling) part??   I know there are companies that use soft silicone.

Yes, I discussed this with Jerry Harvey back at Can Jam.  There is no benefit of doing it whatsoever, in terms of sonics or longevity.  In fact, it will make it harder to do refits, should there be necessary.  Some people like the look, that's all.  Silicone is cheap.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #1,813 of 3,787
Squeee! My JH16's have shipped. They won't arrive till the 25th though. I think I need some antidepressants or something to make it that long.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #1,814 of 3,787
I ordered a set of JH16pros and I have to say I love them! I was a bit worried about  how deep the bass was going to be, but to my relief its just fine. Not sure whether its my source material, or source, but the bass doesn't seem to be all that overwhelming. It's just right I would say. Thanks again for having such a great forum and thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back