JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Oct 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #1,831 of 3,787

Quote:
Magic?

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I had Twag cable for some time, but I didnt trace burn in, just put them on many hours playing.

You didn't notice because of the way you started listening, the improvement was gradual and will be for hundreds of hours of listening time.   I always listen for a while out of the box and then let it burn in for a few weeks on a separate system without listening.  That is how I best notice the differences.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #1,832 of 3,787

Quote:

Everyone with Twag's, will it decrease or increase the bass?

It depends on the application, but typically it adds a bit to the lower bass extension and enhances its texture  (and other segments of the audible spectrum) over most stock cables, sometimes considerably more.  Again, it depends on what you're comparing to and the capabilities of the rest of the system.

If you're considering a TWag cable, there is a 30-day money back guarantee Whiplash offers if you're not satisfied for whatever reason with your cable.  I spoke to Craig Sanborn at Can Jam and he told me there was 1 (one) customer who could not hear the difference out of many hundreds of these cables sold.

BTW, I have zero financial interest in Whiplash Audio or any other forum sponsor.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #1,833 of 3,787

Quote:
Or you can just send an email to Jerry Harvey and ask his or his staff's opinion about TWag cables.  Don't just take my word for it.

Warp - sorry, I might have come across wrong there. I'm terrible at cracking jokes.

I do have a lot of faith in high-quality cables making a difference, but I'm more skeptical about those cables burning in. I'm actually quite interested in the TWag Elite cables, and as soon as I can find someone local who has them so I can give them a shot I'm expecting to upgrade to that.

That being said I do keep an open mind. While I'm expecting the TWag cable to make a big difference, I'm not expecting the cable to get better with age. If it does indeed burn-in I'll be impressed and pleased and gladly eat my hat. I've been wrong before, and I'll certainly be wrong again.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #1,834 of 3,787
Quote:
If you're considering a TWag cable, there is a 30-day money back guarantee Whiplash offers if you're not satisfied for whatever reason with your cable. 

I didn't know this guarantee existed. I may forego trying to find someone local and just plunk down the $300 on one and try it. If it doesn't satisfy me I'll send it back, but I'm not expecting it to disappoint.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,835 of 3,787
Side question about the TWag Elite cable - how sturdy is it? Best for at home or in office use, or able to take a bit of a beating while out and about, riding the bus, etc?

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #1,836 of 3,787

Quote:
Indeed. Sadly, it is this public lack of understanding regarding basic sciences that enables scammers. That, and a fanatical, almost religious zeal, regarding the virtues of custom cables and other "audiophile" tomfoolery. Do you remember that clown at whiplash audio who, until recently, was selling a $500 usb cable!? And let's not forget the $100 audiophile fuse. Ridiculous. Some people would benefit from remediating middle school physics.

Stop throwing "physics" at people when you don't really know Physics. And high school physics is definitely falling short when one tries to deal with the problem at hand.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #1,837 of 3,787
looks great.  i was thinking the same thing too, the bass.  i would never call it overwhelming.  i mean it has enough bass but i thinking/wanting just a little bit more.  i've been using it for about a month now. 

Quote:
I ordered a set of JH16pros and I have to say I love them! I was a bit worried about  how deep the bass was going to be, but to my relief its just fine. Not sure whether its my source material, or source, but the bass doesn't seem to be all that overwhelming. It's just right I would say. Thanks again for having such a great forum and thread!

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #1,838 of 3,787

Quote:
Or you can just send an email to Jerry Harvey and ask his or his staff's opinion about TWag cables.  Don't just take my word for it.

That's easy - most (if not all) of their demo IEM at RMAF were using TWag cables, including balanced ones with the Protector.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #1,839 of 3,787

Quote:
looks great.  i was thinking the same thing too, the bass.  i would never call it overwhelming.  i mean it has enough bass but i thinking/wanting just a little bit more.  i've been using it for about a month now. 

Wow you want more bass on the 16's? Which headphones are you used to listening to? Perhaps what you're wanting is the mid bass hump that so many earphones have. I'm not sure how the JH16's can have more bass, it would throw the sound signature out of balance. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #1,840 of 3,787
On the Twag subject with these 16's from my own experience now with pre-apprehension on how good they would sound for the momey i was surprised at how much improvement there was straight out of the box compared to the stock that i am going to get some TWag interconnects next. 

Still burning in (around only 75 hours so far) have noticed a slight change since, but they have changed my listening experience profoundly since and this was spending around a good three months with the stock cable before i got my Twag om's.

You think you have been taken to another level when you buy the 16's (generally the very top for a pair of iem's) but with the TWag it's another level that opens up to how good the 16's really can sound to get the full potential from them.

Have decided to plaster my artwork which i was meant to of posted around two months ago when it had the original artwork improved due to a bad scan on the devil.

Hopefully will be pairing the 16's with a ibasso Toucan amp & possibly Boomslang soon, cannot wait for that.  

Even though i listen to these through my Naim head amp at home I still enjoy the 16's hp out on my Sony X to be honest which is testimony to both the 16's (very easy to drive) and  quality of the built in digital amp on the X.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #1,841 of 3,787
My original 16s had a huge amount of bass- so much so that occasionally it would be too much on some songs. I just got my refit back, and they don't have anywhere near the same amount of bass as the original set. I'm trying to work out if it is a fit related issue, or whether the change in nozzle angle caused it.

I've read that other people on here wanted more bass any Adam altered the lengths of the tubes rather than simply add more coats of acrylic though.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #1,842 of 3,787
UPS is taunting me. My JH16's have arrived in Seattle, but won't be delivered until Monday. I called and they said they wouldn't allow me to go get them from the sort facility tonight because they won't hold a package until at least one delivery attempt has been made.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #1,843 of 3,787

Quote:
UPS is taunting me. My JH16's have arrived in Seattle, but won't be delivered until Monday. I called and they said they wouldn't allow me to go get them from the sort facility tonight because they won't hold a package until at least one delivery attempt has been made.

That's why I like USPS, they deliver on Saturdays and the cost for shipping items are also much cheaper. I wanted to ship a package overnight via UPS and insure it and the cost came out to about $50.00. The same item cost me about $25.00 to ship overnight via USPS and insurance was included.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #1,844 of 3,787

Quote:
My original 16s had a huge amount of bass- so much so that occasionally it would be too much on some songs. I just got my refit back, and they don't have anywhere near the same amount of bass as the original set. I'm trying to work out if it is a fit related issue, or whether the change in nozzle angle caused it.

I've read that other people on here wanted more bass any Adam altered the lengths of the tubes rather than simply add more coats of acrylic though.

My original 16s didn't have much more bass than my 13s so I was a bit disappointed when I first received them. The fit was bad so I sent them back and when I received them about a week later the amount of bass they had was astounding. I'm not sure what was done but I know that if the original fit was good I would have been left thinking that the 16s weren't much better than the 13s in the bass department when actually they aren't even comparable. I did notice that they messed with the drivers because they were in a different location when I shipped them originally. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,845 of 3,787
yes, i do.  that's why i chose the 16 instead of 13.  i heard the demo version and i though 13 has just enough bass.  as for headphones, my go to headphone is dt990/600

Quote:
Wow you want more bass on the 16's? Which headphones are you used to listening to? Perhaps what you're wanting is the mid bass hump that so many earphones have. I'm not sure how the JH16's can have more bass, it would throw the sound signature out of balance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back