JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Sep 26, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #1,786 of 3,787
Are you sure the drivers inside of the 13s and 16s are labeled with the specific version of IEM they are in?  I have a feeling they aren't. 

However, you're right when you say that the 13s and 16s use the same drivers with the 16s having the extra low set.

Check warp08's or jude's review on the 16s for reference.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #1,788 of 3,787
i checked the reviews and jude and warp do not state whether or not the 13s and 16s use the same drivers.  my apologies.

however, i did check the jhaudio site and they dont say anything about using the same or different drivers, just that the 16s have an extra pair for low frequency.

just because the two IEMs have a different number of drivers does not state that they are different.

anyhow, i just emailed adam so hopefully he can clarify.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #1,789 of 3,787
I'm fairly sure the I read somewhere that Jerry Harvey stated the 16's use different drivers than the 13's but I have no idea where that was at now. Regardless, the issue isn't the number on the drivers but the serial number on the IEM's acrylic shell, BoogieWoogie's previous pair would have had JH16 - #### but the new pair says JH13 - ####.

BoogieWoogie, have you confirmed with Adam that they did indeed mess up and build 13's and it's not just a printing error on the shell?

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #1,792 of 3,787
Does anyone know which part of the sound each of the three tubes provides? I'm interested to know as the lengths have changed slightly after a re-fit. In both sets I've had the middle one is recessed, and the top and bottom ones are the same. Thanks.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #1,793 of 3,787
"
I'm fairly sure the I read somewhere that Jerry Harvey stated the 16's use different drivers than the 13's but I have no idea where that was at now. Regardless, the issue isn't the number on the drivers but the serial number on the IEM's acrylic shell, BoogieWoogie's previous pair would have had JH16 - #### but the new pair says JH13 - ####.

BoogieWoogie, have you confirmed with Adam that they did indeed mess up and build 13's and it's not just a printing error on the shell?"

That's right I'm talking about the label on the acrylic that identifys what model you have.
No I didn't confirmed with adam yet but its pretty evident by the sound you can't miss it
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #1,794 of 3,787
That's right I'm talking about the label on the acrylic that identifys what model you have.
No I didn't confirmed with Adam yet but its pretty evident by the sound you just can't mis
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//wink.gif" title="
wink.gif
" width="" />

Quote:
elnero said:

BoogieWoogie, have you confirmed with Adam that they did indeed mess up and build 13's and it's not just a printing error on the shell?

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #1,795 of 3,787

Quote:
i picked up my jh16(#3751) last night from the local dealer.  maybe too much hype?  or maybe i'm more of a headphone guy?  nice sounding ear piece but, the bass, isn't what i expected.  i know i got a good fit, they're not my first custom iem.  i'm not saying it lack bass, it just i want more....luckily i didn't choose 13....

Maybe a dynamic versus armature thing as well. A lot of headphones use dynamic drivers (there are some notable exceptions), which are like the speakers in your home stereo. The JH16 is an armature based system, which are a like having a bunch of little variable-pitch tuning forks. The bass sounds different for sure.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,798 of 3,787
Hello all -

Just registered here.  I stumbled across this great thread, and it has been an outstanding source of information!

I have a question for all you active users out there...
How would you say the 'seal' holds up over long sessions?  I read a post (somewhere in this enormous thread) where someone stated they would need to give a push on the monitors to re-seal from time to time.  Can any of you confirm this? 

I'm getting very close to purchasing the 16s.  However, isolation is a concern for me...  I am a musician (drummer) that has been using in ear monitoring systems for about 10 years.  I've used primarily (don't laugh) the old shure e1s.  The reason being - the e1s seemed to isolate the best with the yellow foam sleeves.  I even had two sets of westone sleeves made for these headphones (about 8 years ago) - and reverted back to using the yellow foam sleeves.  The custom sleeves would loose their seal in the middle of long shows, and I can't have that.  I have since bought the new shure se425, and I'm unhappy with them.  I've decided to up my game here...I want killer sound (and after extensive research, I've landed on the jh-16s) - however, I need to make sure that I'm not going to have to fight seal issues while I play. 

I'm hoping to hear that the seal never breaks once inserted - but I need to know if this is just a pipe dream!  Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated...

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,799 of 3,787
Been a while since i have posted in this thread, was meant to report back with my second refit and redone artwork from couple of months ago at least now which lead to a third refit which i think is how it should be now and will post some pics of them soon.

Sorry to hear Boogie Woogie about what has happened to yours : (  

By what i have read last couple of pages of talk about the drivers between the 13's and 16's is that they are different and use different drivers, if anyone remembers who ordered around the time the Icelandic volcano decided to spew it's gut's over Europe for a few weeks it delayed and backlogged 16pro orders even further because they could not get the drivers in to complete them and done discounted offers more often for the 13's to customers as the JHA crew where twiddling their thumbs due to everyone wanting the 16's negating from 13 sales so thus they had plenty of 13 drivers in stock.

Also the 16's where they have to really cram in those drivers there are a set further on down the canal section compared to the 13 version.

Even though i have had my 16's for a few months now i only just received my overmolded TWags at the weekend for them and i could not believe the difference was like night and day! and this is before it has the 300 hours burn in time that is reported on these. To say i am over the moon is an understatement, the 16's are addictive even with the stock cable, but now with the TWag it is very hard to take these out even more so than ever!

And, yes the 16's bass is unmistakable compared to the 13's, so just from SQ alone between the two you would know if you got a pair of 13's back instead.

Hope it get's sorted out for you Boogie Woogie by the way ; ) 

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #1,800 of 3,787
That is crazy, and unacceptable, that they would mix up your 16s with 13s on a refit.  I'm guessing they had to redo the shells altogether, and maybe lost the original info that your order was for 16s.  I sent my right earpiece back with a new impression, and they came back regular size and not "low profile" like my original order (and left earpiece) was.

I think they'll fix both of our issues, but it's strange that they get the order info mixed up or lost so easily.  It seems like customer service is more responsive lately than back in April through June or so, maybe the flood of orders has subsided.  But when the JH-3A is released, it'll be back on again...

Someone mentioned tube lengths, I'm also interested to learn more about this.  Apparently the lengths are custom designed for each person's ears, but it does seem a bit random how the tube lengths can very from left ear to right, and from one fit adjustment to the next.  Why would the tube lengths be different for a person's left ear and right ear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back