JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #901 of 3,787

Quote:
Yes, that's absolutely right. The differences were most noticeable the first time I put them in since I was trying to evaluate the purchase relative to the 13s. Thereafter the differences have become exceedingly subtle.

Re: 13s vs. 16s as first IEMs, I would definitely pick the 16s at MSRPs. When the 13s have their deep discounts I would handily pick them over the 16s if I was getting a first custom. I think the 16s are easily worth $50 over the 13s, but when it comes to another Benjamin on top of that the 13s become an obvious choice.

Well, i look forward to the 16's then, still did not make it easy with having four day's with those demo's and even after finally making a choice, the 16's over the 13's wondered if i would long term enjoy that extra bass depth in the sig of the 16's with the extra bass presence?

But if your saying even in that extra headroom between the 16 to the 13's becomes less noticeable, more subtle then maybe i have nothing to worry about in that regard.

May 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #902 of 3,787

Quote:
Well, i look forward to the 16's then, still did not make it easy with having four day's with those demo's and even after finally making a choice, the 16's over the 13's wondered if i would long term enjoy that extra bass depth in the sig of the 16's with the extra bass presence?

But if your saying even in that extra headroom between the 16 to the 13's becomes less noticeable, more subtle then maybe i have nothing to worry about in that regard.

Yes. It's strange because both of them sound very correct (if this is at all possible).

May 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #904 of 3,787

Just curious as to why you are considering this? Do you think you would not be happy with a 13?

wonder if they named the JH16, say the JH12 instead, people may then say, the 13 is the better phone for audiophile and the 12 is for stage use mainly? Would be an interesting social experiment. 

there has been lots of talks about these 2 earphones. i thought the only difference was the amount of bass. but now, I see people saying that their sound sig is different. so this led me to the question. and I doubt any rational company will give a model number which is smaller than it's predecessor. it's almost the same as Apple coming out with an improved version of a 17" MacBook pro and calls it the MacBook.

May 19, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #905 of 3,787

Quote:
 I doubt any rational company will give a model number which is smaller than it's predecessor. it's almost the same as Apple coming out with an improved version of a 17" MacBook pro and . andcalls it the MacBook.

I was just kidding with this part, kind of. What I meant was, If Jerry was really serious that the JH16 was for primary stage use first, and the JH13 was still for audiophile first, (which I think is what he said originally) and he named the JH16, say JHSTAGE instead, would as many peeps jump at the 16 or think it was "better" for them as audiophiles? It's just a curious question I contemplated as I have heard neither, yet, (13 soon..woo hoo) and ordered based off reading reviews, asking questions, etc only....

May 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #906 of 3,787
To my ears the JH16s are capable of delivering an enhanced overall listening experience across the entire sound spectrum over the JH13s in terms of transparency, visceral impact and bass rendering particularly in live recordings. The enhanced bass rendering is immediately noticeable while the others are more subtle and may not be apparent on most average recordings. They are both excellent customs.

May 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #907 of 3,787
Quote:
i thought the only difference was the amount of bass. but now, I see people saying that their sound sig is different.

For me it is the former. That doesn't mean it isn't easy to tell them apart -- but the difference is exceedingly subtle. I do feel the JH13s are the more transparent of the two while the JH16s are a little more engaging*, but this assessment holds true only relative to eachother -- either of them on their own sound "right" in a "this is the way the recording is supposed to sound" kind of way.

*This isn't a statement on sound signature. This is a direct consequence of the strengthened bass response of the 16s. I can understand it could be easy to get the two mixed up -- but rest assured, the only differences perceptible to my ears are below ~100Hz.

May 20, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #909 of 3,787

Quote:
oh ok. maybe I'll drop by my local audio store and give both of 'em another test and see if it's possible for them to email JHA to make the change. afterall, I think my impressions are still in transit.

are there any local audio stores in the US that have the universal JH 13's and 16's to audition?  i've read a couple of posts that mention people trying them out...

May 20, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #910 of 3,787
Hey,

I got mine yesterday.  I have only listened for about 2 or 3 hours...

At this time, I think I'm still trying to wrap my head around them.  These are my first customs, so things feel sort of foreign to me.  I'll be back with impressions soon enough

May 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #911 of 3,787

Quote:
Hey,

I got mine yesterday.  I have only listened for about 2 or 3 hours...

At this time, I think I'm still trying to wrap my head around them.  These are my first customs, so things feel sort of foreign to me.  I'll be back with impressions soon enough

Nice, congrats.  What was your order # and date of receipt of your impressions?  Just trying to gauge what their production rate is. 

Looking forward to your impressions!

May 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #913 of 3,787
Mine are shipping to me right now.  Should have them on monday
normal_smile .gif

My order number is 1477

May 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #915 of 3,787
Yes I got the "in the lab" 2 days ago and the shipping email yesterday

"This message was sent to you at the request of JERRY HARVEY AUDIO LLC to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back