JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #931 of 3,787
Wow, nice artwork.  Do you have any thoughts on how these compare to your 13s and UE18s?  What sources and genres do you think each sound best with?  Are you using balanced and/or TWag cables with any of them?  If so, what improvements do you notice over the stock cables?

May 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #932 of 3,787
super_fied, congrats on getting them.  They look terrific!  Like others, I'd love to read your comparisons with your other customs.  

To anyone with experience with customs, how long does it take for the cables to oxidize and turn green?  I'm not looking forward to it.  Keep in mind, I won't be sweating in these, but my skin does get oily over time.  I would get the Null clear cable, but I've read their service is disappointing.  

May 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #933 of 3,787

Quote:
super_fied, congrats on getting them.  They look terrific!  Like others, I'd love to read your comparisons with your other customs.  

To anyone with experience with customs, how long does it take for the cables to oxidize and turn green?  I'm not looking forward to it.  Keep in mind, I won't be sweating in these, but my skin does get oily over time.  I would get the Null clear cable, but I've read their service is disappointing.  

About 3 weeks.

May 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #934 of 3,787

Quote:
Evangelion X JH Audio Customs.

Just received my 16s today and I must say that they are exceptional. Build was top notch as was artwork as well. Jaime and Zac are really THE standard to deal with in the IEM industry. Very very good service and great communication!

Never been more pleased than compared to my experience with UE. 

*jealous*  curious, how do they look in your ears?

May 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #935 of 3,787
I don't know how you guys can do this waiting.  My impressions got to JH and they were processing them on Tues and now it is only Sat and I am on edge already.  I was biding my time until the wait time was down and kind of on the fence still......forever it seemed, first for the 13s then the 16s.  When they had that sale on the 13s on the 13th I jumped.  Jamie said they would be doing them or be done with them(not clear on which) by the end of the week.  I had called because there seemed to be a color problem and at that point I changed to overnight delivery. Not sure what that meant by end of the week but original quote was 5 day turn around.  If that means business days it means shipping next Tues and I get them Wednesday but we will see.

I would be at my wits end waiting like all of you, you must be saints.
wink.gif

May 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #936 of 3,787

Quote:
I don't know how you guys can do this waiting.  My impressions got to JH and they were processing them on Tues and now it is only Sat and I am on edge already.  I was biding my time until the wait time was down and kind of on the fence still......forever it seemed, first for the 13s then the 16s.  When they had that sale on the 13s on the 13th I jumped.  Jamie said they would be doing them or be done with them(not clear on which) by the end of the week.  I had called because there seemed to be a color problem and at that point I changed to overnight delivery. Not sure what that meant by end of the week but original quote was 5 day turn around.  If that means business days it means shipping next Tues and I get them Wednesday but we will see.

I would be at my wits end waiting like all of you, you must be saints.
wink.gif

The audio industry is all about patience. I waited a couple of months for my HF-2s. People wait quite a long time during amp and DAC pre-orders. The within-the-week turnaround for the JH13s surprised me in this regard. If you ever get into home audio the wait times can be a nightmare, but since the HF-2 nothing has really negatively surprised me.

May 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #937 of 3,787
do they print the artwork now on the faceplate?from the pic above^^ and another pic on facebook,it seems that it is printed and not lasered or engraved.i will put  pretty complex 2 artworks on each side and i dont want it to look like it is printed on top.
also what case will be shipped with it?is it the black carbon fibre?i like it more than the white(owter?) one because of the compact size.

May 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #939 of 3,787

Quote:
I don't know how you guys can do this waiting.  My impressions got to JH and they were processing them on Tues and now it is only Sat and I am on edge already.
wink.gif

The JH16s are better than the DX1000s, but they have not made me feel the need to sell my DX1000s.  You have a really good rig already, so I suspect you will feel the same way (unless you are underwhelmed by the HD800s).

Out of curiosity, do you plan on using the Zana Deux to drive the JH13s?  I would love to read your impressions of that combination.  I have been thinking of ordering a Zana Deux, but am not confident that it would be totally quiet with IEMs. 

May 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #940 of 3,787

Quote:
The audio industry is all about patience. I waited a couple of months for my HF-2s. People wait quite a long time during amp and DAC pre-orders. The within-the-week turnaround for the JH13s surprised me in this regard. If you ever get into home audio the wait times can be a nightmare, but since the HF-2 nothing has really negatively surprised me.

Actually I waited about five months for my Zana Duex headphone amplifier so I have been there.  I was the first to sign up for one of the production runs.

May 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #941 of 3,787

Quote:
The JH16s are better than the DX1000s, but they have not made me feel the need to sell my DX1000s.  You have a really good rig already, so I suspect you will feel the same way (unless you are underwhelmed by the HD800s).

Out of curiosity, do you plan on using the Zana Deux to drive the JH13s?  I would love to read your impressions of that combination.  I have been thinking of ordering a Zana Deux, but am not confident that it would be totally quiet with IEMs. 

I wasn't planning on doing much listening with the Zana Duex, it is not made for iems and is tailored to a higher ohm HP.  Even the Lisa lll has this same issue.  I was going to try my Pico(full sized) and my Hornet M for starters and maybe just experiment with the larger two for a test and see.  If the Pico or Hornet don't work out I may make my way toward the Protector eventually.  I feel that I will mainly use these for out and about in that I have the two full sized with the Zana at home.

May 22, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #942 of 3,787

Quote:
Wow, nice artwork.  Do you have any thoughts on how these compare to your 13s and UE18s?  What sources and genres do you think each sound best with?  Are you using balanced and/or TWag cables with any of them?  If so, what improvements do you notice over the stock cables?

Quote:

Thanks guys, the printing is top notch and easily rivals that of UE's own printing. I used to think UE was the one player to beat in the aesthetics department, but JHA just beat it and for a price way way lesser. I'm sure you guys saw my UE 18's artwork in the UE 18 thread and thought that was pretty good. Well, JHA exceeded my expectations far beyond anything. The customs look even better in real life and everyone who saw it was going on about how well done they are.

That being said, I do miss the initial days as well when they did hand painting as well.(Those are evident in my 13s) Lends a sort of favor if you will.

In terms of the 3 customs I have/had,(I've returned the 18s for a full refund since UE was being a jackass to me-they forced a refund on me)  I will say simply, the 13s, 16s and 18s all have their characteristics. The reason why I went for the 18s initially when I first had the 13s was because I wanted to experience a sound signature from Ultimate Ears that wasn't necessarily from Jerry Harvey. I figured that it was a risk worth taking.

I wasn't disappointed with the 18s, they clearly shine. Two main impressions, I felt that they brought out details way way better, very analytical compared to my 13s and the soundstage was huge!(I particularly loved the 18s with the RSA Protector) But the 18s don't pair well with certain amps like the TTVJ slim, whereas the 13s paired well with almost any portable amp I tried(Probably because of its more neutral response)

In terms of the 13s vs the 16s, I don't know about you guys, but I felt that besides the lows, the mids on my 16s shine through a lot more than my 13s. It feels funny but I actually like the 16s as a "vocals" custom-the mids are so rich and lush on these babies. To anyone who says they are similiar, I'd really beg to differ. The 16s are definitely much more fun to have on in your ears.

I wasn't convinced at first BEFORE I tried the 16s. I only tried them when my friend mentioned that they were different. Within 10 mins of trying, I made my impressions. I'm glad I did, if not I would have to endure the jabbing from my girlfriend whom I made the 16s for way back in feb. 8 weeks is a mighty long time to wait.

These are pretty rough impressions, you guys already have much more detailed impressions from fellow head-fiers. 

Quote:

*jealous*  curious, how do they look in your ears?

hey fellow Eva fan- let's just say Rei is very happy and smiling away in my ear.
darthsmile.gif

May 22, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #943 of 3,787

Quote:
artwork looks great on those. this wait is killing me i am tempted to just forget about it and cancel my order. i am starting to second guess it :frowning2:

Don't be silly and cancel your order. Good things often come to those that wait. You wouldn't want to go with UE. While the 18s are fantastic in their own right, the after sales service for the custom division blows.

I have their emails to prove it.
smile_phones.gif

May 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #944 of 3,787

Quote:
Thanks guys, the printing is top notch and easily rivals that of UE's own printing. I used to think UE was the one player to beat in the aesthetics department, but JHA just beat it and for a price way way lesser. I'm sure you guys saw my UE 18's artwork in the UE 18 thread and thought that was pretty good. I can now safely say that JHA now rivals

That being said, I do miss the initial days as well when they did hand painting as well.(Those are evident in my 13s) Lends a sort of favor if you will.

In terms of the 3 customs I have/had,(I've returned the 18s for a full refund since UE was being a jackass to me-they forced a refund on me)  I will say simply, the 13s, 16s and 18s all have their characteristics. The reason why I went for the 18s initially when I first had the 13s was because I wanted to experience a sound signature from Ultimate Ears that wasn't necessarily from Jerry Harvey. I figured that it was a risk worth taking.

I wasn't disappointed with the 18s, they clearly shine. Two main impressions, I felt that they brought out details way way better, very analytical compared to my 13s and the soundstage was huge!(I particularly loved the 18s with the RSA Protector) But the 18s don't pair well with certain amps like the TTVJ slim, whereas the 13s paired well with almost any portable amp I tried(Probably because of its more neutral response)

In terms of the 13s vs the 16s, I don't know about you guys, but I felt that besides the lows, the mids on my 16s shine through a lot more than my 13s. It feels funny but I actually like the 16s as a "vocals" custom-the mids are so rich and lush on these babies. To anyone who says they are similiar, I'd really beg to differ. The 16s are definitely much more fun to have on in your ears.

I wasn't convinced at first BEFORE I tried the 16s. I only tried them when my friend mentioned that they were different. Within 10 mins of trying, I made my impressions. I'm glad I did, if not I would have to endure the jabbing from my girlfriend whom I made the 16s for way back in feb. 8 weeks is a mighty long time to wait.

These are pretty rough impressions, you guys already have much more detailed impressions from fellow head-fiers. 

hey fellow Eva fan- let's just say Rei is very happy and smiling away in my ear.
darthsmile.gif

Quote:

I forgot to answer this part. I'm using TWag on all of them. I have the pico slim and protector for them.My pico amp/dac is on its way out as I already have the Lavry DA11 for a DAC function.

The TWag is a cable in its own league, it brings out definition to the sound spectrum and rounds the bass up a lot more nicely.  The stock cable sounds a lot more thinny in comparison to the TWag.  

I'm using quite a number of sources to drive the customs actually-the iMod, Hifiman, iPod and even the iPhone.I'll also be using the incoming RSA Apache to drive my customs in full balanced mode.(Got a TWag balanced cable ready for them)

For the 13s, pretty much any genre can do well with them. They're relatively flat in response so I just use the amp that I feel will suit my music best. The 13s really are like a chameleon, they take on the characteristics of the amp particularly well. I love the ttvj slim with the 13s but HATED the 18s with it.

For the 16s, I can't conclusively say which genre is best for it (for me personally) as I only had them for one day. But I'm beginning to see that I will reach out for them when I want to listen to vocal heavy stuff. The mids baby, the mids! Really engaging!

And I used to think the 18+protector combo was quite the killer. I can see myself using the protector for the 16s. Wonderful combination.

May 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #945 of 3,787

Quote:
I wasn't disappointed with the 18s, they clearly shine. Two main impressions, I felt that they brought out details way way better, very analytical compared to my 13s and the soundstage was huge!

I'm extremely surprised by this statement. I should've gotten the UE18s in lieu of the JH16s in this case.

I notice that you and warped08 both noted substantial differences between the JH13 and JH16, but you guys also use the aftermarket TWag cables. I suspect the TWag does more for the JH16 than it does for the 18 for whatever reason, because my experiences err more to the sides of jude's (exactly like the 13s with extra sub-100hz grunt) and I use solely the provided cables. The JH13s and JH16s do, after all, have different crossovers, drivers, impedances, and sensitivities. I would readily believe the TWag improves the 16 more substantially than it does the 13, though this is not a theory I am ready to invest in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back