JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #646 of 3,787

Quote:
Out in the city the bass is more adversely affected by the (attenuated) ambient noise than the other parts of the frequency range. My JH earpieces definitely isolate less than my Etymotic ER-4Ps did.

Agreed.  Airplanes are the same way for me.  I also used to have ER-4Ps which isolated very well.  I currently use GR8s on flights and for sleeping since they're very small and isolate well with deep insertion.

May 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #648 of 3,787
On the topic of isolation, I've get very good isolation with the large Comply's that the W3's ship with.  In fact, I've found them to be better than any Shure olive and significantly better than the "bullet" tips or the more rounded rubber earpieces.  The triple flange were second best for me, but the Comply's were the only ones I felt really lived up to the 20+ db isolation spec. 

What's the consensus on the JH's or other acrylic customs?  Are they closer to the comply's for isolation, or more like the round rubber tips (not as isolating?) 

It's not a big concern for me either way, but I found my UM-56 to be somewhere a little less than the triple flange.  I feel like that might be a fit issue since I've felt they were a little small ever since I got them.  I'm hoping my JH16's come out with a little bit better fit and isolation, near the level of the Comply's, but maybe I'm dreaming.

May 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #649 of 3,787
Ah, default avatars... so many surprises on the new Head-fi (whch overall I quite like).

As regards isolation, my understanding is that nothing else matches the Etymotics with their deep insertion triple flange configuration. As to how the JH isolate compared with W3s, UM3Xs, Triple-fi's etc. with their various tips, that is an interesting question.

May 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #650 of 3,787

Quote:
On the topic of isolation, I've get very good isolation with the large Comply's that the W3's ship with.  In fact, I've found them to be better than any Shure olive and significantly better than the "bullet" tips or the more rounded rubber earpieces.  The triple flange were second best for me, but the Comply's were the only ones I felt really lived up to the 20+ db isolation spec. 

What's the consensus on the JH's or other acrylic customs?  Are they closer to the comply's for isolation, or more like the round rubber tips (not as isolating?) 

It's not a big concern for me either way, but I found my UM-56 to be somewhere a little less than the triple flange.  I feel like that might be a fit issue since I've felt they were a little small ever since I got them.  I'm hoping my JH16's come out with a little bit better fit and isolation, near the level of the Comply's, but maybe I'm dreaming.

Well the JH earpieces isolate worse than any IEM I've ever owned except the IE 8 and ADDIEM. They isolate considerably less than the Altec Lansing iM716 with Shure soft flex tips, or the Etymotic ER4-P with triple flanges or yellow foams. They also isolate less than the TF10 pro with foams -- didn't try those with any other tips. On the flipside I've grown used to the isolation (I'd say -20dB attenuation is about right) and they're supremely comfortable.

I went through two refits with my JH13s. The first refit (middle of the three) isolated a little better but was too tight around the ear and uncomfortable for longer sessions.

May 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #651 of 3,787
3XO, that's very interesting.  My initial hunch was that something so solid like acrylic, even though it's custom molded, wouldn't be able to isolate as well as a dense foam.  I wasn't even thinking about a bad fit, per se, but just my un-scientific feeling that dense foam would be more of a damper than the mostly hollow earpiece of the JH's. 

Can others who now feel satisfied with their fit chime in with their experiences, maybe? 

Also, for those who have been through the process, is most of the wait for the JH's spent in the "earmolds received" status?  As in, do you spend a couple weeks in "earmolds received" and once you get the "in the lab" notification it's only a few more days?

Thanks!

May 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #652 of 3,787

eek.gif
 I am surprised by this information that the JHpros do not have as good as isolation as other universal tips, i thought this was one of the benefits getting custom mold for the ear.

JH states a -26db isolation for their pros so it either means the fit is not 100% perfect for the user which is what i am dreading when i get mine or JHA are telling porky's about their stats on isolation?

I used to love my Shure SE530 with yellow foamies tips and that was the most isolation (& comfort) i ever had from a universal.

So are you guys trying to say that my JHpros when i get them will not isolate as well as my SE530's did with the yellow foams? 
frown.gif
confused.gif

Can you tell now i got this worried sign going on!

May 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #653 of 3,787
They do not isolate as well as universal foams. It's really not an issue though unless you are in a very loud environment, as they still isolate enough to easily hear music and eliminate background noise.

May 10, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #654 of 3,787

Quote:FortisFlyer75
So are you guys trying to say that my JHpros when i get them will not isolate as well as my SE530's did with the yellow foams?

Well, if you think of it, rubber and foam adapt to whatever ear canal you have and push on the walls in order to get the best seal possible. Acrylic is much more solid and "static". Plus, I would assume our ears change as the years go by, so the original mold isn't a perfect fit as it was the first day.

My experience with custom ear monitors made 8 years ago is that they still fit fine but they're not the kind of "thing" I'd want in my ear for total isolation. This said, I find them more comfy than a perfectly isolating rubber or foam earplug which keeps pressing on the walls of my ear canal.
smile.gif

May 10, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #655 of 3,787
Quote:
Arguably the JH13s sound more audiophile (that is, "true" to the source)

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's the way..ah huh ah huh..I like it..ah huh ah huh.
biggrin.gif

I kinda wonder why you'd want to reiterate so much how you like your 13's on a 16-first-impression thread. Isn't there a "JH13 Appreciation Thread" somewhere?

Almost sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than anyone else...
rolleyes.gif

May 10, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #656 of 3,787

Quote:

eek.gif
 I am surprised by this information that the JHpros do not have as good as isolation as other universal tips, i thought this was one of the benefits getting custom mold for the ear.

JH states a -26db isolation for their pros so it either means the fit is not 100% perfect for the user which is what i am dreading when i get mine or JHA are telling porky's about their stats on isolation?

I used to love my Shure SE530 with yellow foamies tips and that was the most isolation (& comfort) i ever had from a universal.

frown.gif
confused.gif

Can you tell now i got this worried sign going on!

Don't worry, John.  That is just pure BS.  Assuming optimal earmolds and proper fit, the JH and probably all other high-end custom IEMs offer better noise isolation than any universal regardless of whatever tip you're trying to fit on them.  That is one of the benefits of getting customs, afterall.  I had owned several universals and probably spent $150 or more on various Comply and other tips.  Some were better than others, and for me the Westone 3s came the closest, but they were nowhere near as comfortable and isolating than my JHxx Pros.

In fact, I ended up selling my Bose ver.2 Active Noise Cancellation headphones, which I had for over 7 years due to the fact that the JH13/16s are rated higher (-26dB) vs. (-25dB), if I remember correctly.

May 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #657 of 3,787

Quote:
 Also, for those who have been through the process, is most of the wait for the JH's spent in the "earmolds received" status? As in, do you spend a couple weeks in "earmolds received" and once you get the "in the lab" notification it's only a few more days?

Thanks!

Once you get an email from JHaudio stating that your earmolds have been received you should have them in about a week or so.

May 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #659 of 3,787

Quote:
Quote:

I kinda wonder why you'd want to reiterate so much how you like your 13's on a 16-first-impression thread. Isn't there a "JH13 Appreciation Thread" somewhere?

Almost sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than anyone else...
rolleyes.gif

If that post was in any thread I would of replied with the same thing. Not trying to convince anything, really.
beyersmile.png

May 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #660 of 3,787

Quote:
Don't worry, John.  That is just pure BS.  Assuming optimal earmolds and proper fit, the JH and probably all other high-end custom IEMs offer better noise isolation than any universal regardless of whatever tip you're trying to fit on them.  That is one of the benefits of getting customs, afterall.  I had owned several universals and probably spent $150 or more on various Comply and other tips.  Some were better than others, and for me the Westone 3s came the closest, but they were nowhere near as comfortable and isolating than my JHxx Pros.

In fact, I ended up selling my Bose ver.2 Active Noise Cancellation headphones, which I had for over 7 years due to the fact that the JH13/16s are rated higher (-26dB) vs. (-25dB), if I remember correctly.

I disagree entirely. Exception may be (I haven't heard them) the Sensaphonics customs, which are made of silicone and should provide inherently better isolation.

If you peruse the unwieldy JH13 Pro appreciation thread you'll find many posts discussing this. The general consensus there is that the JH earpieces simply do not provide comparable isolation to the better (with regards to isolation) universal tips. Quite a few owners have come to this conclusion from listening environments including busy cities and airplanes, and these owners also attested to proper fits. I myself had my JH13s remolded twice, and not even the tighter intermediate fit quite matched the isolation of my ER-4Ps with either the triple-flanges or their new Glider eartips.

In this case I wouldn't question the fit of your own JH earpieces but the applied fit of your universal earpieces, especially before solipsistically denouncing contrary general opinion. I definitely question if you've ever used the Etymotic ER-4Ps with the triple-flanges -- they quote up to -42dB of attenuation, and I'm fairly certain they're good to at least -35dB. This is well beyond JHAudio's frankly optimistic -26dB.

However, my 16s are indeed perfect replicas of my final 13 fit. I am unsure if their manufacturing process has changed since last year to make the earpieces more isolating. I know that Ultimate Ears employs a process where they coat the earpiece mold with a final microlayer of acrylic for optimal isolation and a tighter fit. Nonetheless I doubt JHAudio manufactures any of their earpieces with isolation in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back