JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 10, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #676 of 3,787
I've made an agreement to pay the $100 rush fee, since I have an incredibly tight timeline. They promised two days, tops, ON APRIL 26th (the day they received my impressions). My trip is in 3 days, and the customs haven't arrived yet. Apparently, JH took the liberty not to inform me that they did not in fact charge me, and that they have not received a shipment of drivers from Europe because of the recent volcano, and will not be able to keep the promise of 2 days. I'm not bashing JH Audio just yet, since I still have time left. However, FYI, they have a shipment of drivers they are waiting on and this will add to the long wait all of us are having =)

May 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #677 of 3,787

Quote:
Ok, thanks for clarifying and for sharing your experiences with the 13s/16s.  Just curious, what are the monitors you use on-stage with foam tips that give you the best isolation?

Also, you noted that the 16s do not provide any additional "headstage" over the 13s.  Others have said that they do, and this is what allows the extra sub-bass to breathe and not intrude on the other frequencies.  So how do you define "headstage"?  People seem to be using this word to reflect 2 different concepts:  "Soundstage" (but translated to the more constricted space of the inner ear for IEMs) and the ability of an IEM to play at higher volumes and/or take in more sounds without distorting.  How were you using the term?  If you have any other thoughts on the 13/16 comparison, please feel free to share them :)

They're not monitors, just generic earplugs. I'm not on-stage, just on-set.. part of the stage crew.
smile.gif

I refer to the headstage with regards to width and image specificity -- how far apart the separate sounds are and their respective placement in the stereo image. In these two categories I detect no difference between the 13 and 16.

May 10, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #678 of 3,787

Quote:
I've made an agreement to pay the $100 rush fee, since I have an incredibly tight timeline. They promised two days, tops, ON APRIL 26th (the day they received my impressions). My trip is in 3 days, and the customs haven't arrived yet. Apparently, JH took the liberty not to inform me that they did not in fact charge me, and that they have not received a shipment of drivers from Europe because of the recent volcano, and will not be able to keep the promise of 2 days. I'm not bashing JH Audio just yet, since I still have time left. However, FYI, they have a shipment of drivers they are waiting on and this will add to the long wait all of us are having =)

Interesting, when did they receive your impressions?  Who told you that they're awaiting a shipment of drivers?  Just asking because you said they did not tell you that they haven't charged you yet, so when did they tell you about the delayed shipment?  This might explain why it seems like no one in the last week or so seems to have reported receiving their 16s, or even getting "in lab" notices.

Damn volcano!  They could've gone old school and shipped them via freighter...

May 10, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #679 of 3,787
Oops, time for clarification.
Jaime emailed me on May 3rd, saying that they could not keep their promise of a two-business-day shipement because of the volcano.
When I asked them, "Well, since you charged me $100 you have a financial reason and customer-service reason to get it to me ASAP.
To this Jaime replied, "We are sorry, and because of the situation we are in, we have not charged you the $100 just yet."

May 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #680 of 3,787
I think you got it mixed up. The 16's doesn't have more headstage than the 13's, it has more headroom. When the bass can be driven beyond normal listening volumes and not distort. This will only happen in a live event at volumes higher than what most people listen to. Hardly ever in a normal recording. Just like 3X0 stated, on a normal recording the 16's has more bass heavy sound while the 13's has a more "True to the source" sound. I prefer listening to music, not the coloration of my speakers. So I know I've made the right choice. Prior to my JH13 Pro purchase I was always wowed at first by headphones and earphones because what wowed me was a coloration of the sound. Then later on that coloration bugged me and which then lead me a neutral high end custom. At first the JH13's wowed me with that deep sub-bass emphasis I've never heard before in a headphone or earphone. But, then it began to bug me, because the bass would become overpowering at times. Then I realized that this coloration is a welcome coloration that prevents the music from sounding clinical and sterile. It seems as if Jerry some how boosted the already monster sub bass emphasis of the 13's some more without ruining things, Kudos to him. Hope everyone enjoys their 16's, I know I'm enjoying my 13's every time I hit "play" .
smile.gif

May 10, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #681 of 3,787

Quote:
Oops, time for clarification.
Jaime emailed me on May 3rd, saying that they could not keep their promise of a two-business-day shipement because of the volcano.
When I asked them, "Well, since you charged me $100 you have a financial reason and customer-service reason to get it to me ASAP.
To this Jaime replied, "We are sorry, and because of the situation we are in, we have not charged you the $100 just yet."

They promised you that you would get it 2 days after they recieve the molds ?

May 10, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #682 of 3,787

Quote:
I think you got it mixed up. The 16's doesn't have more headstage than the 13's, it has more headroom. When the bass can be driven beyond normal listening volumes and not distort. This will only happen in a live event at volumes higher than what most people listen to. Hardly ever in a normal recording. Just like 3X0 stated, on a normal recording the 16's has more bass heavy sound while the 13's has a more "True to the source" sound. I prefer listening to music, not the coloration of my speakers. So I know I've made the right choice. Prior to my JH13 Pro purchase I was always wowed at first by headphones and earphones because what wowed me was a coloration of the sound. Then later on that coloration bugged me and which then lead me a neutral high end custom. At first the JH13's wowed me with that deep sub-bass emphasis I've never heard before in a headphone or earphone. But, then it began to bug me, because the bass would become overpowering at times. Then I realized that this coloration is a welcome coloration that prevents the music from sounding clinical and sterile. It seems as if Jerry some how boosted the already monster sub bass emphasis of the 13's some more without ruining things, Kudos to him. Hope everyone enjoys their 16's, I know I'm enjoying my 13's every time I hit "play" .
smile.gif

Heh, my turn to say "please stop."  I kind of liked your early posts where you wanted clarification on what else was different about the 16s other than better quality/quantity bass than the 13s, but then you wouldn't stop dumping on the 16s as "colored" and trumpeting the 13s as the greatest ever.  Without having heard them, I can safely say that the 13s are in a three-way tie for the best IEMs out there (with the UE18), and  it's probably just a matter of preference.  I don't think the 16s will make the 13s obsolete, so there isn't a need to defend them.  We're just discussing differences, not necessarily improvements or weaknesses.

May 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #683 of 3,787

Quote:
Heh, my turn to say "please stop."  I kind of liked your early posts where you wanted clarification on what else was different about the 16s other than better quality/quantity bass than the 13s, but then you wouldn't stop dumping on the 16s as "colored" and trumpeting the 13s as the greatest ever.  Without having heard them, I can safely say that the 13s are in a three-way tie for the best IEMs out there (with the UE18), and  it's probably just a matter of preference.  I don't think the 16s will make the 13s obsolete, so there isn't a need to defend them.  We're just discussing differences, not necessarily improvements or weaknesses.

Actually, the 13's and the 16's are colored. None of them are completely flat. The 13's has 6db boost in the sub bass and then from there on then it's a flat frequency response with a slowly descending treble. The 16's has around a 9db boost in the sub bass and then from there on then it's just like the 13's. The 13's are just more neutral in comparison to the 16's. They both have a monstrous bass response. The 16's are just more monstrous.
smile.gif

May 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #685 of 3,787
^ Do you own a JH16?

May 10, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #686 of 3,787

Quote:

Actually, the 13's and the 16's are colored. None of them are completely flat. The 13's has 6db boost in the sub bass and then from there on then it's a flat frequency response with a slowly descending treble. The 16's has around a 9db boost in the sub bass and then from there on then it's just like the 13's. The 13's are just more neutral in comparison to the 16's. They both have a monstrous bass response. The 16's are just more monstrous.
smile.gif

Have you seen a frequency graph for either IEM?  I haven't, and I don't put much stock in them to begin with, but you seem to be describing a hypothetical graph in some detail.  I was just going by the majority of impressions, such as Jude's and Asr's (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482773/review-jh13/0), where they describe the 13s as flat in relation to most other full-size headphones.

In any event, you just posted that the 13s are more "true to the source" than the 16s.  Based on the available comparisons between the 13s and 16s, that would be a pretty strong statement even if you had heard both, which of course you haven't.

May 10, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #687 of 3,787

Quote:

smile.gif

16 > 13.
etysmile.gif
deadhorse.gif

May 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #688 of 3,787
^ Oh, so Sonic748i hasn't even heard both IEMs... 

May 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #689 of 3,787
Quote:
^ Do you own a JH16?

" I know on head-fi it's very easy to exaggerate meager differences but from my listening the 13s and 16s are mostly the same. There are no differences in soundstage, attack, decay, transients, timbre, imaging, et alia as far as these ears can hear. I was hoping for the 16s to have a slightly more spacious headstage, but that didn't happen. It's really that extra sub-bass, which is just a matter of taste. " Quoted from 3XO

" If you have (or have heard a good demo of) the JH13 Pro, and tend to prefer more bass impact than the JH13 Pro currently has (to my ears, the JH13 Pro doesn't lack for bass at all), then the JH16 Pro will give it to you with no tradeoffs that I can hear. " Quoted from Jude

" [size=large][size=10pt]The 16 isn’t offering better sound. The biggest difference is going to be in the low end. The 16 is more bass heavy than the 13. But as far as detail goes, it’s just as good as the 13. " Quoted from Jerry Harvey[/size][/size]

I don't need to hear the JH16 Pro when I'm hearing the same thing about over and over again, especially from the creator.

May 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #690 of 3,787

Quote:
Have you seen a frequency graph for either IEM?  I haven't, and I don't put much stock in them to begin with, but you seem to be describing a hypothetical graph in some detail.  I was just going by the majority of impressions, such as Jude's and Asr's (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482773/review-jh13/0), where they describe the 13s as flat in relation to most other full-size headphones.

In any event, you just posted that the 13s are more "true to the source" than the 16s.  Based on the available comparisons between the 13s and 16s, that would be a pretty strong statement even if you had heard both, which of course you haven't.

Jerry Havery said the 13's had a boost in the sub-bass 40-50hz region at about 6db's and the 16's had a even bigger boost at about 3db's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back