JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #661 of 3,787
Thanks Oomingmak and Zurdyo for the responses.  Zurdyo, I'm about 10 days behind you, so hopefully you get in the lab soon, and I get my notice a few days later.  I cannot wait!
atsmile.gif

May 10, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #664 of 3,787
solipsistically = : a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing; also : extreme egocentrism 
confused_face.gif

See, I learn something new everyday on Head Fi.

May 10, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #665 of 3,787

Quote:
solipsistically = : a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing; also : extreme egocentrism 
confused_face.gif

See, I learn something new everyday on Head Fi.

Haha 
redface.gif
that makes it sound a lot more brusque than what I was trying to get at: basically it's important to consider the opinions and experiences of others.
smile.gif

May 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #666 of 3,787

Quote:
You guys can really take your time to wait....mine (and the others in my batch) have waited 5 weeks and are still counting down
confused_face.gif

Great thing about JHA is they really take care of you and update you, so at least you won't feel that bad waiting for it.

ouch that is brutal. I hope mine dont take that long. the wait is obviously the hardest part. On the subject of isolation my shure se530s have great noise isolation but reviews i have read said that jh-XX r a little better but thats there opinion

May 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #667 of 3,787

Quote:
Thanks Oomingmak and Zurdyo for the responses.  Zurdyo, I'm about 10 days behind you, so hopefully you get in the lab soon, and I get my notice a few days later.  I cannot wait!
atsmile.gif

You know what, I misread your post. Once you get an earmolds received notification it should be about a week before you get an in the lab notice and then another week before you get a notice that your item was shipped. I don't know if they're still backed up with JH16 pre orders though.

May 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #668 of 3,787
my shures have decent isolation, but nowhere near as good as the etys, which feel like you're wearing some industrial earplugs.  I don't really mind whichever way, as I don't have immediate plans to use the JH's in particularly noisy environments.

May 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #669 of 3,787
My Ear molds where recieved the same day as yours. Hopefully it isnt too much longer for us! My order # is 1586, whats yours? Just so we can get a picture of how far off our orders are.

Quote:
atsmile.gif

Quote:
You know what, I misread your post. Once you get an earmolds received notification it should be about a week before you get an in the lab notice and then another week before you get a notice that your item was shipped. I don't know if they're still backed up with JH16 pre orders though.

I hope this is true. My ear molds where recieved last thursday (may 6th). So im hoping I only got a little bit over a few weeks left I sent an email to Brittany on thursday asking some questions but got no email back yet
frown.gif
, Ill wait though as im sure they are busy.

May 10, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #670 of 3,787

Quote:
They do not isolate as well as universal foams. It's really not an issue though unless you are in a very loud environment, as they still isolate enough to easily hear music and eliminate background noise.

Quote:
Well, if you think of it, rubber and foam adapt to whatever ear canal you have and push on the walls in order to get the best seal possible. Acrylic is much more solid and "static". Plus, I would assume our ears change as the years go by, so the original mold isn't a perfect fit as it was the first day.

My experience with custom ear monitors made 8 years ago is that they still fit fine but they're not the kind of "thing" I'd want in my ear for total isolation. This said, I find them more comfy than a perfectly isolating rubber or foam earplug which keeps pressing on the walls of my ear canal.
smile.gif

Quote:
Don't worry, John.  That is just pure BS.  Assuming optimal earmolds and proper fit, the JH and probably all other high-end custom IEMs offer better noise isolation than any universal regardless of whatever tip you're trying to fit on them.  That is one of the benefits of getting customs, afterall.  I had owned several universals and probably spent $150 or more on various Comply and other tips.  Some were better than others, and for me the Westone 3s came the closest, but they were nowhere near as comfortable and isolating than my JHxx Pros.

In fact, I ended up selling my Bose ver.2 Active Noise Cancellation headphones, which I had for over 7 years due to the fact that the JH13/16s are rated higher (-26dB) vs. (-25dB), if I remember correctly.

Thanks guys for the (hate to use the pun) "impressions"!  but i think you can only go by what we can only personally find best with our ears and they are after all our ears are uniquely different from each other so even universal tips as i have found some fit me great but the same tip not so for others and vice versa, so i think it will be a case that i will find out for myself soon,  as long as the fit is perfect.  

How do custom manufacturers work out the isolation in db in the first place so i.e. JHA can in public state a -26 db isolation?

I would love to know what my Shure yellow foamies where -db as i found it hard to hear people talk which is what i found when i tried the JHpro demo's two weeks ago.

@ X30 -" Nonetheless I doubt JHAudio manufactures any of their earpieces with isolation in mind."
Would that surly negate half the reason they make custom molds though?
as this process is meant to bring better isolation i thought, in theory anyway.
As i said above and taking into account what you said was to be the case i might as well just ask Jerry for a pair of demo pros if my custom molds did not isolate well enough as i found they was just like putting in a pair of SE530's for isolation, size and tight comfortable fit!  lol

This will always be a tricky discussion with all our ears being unique i guess and will one way or the other by hook or crook find out what customs feel like in the ear in the not to distant future.

May 10, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #671 of 3,787
I wish I had the budget for the JH16's, for now, all I can do is dream :)

May 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #672 of 3,787

Quote:
I wish I had the budget for the JH16's, for now, all I can do is dream :)

That is why two iem's sold (SE530 & IE8's) and some hard saving, four months later i am ready to pull the trigger on a JHpro 
wink_face.gif

Get saving my friend and your dream can come true....

May 10, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #673 of 3,787

Quote:
Nonetheless I doubt JHAudio manufactures any of their earpieces with isolation in mind.

Really?  Custom earpieces designed for musicians performing live on stage weren't meant to provide isolation?  They even have ambient vent options to let in more sound, presumably because the default model may isolate too much of the sound that performers hear on stage.

I guess I'll find out when I get my 16s in a few weeks, but I'll be very surprised if they don't provide more isolation than universal tips, or even my custom UM-56 tips with the Westone 3.  I agree with the previous poster that attainable isolation varies widely from person to person, even with the same earphones and tips.  It may just depend on the synergy between the shape of your ear canal and certain tips.  The same tips can even provide dramatically different isolation on different earphones; double/triple flanges, for example, isolate the best for me on the SE530/W3, but let in a lot of ambient noise on the IE8.

As for the timeline, it's been 2 weeks since they received my impressions and I'm expecting to wait another 1-2 before they hit the lab.  They seem really backed up, and their staff also traveled to an event recently.  But I'm fine with them taking their time, if that helps minimize the need for refits and prevents the odd manufacturing duds like one guy got (open tips with no bores).

May 10, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #674 of 3,787

Quote:
Really?  Custom earpieces designed for musicians performing live on stage weren't meant to provide isolation?  They even have ambient vent options to let in more sound, presumably because the default model may isolate too much of the sound that performers hear on stage.

I guess I'll find out when I get my 16s in a few weeks, but I'll be very surprised if they don't provide more isolation than universal tips, or even my custom UM-56 tips with the Westone 3.  I agree with the previous poster that attainable isolation varies widely from person to person, even with the same earphones and tips.  It may just depend on the synergy between the shape of your ear canal and certain tips.  The same tips can even provide dramatically different isolation on different earphones; double/triple flanges, for example, isolate the best for me on the SE530/W3, but let in a lot of ambient noise on the IE8.

As for the timeline, it's been 2 weeks since they received my impressions and I'm expecting to wait another 1-2 before they hit the lab.  They seem really backed up, and their staff also traveled to an event recently.  But I'm fine with them taking their time, if that helps minimize the need for refits and prevents the odd manufacturing duds like one guy got (open tips with no bores).

I stand by what I said. My wording was likely sub-optimal -- what I mean is that the JH earpieces do not make isolation a high priority. I work on-set for a number of concerts and shows and my employer provides orange and yellow foam earplugs. When the show isn't a big deal and not too loud I've used the JH13s and listened to some music on the job. For the louder shows I'm pretty much forced to use the generic foamies for their superior isolation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they surpass your UM56 in isolation, but I don't believe they'll even come close to a set of ER4s with tri-flanges if you've ever used them.

You raise a very good synergistic point though. My ear canals worked unusually well with small Shure SoftFlex tips, and on the iM716s they provided an impressive degree of isolation. I wouldn't be surprised if I got more isolation out of them than people with different ear canals do. With that in mind, they may very well beat quite a few universal tips at isolation. I certainly am not claiming they are worse than all universals at isolation. Rather, I am claiming that they are not superior to all universals at isolation.

May 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #675 of 3,787

Quote:
I stand by what I said. My wording was likely sub-optimal -- what I mean is that the JH earpieces do not make isolation a high priority. I work on-set for a number of concerts and shows and my employer provides orange and yellow foam earplugs. When the show isn't a big deal and not too loud I've used the JH13s and listened to some music on the job. For the louder shows I'm pretty much forced to use the generic foamies for their superior isolation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they surpass your UM56 in isolation, but I don't believe they'll even come close to a set of ER4s with tri-flanges if you've ever used them.

You raise a very good synergistic point though. My ear canals worked unusually well with small Shure SoftFlex tips, and on the iM716s they provided an impressive degree of isolation. I wouldn't be surprised if I got more isolation out of them than people with different ear canals do. With that in mind, they may very well beat quite a few universal tips at isolation. I certainly am not claiming they are worse than all universals at isolation. Rather, I am claiming that they are not superior to all universals at isolation.

Ok, thanks for clarifying and for sharing your experiences with the 13s/16s.  Just curious, what are the monitors you use on-stage with foam tips that give you the best isolation?

Also, you noted that the 16s do not provide any additional "headstage" over the 13s.  Others have said that they do, and this is what allows the extra sub-bass to breathe and not intrude on the other frequencies.  So how do you define "headstage"?  People seem to be using this word to reflect 2 different concepts:  "Soundstage" (but translated to the more constricted space of the inner ear for IEMs) and the ability of an IEM to play at higher volumes and/or take in more sounds without distorting.  How were you using the term?  If you have any other thoughts on the 13/16 comparison, please feel free to share them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back