JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Mar 26, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #3,751 of 3,787
I emailed her last night actually. I suspect I'll get a reply today. Also, they received my impressions in early February and at that time, she told me current build time was around 32-38 business days, so I'm hoping there will be no delay. Thanks for answering my questions.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3,752 of 3,787
What is the best (top 3) DAP for JH16 Pro? I am thinking of getting a DAP for my JH16 Pro.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #3,753 of 3,787
I think the Ibasso dx90 is one of the best all around daps for under $400

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #3,754 of 3,787
Thanks for the suggestion. DX90 it is. Impressed by below review.

http://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-dx50-vs-dx90-dap-shootout/

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #3,755 of 3,787
I finally get to contribute to this thread being the recent recipient of a pair of JH16s. These are of course my opinions. To preface the review, I have NO PROBLEM paying $1,200 for something and admitting I wasted my money. This is my unbiased review.

If I had to use one word to describe these, it'd be POWERFUL! The quad bass drivers really give these things a deep impact. It doesn't increase the overall presence of bass so muddiness shouldn't be of any concern to a prospective buyer (Unless you listen to certain genres. More on that later), but the lower bass frequencies that get a boost create an atmosphere that you can almost feel. The highs are still bright and the mids are still full.

I wouldn't consider these neutral, however. There is a bass bias, but I would only consider this a deterrent if you listened primarily to acoustic or more vocal oriented music. Anything with a full band and drums sounds FANTASTIC. EXPLOSIVE. However, I can see how someone would be a little disappointed when listening to something softer where the warmness could take away from the more delicate sound of a female pianist singing softly into your ears, for example.

But the way I see it, what may be considered shortcomings just give you an excuse to grab another pair from your collection. I have a pair of 6 driver upgraded UM Mages that sound perfectly neutral to me and I'm pleased that I can still find use for them. From what I've read, the JH13 appear to have a similar sound signature to my UMs. If so, any listener would be perfectly suited to own them both and never have to search for another pair of monitors.

P.S.
For the record, I don't like every pair of custom monitors I've tried. I've never had a pair of universal remolds that weren't fit for the garbage and a few months ago I bought a pair of 8 driver InearZ and immediately sold them for half the price paid. They were absolutely horrible. The 4 driver variation of UM's Mage was also a little underwhelming, hence the upgrade. It wasn't bad, but just wasn't the sound signature I had been looking for.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #3,756 of 3,787
Welcome to the club! I agree with your description. Powerful is a good word. Looking forward to more of your observations!

popcorn.gif

May 13, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #3,759 of 3,787
I think the Ibasso dx90 is one of the best all around daps for under $400

I'm actually thinking of a major upgrade: get a pair of JH16s and a fitting DAP to go along with it. I've read a lot of good reviews about the DX90 but kind of got the impression of it having a rather dominant mid-bass. Being strong on the bass side is also something that comes up a lot with respect to the JH16s.

Not being a bass-head, but still being very fond of a deep and accurate bass that does not distort the rest of the spectrum, are the JH16s and the DX90 a good pair? Isn't that adds up being too bassy? Any alternative DAPs to consider? Details, layering and clarity are very important to me.

May 17, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #3,760 of 3,787
Hi guys,

Been looking for a portable amp sub £100.00 ($160.00 USD) for my iPhone 6  and JH16 pair.

Any suggestions? Really new to the amp word so really dont know what i should be looking for.

The smaller the amp is, the better.

Many thanks 

Ed

May 17, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #3,761 of 3,787
See if you can pick up a 3G arrow I had it with an iPhone and it matched up well imp plus it's super thin

Hi guys,

Been looking for a portable amp sub £100.00 ($160.00 USD) for my iPhone 6  and JH16 pair.

Any suggestions? Really new to the amp word so really dont know what i should be looking for.

Many thanks 

Ed

May 17, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #3,763 of 3,787
Check the boards I got 2 used for 150-170

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,764 of 3,787
Just tried them with my new JH13s.  They really make a big difference.  I thought the seal was already pretty tight as they came from JH Audio, but the Comply Soft Wraps perfected the seal - and got rid of the microphonic and footfall thudding I was experiencing..  I was skeptical, but am now a believer.  Now I see why JHA supplied a sample Comply Soft Wrap with my JH13s.  Works for me!

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #3,765 of 3,787
See if you can pick up a 3G arrow I had it with an iPhone and it matched up well imp plus it's super thin

Hi guys,

Many thanks 

Ed

http://www.ibasso.com/products-detail.php?id=269

Users who are viewing this thread

Back