JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 7, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #3,766 of 3,787
I'm actually thinking of a major upgrade: get a pair of JH16s and a fitting DAP to go along with it. I've read a lot of good reviews about the DX90 but kind of got the impression of it having a rather dominant mid-bass. Being strong on the bass side is also something that comes up a lot with respect to the JH16s.

Not being a bass-head, but still being very fond of a deep and accurate bass that does not distort the rest of the spectrum, are the JH16s and the DX90 a good pair? Isn't that adds up being too bassy? Any alternative DAPs to consider? Details, layering and clarity are very important to me.

I have the JH-13 and the JH-16.  I prefer my 13s.  They have a faster, punchier, cleaner sound.  I switch off, but if I had to choose, 13s for me.  I also pair both with a DX90, and it's excellent.  YMMV.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,767 of 3,787
http://i.imgur.com/iAYZmoW.jpg

I've been using the UE11 for 8 years now (basshead lol). My JH16s came in today (molds shipped out 7/1, then July 4th weekend, JH16 completed 7/17). My god the bass on the JH16 is amazing paired up with the RSA Predator - light years ahead of the UE11. At first I thought the JH16 was lacking dimension the moment I plugged it in but at hour 5 of listening, boy do these things open up! It'll get only better with more usage :)

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #3,768 of 3,787
  http://i.imgur.com/iAYZmoW.jpg

I've been using the UE11 for 8 years now (basshead lol). My JH16s came in today (molds shipped out 7/1, then July 4th weekend, JH16 completed 7/17). My god the bass on the JH16 is amazing paired up with the RSA Predator - light years ahead of the UE11. At first I thought the JH16 was lacking dimension the moment I plugged it in but at hour 5 of listening, boy do these things open up! It'll get only better with more usage :)

I have a new pair of UE11's and they and the JH16's are pretty close for bass. They are a bit different in the highs. Fun pair to trade off listening time with.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #3,769 of 3,787
Yeah, I thought the JH11 and JH16 had similar levels of bass..it's been a while though..

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #3,770 of 3,787
I have always been one of the most incredulous people out there, constantly discounting the fact that "blah blah blah cables, blah blah balanced, it sounds better due to placebo effect from you wasting money on it". I finally decided to get an RSA Protector and balanced V3 TWag cables. I am a believer now LOL WOW do these things improve the music! The bass has more impact, the mids sound even more lush, and the highs sound even crisper. There is DEFINITELY more instrument separation on top of it and a very noticeable increase in soundstage. It will only get better as I log more hours on the cable and amp :D

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #3,772 of 3,787
I've read SOME of the 252 pages of JH16 PRO first-impressions, and i must say that there is a lot of opinions here :)   Here's my story. 

I am a pro-level drummer from Norway, and i have been using custom IEMs for about 6 years, but beeing a drummer i have often asked for a SUB-speaker in addition to my CIEM's to get the punch from (especially) the bassdrum that i need.  A good friend tipped me of on the JH16's, and after doing impressions of the ear, i ordrered, with the "express-delivery feature" JHAudio have (250 buck extra). The CIEM's i used before was from a company called "Starkey" (French company) - and had only 4 drivers in total per ear. 

- 9 days from impressions in Oslo, Norway, until i received my JH16's.
Note to everyone: When doing impressions, ALWAYS keep mouth fully opened, and still - ALL the time.  And don't wait 6 months to order your IEM's, because the impressions are "fresh" and can (and will) change over time. Use someone who is recomended by JHAudio, if possible, because "bad fitting" is rarely JHAudio's fault :)  The open mouth will ensure a tight fit! 

- The JH16s is perfect for me, both on stage and off stage: Natural, with good (and some extra) bass.  I don't need no SUB no more, and the mid and top is super, bringing out the right tone of vocals, and both keys and guitar (and everything else) sound just fantastic. 
Keep in mind that the JH16's are not bought as a "hifi listening device", but as monitors, and therefore i may have other demands with my IEM's than with my hifi-home-setup (I use B&W and Electrokompagniet exclusively there BTW).

You know that feeling, when your drums sound as good in your CIEM's that it sounds in a well dampened acoustically adjusted room - then you have found THE product! :) 

I love them, absolutely love them!  By the way, exscuse my English - after all I am Norwegian :wink: 

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #3,773 of 3,787
Hi guys need some help....

I bought the Null Audio Arete series cable for my JH16s.

Sound is fantastic.

The only problem is is that the right pin side of the cable is severely loose. As in, when I put them into my right JH16, they'll pretty much slip out in its own??!!

I've contacted Null Audio but so far they're unhelpful. I'd rather not have to send it back and wait anyway.

Anyone know of a way I can fix it??

Any help is very much appreciated

Ed

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #3,774 of 3,787
Hi guys need some help....

I bought the Null Audio Arete series cable for my JH16s.

Sound is fantastic.

The only problem is is that the right pin side of the cable is severely loose. As in, when I put them into my right JH16, they'll pretty much slip out in its own??!!

I've contacted Null Audio but so far they're unhelpful. I'd rather not have to send it back and wait anyway.

Anyone know of a way I can fix it??

Any help is very much appreciated

Ed

This is more a sign your right side female sockets are loose or slightly stretched rather than Null Audio's end, especially if the cable was brand new with new male pins. You can flatten the pins slightly with some pliers to fill the gap.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #3,777 of 3,787
Dec 15, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #3,778 of 3,787
What is an estimate of the break in time for the JH16? I got mine today and was not impressed initially coming from the HE1000, but seem to sound much better tonight already after a few hours. The trebles where muffled initially but they seem to open now, the mid bass was too dense and the low bass was not there. But again tonight all seems to get back in shape from deep bass to trebles :)

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #3,779 of 3,787
  What is an estimate of the break in time for the JH16? I got mine today and was not impressed initially coming from the HE1000, but seem to sound much better tonight already after a few hours. The trebles where muffled initially but they seem to open now, the mid bass was too dense and the low bass was not there. But again tonight all seems to get back in shape from deep bass to trebles :)

They will continue to get better with time :) You should try balanced input in the future (TWAG V3 into Protector/SR-71). I was the biggest skeptic until I made the jump, it is like the Jh16 on crack, the instrument separation is unreal :D

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #3,780 of 3,787
  They will continue to get better with time :) You should try balanced input in the future (TWAG V3 into Protector/SR-71). I was the biggest skeptic until I made the jump, it is like the Jh16 on crack, the instrument separation is unreal :D

Thanks

This sounds great!
I have balance output already with a ALO CDM which drives the JH16 pretty well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back