JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 8, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #3,541 of 3,787
Jun 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,542 of 3,787
Hello guys, I'm sure you guys browse all the other jh16 threads and probably find me posting on all of them.  But I seriously need some answers.  I switched to the silver cables and the jh16's are a bit brighter now.  With the bass boost off, it's no problem anymore.  But with the bass boost on, (ipod nano g6 lod to jds labs c5 amp), the bass is really good, but everything else gets a bit warm.  The details are there, but the vocals have too much body.

So the question is that are all jh16's like this?  Or do I just need a better source?  Or maybe more break in?

I feel like the jh16's are an octave or 2 too far south for me.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,543 of 3,787
Quote:
Hello guys, I'm sure you guys browse all the other jh16 threads and probably find me posting on all of them.  But I seriously need some answers.  I switched to the silver cables and the jh16's are a bit brighter now.  With the bass boost off, it's no problem anymore.  But with the bass boost on, (ipod nano g6 lod to jds labs c5 amp), the bass is really good, but everything else gets a bit warm.  The details are there, but the vocals have too much body.

So the question is that are all jh16's like this?  Or do I just need a better source?  Or maybe more break in?

I feel like the jh16's are an octave or 2 too far south for me.

How many hours do you have on them? I'll be in Madison for work in a couple of weeks and I'll have the HP-P1 and my iPod with all lossless files with me. You could give that a try and see what you think.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3,544 of 3,787
Oh wow, that would be totally awesome!  Just pm me where and when you'd like to meet!  I always wanted to try this meet thing, even if it's just 2 people lols.

right now I have less than 30 hours on them.  They're only 2.5 days old.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3,545 of 3,787
Quote:
Oh wow, that would be totally awesome!  Just pm me where and when you'd like to meet!  I always wanted to try this meet thing, even if it's just 2 people lols.

right now I have less than 30 hours on them.  They're only 2.5 days old.

It took a couple of hundred hours on mine before they were whipped into shape. I would wait on making any gear changes around them until you get to that point.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #3,546 of 3,787
I figured (and hope) that burn in would be the case.  In any case I am still in the market for a better source, I would like to jack my jh16's into as many sources as possible.  Was actually thinking about hp-p1, CLAS, fiio x3, and a few others.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3,547 of 3,787
Ive been around the cable world and back, and I'm settling on the stock cables.  All of the cables imho change the sound, but there's always trade offs.  I did the same for my TF10, all stock cables.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3,548 of 3,787
You know what?  with the jh16's I noticed that mainstream music is pretty intense, and really clear and brighter.  It's just really warm with most trance/techno/indies.  Perhaps I should chalk it up to just poor recordings?  *WOAH! I swear someone just ran behind me!* --Does anyone else get the feeling that someone is watching you when you're listening to good recordings with your jh16's?  anyway back to topic, I realized that the JH16's just become really really warm with bad recordings.  I don't want to throw my indie (as well as most of my techno/trance) music away though. 

btw kimchee, you ever played a game called TERA?  If not nevermind this question
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,549 of 3,787
This is a good example of needing to give a top end piece of gear several types of music and several quality devices in the chain to really explore what they can do. Enjoy the experience of exploring these top end CIEM's!

beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #3,550 of 3,787
Quote:
So for the past month or so I've been shopping for a big audio system for my living room.  I think I've finally figured out what I'm getting, it's around $10,000, and here's the best part--my JH 16's w/freq are still better.  
blink.gif

I mean, the clarity and low-end definition on the 16's is just so astoundingly good, it's hard to go to something that can't match it.

I can relate to your position. I recently got a hifi system -- though only $2000 -- and my CIEMs kick its butt for conveying pure detail. The CIEMs (I have ACS T1s, but was thinking about getting JH16s) seem to convey every nuance in certain parts of the frequency spectrum. However, I find that when I'm listening to music for pure enjoyment, as opposed to critically, the hifi is now my go-to choice because of its physical sound impact, the naturalness of certain instruments (piano sounds ways better on hifi), and I also find the hifi is totally fatigue free. I think a good compromise is my Grado PS1000s as they have additional impact and involvement over the CIEMs, are less fatiguing, and convey fantastic detail. Horses for courses I guess. I love all my kit ... just in different ways. Hope you enjoy your new system when you get it
beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,551 of 3,787
I have no idea what people mean when they say fatigue.  I never get fatigued listening to stuff.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #3,552 of 3,787
Quote:
I have no idea what people mean when they say fatigue.  I never get fatigued listening to stuff.

bright iem/headphones usually will cause fatigue when listening for a long time

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #3,554 of 3,787

Users who are viewing this thread

Back